Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

DJT in your portfolio - the first two funds reporting (edited)

1234568»

Comments

• Up on high volume and questionable "news". Mini short-squeeze as a result?

Based on his ability to stack up lies without any fear of repercussions, I would take any such statements lightly.
  • JD_co said:

Up on high volume and questionable "news". Mini short-squeeze as a result?

Based on his ability to stack up lies without any fear of repercussions, I would take any such statements lightly.

And now he's bleating that NASDAQ halted trading in the stock twice today ... and how dare they!

I swear a bag of rocks is more intelligent than this weirdo....
  • edited September 14
  • edited September 15
    He just wants attention, nothing more. If he bails on the stock, it implies that he has no confidence of winning the election. He claims he does not need the money. Right?
  • Sven said:

He claims he does not need the money. Right?

Yeah, he "claims" a lot of things.

• JD_co said:

Sven said:

If he didn't need the money in 2016 or 2020 or 2024, he's sure doing a lot of grifting for dollars. Maybe it's true that he doesn't NEED money, it's just that he'd prefer paying his lawyers with other people's money and not his own.
  • rforno said:

JD_co said:

Sven said:

If he didn't need the money in 2016 or 2020 or 2024, he's sure doing a lot of grifting for dollars. Maybe it's true that he doesn't NEED money, it's just that he'd prefer paying his lawyers with other people's money and not his own.
    You could make an argument for him "betting on himself" winning the 2024 election, thus immediately boosting the share price of DJT.

As for the grifting, selling bibles, selling gold sneakers, selling his soul, now Trump plans to help launch his sons' Crypto business. It wasn't bad enough that he made billions though his son-in-law, Kushner, via Saudi investments.
  • edited September 15
    Here's a writeup of his latest crypto scheme....

https://www.coindesk.com/business/2024/09/04/in-trump-backed-crypto-project-insiders-are-poised-for-unusually-big-paydays/

Trump fancies himself a master builder so I guess he’s staying true to form by building a massive pyramid … scheme. (Not really a pyramid scheme, but the self-serving analogy still works.)
  • edited September 17
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-09-17/trump-pledges-to-restore-salt-write-off-the-tax-break-he-curbed

Behind a paywall but you get the idea.

This is becoming like an Oprah show - everyone gets a tax break. Let us abolish taxes.
  • BaluBalu said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-09-17/trump-pledges-to-restore-salt-write-off-the-tax-break-he-curbed

Behind a paywall but you get the idea.

This is becoming like an Oprah show - everyone gets a tax break. Let us abolish taxes.

In recent weeks, it's become evident in his remarks that he's offering to give everyone whaever they want in a desperate attempt to win their votes to get back into office and stay out of prison. As a result, he's ending up angering just as many people who he might entice. But frankly I don't think his entreaties are gaining any traction and are coming across as just that: frantic pandering.

No tax on tips? (pander to wage workers)
    Save IVF? (pander to independent/dem families, anger the evangelicals)
    Eliminate SALT? (pander to NY/NJ GOPs who are still angry with the SALT limitations)
    Mass deportations? (pander to MAGA base, but impact big companies who hire on them)
    Launch a national cryptocoin (pander to rich crypto bros, impact the financial system)
    etc etc etc.

(.... but not a word about guns, which panders to the NRA and angers much of the country)
  • It would be a relief to think that in a few months, his main public role could boil down to a "celebrity defendant" in various court cases. Consigned to the dustbin of history.
  • edited September 17
    Rick,

The idea is to spin so hard, people’s mind becomes numb to reality and they become a single issue voter. The best voter for a politician is a single issue voter. E.g., many would vote for you if you promise to lower or eliminate taxes even if that means their mother might be given to the Taliban. Some are simply anarchists and enjoy chaos around them. I know one person who will vote for anyone who promises to defund the military. At the end of the day, they all define their happiness (the pursuit of all men) with that single issue. I know many PhDs, Drs, Engineers, and a few of my bosses (nice people), and a few of my family members who are single issue voters. I have not been able to profile single issue voters - they are any of us. That is why I do not take it seriously activism in this forum or when people post supporting or dissing a political party or even post outlandish conspiracy theories. I am like Dude, tell me what is that you are really after. DJT is trying to be the platform for all the single issue voters. You can not blame him for trying to win and the attendant personal benefits.

As to making one numb, I see you already overlooked two developments: no taxes on overtime pay and both the Dem candidates have already said they own gun(s) and one of them is a hunter too. So, DJT can not claim championing second amendment anymore and so he quickly moved on. You got to keep up with him!

We might miss when this show is over. Enjoy while it lasts.
  • I'm going to vote for whichever one promises no tax on anything mentioned here on MFO and in fact a tax refund on anything mentioned here that loses value.

Failing that I'll just have to vote for whichever one lies the least. H'mmm... who would that be?
  • edited September 17
    For all of us, just as with investing, it may not be a bad idea to consider the possibility of an election outcome different from the one we desire.

@Old_Joe, I too was trying to imagine how outlandish promises can get and thought unlimited tax refund for losses is a possibility. This can be pushed thru as incentives for investing in America.

I think a real tax idea yet to be pushed is unlimited like kind exchange for primary residence. That can unfreeze the housing market. The other idea is allow people to carryover their mortgage to the new house when the current house is sold.
  • Launch a national cryptocoin (pander to rich crypto bros, [negatively] impact the financial system)

But, but ... you don't seem to understand. Impacting the financial system is not a negative, it's a positive to take down the anti-conservative banks.
    Other speakers after Trump, including his eldest son, Don Jr., talked about embracing cryptocurrency as an alternative to what they allege is a banking system tilted against conservatives.
    https://apnews.com/article/trump-crypto-digital-assets-a08456edc5947451f3f23b184ed9fb29

Trump has done so well with DJT (and Trump U, and the Trump steaks, and ...), why not launch another business? He's learned so much about crypto from great advisers:
    Barron, ha[s] shown “great judgement” on the technology. “I think my children opened my eyes more than anything else,” he said. “Barron’s a young guy, but he knows it. He talks about his wallet, he’s got four wallets or something ... he knows this stuff inside and out.”
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-launches-crypto-company-amid-115939262.html

I'll see his four wallets and raise him one ... or something.
  • I am woman. 'Nuff said.
  • Anna said:

I am woman. 'Nuff said.

The swing voter / decider all the polls, not to mention the politicians, should be focusing on.

• edited 2:42PM
    Speaking of "polls": As of 11:15 PDST-

DJIA 0.22%
    S&P Mid Cap 400 1.25%
    Technology 0.16%
    DJT: $15.65 -3.62%
  • Old_Joe said:

Speaking of "polls": As of 11:15 PST-

DJIA 0.22%
    S&P Mid Cap 400 1.25%
    Technology 0.16%
    DJT: $15.65 -3.62%

So. Much. Winning!

He desperately wants it to stay above (IIRC) 12-and-change so he can sell at some point....

• I'm male and single issue voter. I have too many women in my life I care about and don't want someone else making their medical choices for them. I'm hoping women come out of the woodwork to say Hell NO! DJT says he supports IVF but the GOP just blocked it in congress. I have a niece who wouldn't have a family if the GOP were in power 20 years ago and blocked IVF. She is a Trump supported... another one like many voting against their own self interests. I think she 's crazy but she watches FOX all the time and is a product of her environment.