Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Buy Sell Why: ad infinitum.

Comments

• OMG, I gotta find that restaurant.
  • edited August 14
    Crash said:

OMG, I gotta find that restaurant.

No. Invest in it.

Added: GHC (Former Washington Post Co.) is a conglomerate of mostly small caps. Among its very diverse holdings are some upscale restaurants in the Metro DC area. I wouldn’t be surprised if they own the one @rforno feasts at.

I’ve toyed with GHC a bit in the past. Never could figure out what makes it move. Bounced hard along with small caps 6-7 weeks ago. Skimmed a bit of profit before bailing out.
  • +1. Smart cookie, @hank. Thanks for the message. I note your new position in RIO. I've been eyeing it. But I'm trying to KISS it. Keep things not so spread out "from hell to breakfast." Gotta unload something else before I go there.

• 500s starter position in EXC fired just at the close. Sold some SGOV in the postmarket to cover the purchase.
  • Crash said:

Here ya go...

https://www.bourbonsteakdc.com/menus/

We now return to the regularly-scheduled B/S/W postings. :)
  • Bought LCORX today because it came up in MFO conversation, Schwab lets me buy only $100 initially and because it's been on my watchlist forever. It will sit right next to PRPFX, and I can see which fund "wins". LOTS of excitement.

Good times.
  • rforno said:

Crash said:

Here ya go...

https://www.bourbonsteakdc.com/menus/

We now return to the regularly-scheduled B/S/W postings. :)
    Many thanks!
  • Hi guys,

Some old news:
    Yes, I was a dip buyer.....went from 17% cash to 9%.
    The largest add was to FXAIX. Seem to always buy that when I'm not sure what to buy.....a default position, I suppose. Also opened a small position in FSELX. It's a trade position. I do not intend to keep it long. Added to HACK. It's a keeper. Will add more on weakness. Added to IEO. Again, a trade---not a keeper. Also added PGTAX. I still believe in tech long term.

Hoping for another pull back in September or October to add again.

I do believe all is well.......sunshine and blue skies! https://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/plugins/Emoticons/images/smile.gif

God bless
    the Pudd
  • @rfono

What is a "Tomahawk"

My favs

https://www.keens.com/ NYC

https://www.grill23.com/ The Hub of t Universe
  • edited August 15
    “Bought LCORX today because it came up in MFO conversation …”

That’s as good a reason as any. I can’t see making these decisions overly complicated.:)
  • edited August 15
    hank said:

“Bought LCORX today because it came up in MFO conversation …”

That’s as good a reason as any. I can’t see making these decisions overly complicated.:)

Yes, I take all my investment direction from various message board postings at MFO. Works like a charm.

• edited August 15
    to own.
    JD_co said:

“Yes, I take all my investment direction from various message board postings at MFO. Works like a charm.”

What would be fun would be if MFO published its own “recommended portfolio(s)” around January 1 every year. Toss out several different models: Ultra conservative, conservative, moderate, aggressive growth, “super-duper” etc. Then we’d all know what to own.

PS I bought LCORX a couple months after reading David’s excellent summation in last November’s observer. Hadn’t heard of it before then.
  • sma3 said:

@rfono

What is a "Tomahawk"

My favs

https://www.keens.com/ NYC

https://www.grill23.com/ The Hub of t Universe

When in New York

https://peterluger.com/photo-gallery
  • Sold half of my VONG and made a few thou, enough for car repair
  • edited August 21
    Bought a small slug of FLO - a small cap baked foods distributor. Have followed it for years. Has gone nowhere. Please don’t ask me why I bought it (but they do make delicious bread). Also - opened very small positions in PSQ (1 X inverse QQQ) and SDS (2 X inverse S&P). Together worth about the cost of a first class R/T ticket to LGA. Will trickle more in if the hoot continues.
  • edited August 20
    Selling TS oil drilling pipe-maker. Tired of red ink. Stop the bleeding. Dog. Loser. Proceeds go to WCPNX. Had my eye on it for quite a while. That will be added to.

EDIT TO ADD: Sold FALN at tiny profit. Adding it into WCPNX
  • Cut my general commodity exposure in half, but kept the energy stocks for the dividends and Gold.

I would like to add to utilities but I fear horse has left

Trying to pick a good Dividend fund. I have used a lot in the past but not settled on one or two
  • I would like to add to utilities but I fear horse has left

Trying to pick a good Dividend fund. I have used a lot in the past but not settled on one or two

CEF: BXSL. 10.24% Yield. Blackstone Secured.
    PRFDX 1.86% TRP Equity Income.
    HDV Blackrock. 3.71% LV

• Purchased 6 month T-bill Monday 4.9+ %
  • Put my son in TRULX. His first-ever investment. T-IRA. Age 31 in Oct this year.
  • @Crash I'm wondering how many retirement accounts are opened as T-IRA these days, versus a Roth IRA.
    Just thinking out loud and late into the night.
  • edited August 21
    Well, we also started investing in our early 30's. If he's persistent he should be fine in 30 or 40 years. As John Templeton said: "The power of compounding..."
  • catch22 said:

@Crash I'm wondering how many retirement accounts are opened as T-IRA these days, versus a Roth IRA.
    Just thinking out loud and late into the night.

Yes, I explained to him the difference between T and Roth. He wants the tax break.:) His career as a musician means banging drums, teaching others to bang drums, performing on drums at church, and performing as a member of a band. On drums, of course. Cobbling together a hardscrabble living, but he likes it. So, he wants the tax break.
  • @Crash, good on your son...living his life on his terms...we all could learn something from that!
  • @Crash, good on your son...living his life on his terms...we all could learn something from that!

Thank you! And he and I do share a love for The Blues.
  • In the IRA: Added to positions in THOPX, WSHNX, and MNHAX. Sold positions in VRIG, VNLA, and GSY. Bought new positions in USTB and TBUX. I'll consolidate the short-term funds as things become clearer to me over the coming months. I am considering LMBS to go with stake in XONE.

Currently sitting at 56% equity split 44% domestic and 12% foreign. I'll leave it at that until I can unload some marginal funds, like USAGX. I missed the early August blowup. I don't feel the need to add to equities just to achieve 60/40.

In the taxable: Nothing shaking but the leaves on the trees.
  • edited August 21
    sold several positions of JQUA at ML, tired of not being to able to auto-reinvest there

on next significant dip will buy TCAF in lieu

ditto selling rest of recent VONG dip buy at Fido
  • edited August 22
    Raised my shorts a little higher yesterday and again today before markets turned south (SDS / PSQ).
    Looking at this as a longer term hedge. Very small amount - well below 1% of portfolio.
  • I sold out of GQGIX after a 20% run up since a 4Q23 purchase. It feels a bit rich, and certainly has gotten quite big for an EM fund at ~$23B AUM. An 11% allocation to NVDA/AVGO certainly provided a boost over the past 2 years, but could also serve as a boat anchor if/when NVDA orders start to slow.