Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Buy Sell Why: ad infinitum.

1454647484951»

Comments

• BHB still falling today. Bought a few more. 5.63% of total portfolio today.
  • Hi guys,

Have sold IEO again. Will wait to buy later. Also opened a new position in my taxable account: FPXTX. Hoping to pay less tax. Also in Mrs. Pudd's IRA added to PP&L. So will see how it goes.

God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited October 15
    Figured I would bump this thread up so members will remember to trade!

Under the title, "Is the Two-Year-Old Bull Market 2 Legit 2 Quit?" Schwab provided an analysis of the current bull market from a historical perspective. I thought it was a good read, especially if you are numbers nerd.

https://www.schwab.com/learn/story/is-two-year-old-bull-market-2-legit-2-quit
  • BaluBalu said:

Under the title, "Is the Two-Year-Old Bull Market 2 Legit 2 Quit?" Schwab provided an analysis of the current bull market from a historical perspective. I thought it was a good read, especially if you are numbers nerd.

Good idea, and thanks.
  • BaluBalu said:

I"m still preparing my portfolio for rate cuts. :)
  • edited October 15
    I’m “dead in the water”

45% equity
    30% cash
    15% bonds
    10% other

Anybody have any shorts on?
  • @ hank. I'm wearing big-boy pants today.
  • WABAC said:

@ hank. I'm wearing big-boy pants today.

Yep. Thanks @WABC / There was someone here a month or so back who intended to do some stock or index shorting. Admire that kind of bravery.

• hank said:

WABAC said:

@ hank. I'm wearing big-boy pants today.

Yep. Thanks @WABC / There was someone here a month or so back who intended to do some stock or index shorting. Admire that kind of bravery.

That was me. And I got my face ripped off as a result, but the total outlay was only $250 which helps offset my end-of-year gains elsewhere.

• Been shopping in the T-IRA Bond Store with RSIIX, OSTIX, RCTIX, FPNIX, DODIX, BIMIX. High yield, Multi-sector, short and intermediate term funds. Money coming from sale of VG Ultra short term bond whose yield dropped well below VG Mmkt, and maturing treasuries. Oh, also left some in MMkt.
  • edited October 15
    LOL - Love it @rforno! And thanks for responding.

I’m the one who liked NSRGY between $100 and $107 - but want nothing to do with it now at $97.
  • I really do appreciate those of us here who are able to admit that we sometimes try things which turn out to be not such great ideas. Pretty real, compared to those few who have never made a mistake or done a bad deal.
  • edited October 15
    Trust me. Many of us that do not post our trades continue to have some horror stories of our own. E.g., I would never be hired to manage others' money.

I do not know anyone in our forum that has said (since I joined) that they have never made a mistake. What I remember is, some posters generally post how they have learned to minimize their mistakes to a point where the current mistakes (or a feature of their investing system and not a bug) are inconsequential. I believe them and it is aspirational for me. I know about this type of discipline also from others that do not post in this forum or any forum. I am not suggesting forum members to follow the methods suggested to minimize mistakes / losses - I am only saying that I believe such posts.
  • Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I totally agree with @Old_Joe.
  • My own "dawgs" included ENIC and PSTL, but surely are not limited to those two. I'm sworn off REITS and RE funds. All we can do is to do our due diligence and research and then make a choice to pull the trigger, or NOT. (James Bond, to "Q:" "It's hard to know which, in your pyjamas.") I want to be diversified without being di-worse-i-fied.

TODAY: I took a BCE (Bell Canada) dividend and put the money to work, buying (tomorrow) shares in WCPNX (Weitz Core-Plus bonds) in the taxable account, to grow a dividend stream that can be tapped, without tapping the Trad. IRA. I'll take my usual chunk from the IRA in early January. And I've stopped letting Uncle Chuck reinvest single-stock dividends for me: they do it at their own convenience; they can't be trusted to reinvest with the customer's advantage in mind. If I use such dividends to buy single-stock shares, I'll use Limit Orders. If selling, I've learned from one of you about Stop-Loss Orders. Many thanks. I'm not growing the BCE position because I don't love to pay 15% taxes to Revenue Canada. It's still a negligible amount, and the dividend is outsized. On that basis, I don't mind. If the dividend shrinks, I'll rethink my position.
  • edited October 15
    Old_Joe said:

I really do appreciate those of us here who are able to admit that we sometimes try things which turn out to be not such great ideas. Pretty real, compared to those few who have never made a mistake or done a bad deal.

2024 is a shameful year for me. I can not point to one thing I tried in 2024 that turned out to be better than keeping money in money market if not outright loss. If I add up all losses from 2024 experiments, I would not be surprised if the loss exceeds the amount of my first year salary. My mistakes are hardly ever on purchases. They all are on the timing of the exits - overstaying my welcome in a trade / purchase.
  • Old_Joe said:

I really do appreciate those of us here who are able to admit that we sometimes try things which turn out to be not such great ideas.

Where do we get the t-shirts?
  • I just want to accept full responsibility for this thread running out of control.
  • Hey, I helped!
  • All well placed and well said, everyone. No worries.
  • edited October 17
    Re-entered GONIX. I still like CPIEX but am diversifying amongst the LS funds. Exited QMNIX.
  • last week I bought a few thousand SMR and OKLO to increase my nuclear energy investments.

WOW up 75%!!! Unfortunately the "few thousand " was dollars, not shares
  • Good call @sma3. Was looking at OKLO myself but didn't pull the trigger.

Instead I sold equal $$ amt's of BIAWX & POAGX and took a stake in NRDCX. First outright bond fund I've ever owned outside of CEF's We'll see I guess.
  • edited October 17
    sma3 said:

last week I bought a few thousand SMR and OKLO to increase my nuclear energy investments.

WOW up 75%!!! Unfortunately the "few thousand " was dollars, not shares

SMRs will allow decentralized infrastructure, increasing national security, lower Grid costs, etc. lots of benefits and practical.

If SMR (Small modular reactors) take off, then what is the future for all the EV car companies, which is really a play on innovations in battery technology. E.g., Tesla, BYD, etc.?

I am waiting Berkshire Energy to get into SMRs.

Disclosure: I own NLR.
  • edited October 17
    ("Mutants For Nukes!")
  • I also own NLR CCJ and GRID. I am a bit suspicious of SMR as their first project sorta died. It seems obvious if this country has run small nuclear reactors on submarines and large surface ships, we can design and rum small reactors for Data farms etc

I think infrastructure and Grid enhancements the "picks and shovels" of Climate change and AI are better bets than stocks selling for 34 times Sales, ie NVDA
  • Berkshire sold its BYD stake down to 5% from more than 20%, after holding it since 2008 (bought initially for approx $1 a share). That made me think may be battery technology does not have as much a future as is needed for non-nuclear renewable energy or may be he sold because he thought as a Chinese company, it could face headwinds in the global markets. OR both reasons. Obviously, I do not take his official reasoning on its face value. He bought and sold TSM quickly on questionable US-China relations, which I understood.
  • I don't know about nukes, but green-hydrogen fuel cells are going to replace batteries sooner than we think.
  • edited October 17
    WABAC said:

I don't know about nukes, but green-hydrogen fuel cells are going to replace batteries sooner than we think.

At a campaign pit stop, DJT gave his pronouncement against hydrogen. As is customary for him, he took the crowd along with him in mocking hydrogen fuel cell powered cars as bombs on wheels. So, you got a big hurdle for hydrogen technology in the US. May be Musk is in DJT ears on this but it is a no go.