Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

DJT in your portfolio - the first two funds reporting (edited)

Comments

• Mark said:

Here's your big chance:

As reported by Barrons today:
    "Shares of Trump Media & Technology Group, parent of Truth Social and majority owned by Trump, are trading below $20 a share after falling on Wednesday and extending losses after hours. Trump’s stake is valued around $2.2 billion, though he can’t start selling shares until a restricted period ends in September."

Hard pass here.

Only hope DJT price dives further before he can even begin dumping his, umm, "position" next month. I'll never understand how a Presidential candidate was even allowed to go through with this in publicly traded markets.

Never smelled right, and still don't.
  • I have not been following this thread well. So, pardon my enquiry. Why are you guys following the price ticks of this thing? Is there are catalyst, such as vesting, dilution, etc., tied to a price level?
  • Since so many of his cult rubes bought into this as a way of showing blind support for him, one must consider that by dumping his shares and driving down the price, he'd be screwing his own followers/base ... now whether they care or not about that is another matter, but it could be politically dangerous. (Or does HE care about them beyond their vote? Don't answer that....)

That said, I wouldn't be bold enough to short this duck b/c all it takes is a Thiel or Musk or Andreeson or Russian/Saudi/Quatari buddy of his to make (or hint of doing) a big buy just to save the share price and curry favor with DonOLD, thus driving the stock up in a massive short squeeze.
  • Blind rubes? Why the venom? Can’t we keep things civilized with those we disagree with without having to resort to name calling?
  • If he currently owns 115M shares of DJT, and the daily average volume is under 8M........it will take a lot of third-party assistance to prop this beauty up next month.

That's assuming he gets away with selling a big chunk of his restricted holdings. Not a given, but a perp is gonna try to find a way.
  • Blind rubes? Why the venom? Can’t we keep things civilized with those we disagree with without having to resort to name calling?

Sure, that was political. Sorry. However, fwiw saying I'd say something similar about people who rushed into buying VIX ETFs, triple-levered ETFs, 2007-era 'principal protected notes', recommendations in /r/WallStreetBets, or funds run by 'rock stars' repeatedly showing up on TV w/o doing any due diligence first.
  • Good ol' Nunes... you can always depend upon his knife in your back.
  • @mnzdedwards said:

Blind rubes? Why the venom? Can’t we keep things civilized with those we disagree with without having to resort to name calling?

You have got to be kidding me. Is your statement and question for real?
  • msf said:

Apparently, most but not all of the initial shares are still locked up. On Aug 22, a few execs sold between 3,467 and 84,941 shares @$22.70. Not enough to move the market, but the rats may be lining up to jump ship.

Here's the EDGAR search result for insider trading

Devin Nunes, CEO, 27,846
    Juhan Phillip, CFO, 84,941
    Glabe Scott, General Counsel, 4,083
    Northwall Andrew, COO, 3,467
    Novachki Vladimir, CTO, 7,801

Another view.

https://hedgefollow.com/stocks/DJT/insider-trading

• Yes, Mark, my question is for real. Why is it so difficult to disagree with someone without putting him or her down? It's a legitimate question.
  • "Trump says he's 'entitled' to make personal attacks on Harris, citing lack of respect"

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-hold-press-conference-campaign-criticizes-harris-limited/story?id=112837924

Gosh, @mnzdedwards its a wonder, isn't it? Lack of good role models and poor leadership may factor in here.
  • Yes, JD_c, you are correct. Trump is not a good role model. I’m simply asking that we treat those we disagree with dignity and respect whether they deserve it or not. That’s all I’m trying to say.
  • From that JD_co link:

At a news conference Thursday afternoon former President Donald Trump said he's "entitled" to insult Vice President Kamala Harris because he doesn't respect her.

"I think I am entitled to personal attacks. I do not have a lot of respect for her. I don't have a lot of respect for her intelligence, and I think she'll be a terrible president."

But of course the other side should never respond in kind, right?
  • Old_Joe:

Lex talionis, then?
  • Not necessarily. But why the surprise when other people emulate someone who would have us believe that he is a national leader? Who exactly is setting the tone here?
  • Yes, JD_c, you are correct. Trump is not a good role model. I’m simply asking that we treat those we disagree with dignity and respect whether they deserve it or not. That’s all I’m trying to say.

That I can agree with however turning the other cheek to one who has been totally disrespectful to many is getting very, very tiresome and I could never get the total hang of it..

• Well said Mark. Thank you.
  • JD_co: Who exactly is setting the tone? You and I are. We choose to set the tone.

One of the hardest lessons that I am learning is that no one forces or causes me to be angry. I choose how I respond to another person’s actions. I choose to be angry or not angry, whether it’s justifiable or not. It’s the same with setting the tone.
  • Its a very high horse that you sit upon.

• edited August 29
    ...and his horse to do with as he wishes. There are lots of folks online whose britches are oversized. Not my problem unless I elect to make it one.
  • " turning the other cheek to one who has been totally disrespectful to many is getting very, very tiresome"

@Mark- and, we don't have a whole lot of cheeks to keep turning either.
  • No racqueteer, my britches are the same size as yours. I simply try to treat people with dignity and respect regardless of their ideologies.
  • edited August 30
    Actually, it wasn't intended as a reference to you at all, @mnzdedwards. I can see how it might be construed that way, but not intended.
  • Thank you racqueteer. Great handle by the way. I used to enjoy playing racquetball in my younger and much more mobile years. My wife and I are considering pickle ball now that we are empty nesters.
  • According to filings, the lock-up period is scheduled to expire for Trump on September 25, but it could come even earlier.
    The lock-up would lift if Trump Media’s share price equals or exceeds $12 for any 20 trading days within a 30-trading day period starting on August 22. As long as the stock doesn’t keep plunging, this would translate to the restrictions lifting as soon as September 20.
  • BaluBalu said
    "I have not been following this thread well. So, pardon my enquiry. Why are you guys following the price ticks of this thing? Is there are catalyst, such as vesting, dilution, etc., tied to a price level? "

many reasons those fascinated with the financial sector are following djt.
    the history of scams in financial markets is endless, but never has such a influential and powerful politician continuously checked every box known to be a marker or EVIDENCE of a market scam.
    in summary, this is very different from any other meme event in history, and a substantial number of retail investors are still HOLDING and BUYING djt.

am not going to recap the whole redflag history here of the controlling shareholder and the step-by-mistep evolution of djt.
    the complexity of the the lockup and lawsuits pose an amazing real life case of game theory, for those more interested in just the mathematics.

i would end with the notion that out of those who had invested among the entire history of financial scams, one will find the label 'rube' quite apt. newsflash, many on the internet use much worse terminology daily, including the djt namesake.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/10/politics/pence-book-excerpt-trump-power/index.html
  • Yeah, that pretty well sums up the whole thing.
  • Thanks Guys.

I would like to know if anyone in this forum is investing (not trading) in DJT. I do not care what they do with their wealth but good to know members' specific investing proclivity so I know how to read their advice in the forum.

I was hoping someone in this thread is tracking the price of DJT with probabilities in the betting markets about the pending election outcome.

Now that I know the purpose of this thread, I shall leave it to you guys.

• by 'investing', i assume you mean understanding the viability of the business model, unique technology, management competence, and mkt position. djt lacks all, so really nothing interesting there.
    its the other public company dynamics that make it interesting...is there any legal\quasi-legal path for insiders to execute one of the most blatant public scams ever on such a large number of willing followers.

correlation of djt causes a lot of confusion.
    the odds market is the cleanest binary way to ensure one's wealth benefits from a trump win. (if your bet is right either way). its a sampling with real money (~US $1B) on the line, but there is no unambiguous proof this is sufficient AND outperforms the best polls. (some of which also have been bad if you consider they ~ raise the margin of error inversely to the gap)

voting for trump, or buying shares in djt, is NOT a path where prior odds can be estimated for wealth if trump wins the election. but shorting djt has multiple (subjectively) strong paths not contingent on an election win or loss.
  • Do any reputable mutual funds own this buzzard?