Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Buy Sell Why: ad infinitum.

1464748495052»

Comments

• edited October 18
    The Astron Aerospace H2 Starfire hydrogen internal combustion engine (ICE) is rather interesting.
    Corresponding infrastructure/support would be needed for hydrogen ICEs to become viable.
    https://www.topspeed.com/h2-starfire-engine-promising-disruptor-ev-industry/
  • BaluBalu said:

WABAC said:

I don't know about nukes, but green-hydrogen fuel cells are going to replace batteries sooner than we think.

At a campaign pit stop, DJT gave his pronouncement against hydrogen. As is customary for him, he took the crowd along with him in mocking hydrogen fuel cell powered cars as bombs on wheels. So, you got a big hurdle for hydrogen technology in the US. May be Musk is in DJT ears on this but it is a no go.
    I don't think Trump reads the business section. I keep reading that we're on the verge of an oil glut and he wants the oil companies to keep drilling while they are putting money into not-so-green hydrogen or converting refineries to producing bio-diesel.

Trump didn't like electric vehicles either. I think Musk will be able to take care of that little problem with cash. At one time Musk thought fuel cells were stupid. Times have changed.

When it comes to our love affair with vehicles, hydrogen will be the easier switch in the long run because it more nearly matches our experience of filling up the tank, and going. Who wants to wait around for a vehicle to charge up? The trucking industry won't, for one.

BTW. I am not encouraging anyone to invest in any of this stuff. There's many a slip between cup and lip.
  • I sometimes wonder how many maga's own Tesla's or connect via star-link or consume anything Musk related. Musk seems to be all about the $$$ and influence. What happens when he falls out of 45's orbit?
  • @WABAC ". I keep reading that we're on the verge of an oil glut" Any news on the refilling of national oil storage ? Seems it was down to 15-20 % not to long ago.
  • @Derf. Dinky linky.

The reserve is being refilled. And the US is now a net exporter of oil, and the largest producer of oil in the world.
  • edited October 18
    Looking at a single issue, or from a single POV, things look differently. Sure, we can produce tons of oil; more than we do now. You always have the option of producing more if you set your mind to that. The reality is that there is more than that one factor involved. Produce too much, and prices drop. If prices drop, some production becomes non-viable due to costs. Should companies start making 'windfall profits', the government will find some means of punishing the industry, At some point, it becomes contra-intuitive to produce more and more oil. How does it benefit the industry to drive prices down by overproducing?

Not to mention, I'm fairly certain that there simply isn't refinery capacity to handle much more production anyway! If it were all that simple, why didn't the Saudis just pump as much oil as they are capable of at all times? Hint: it's bad business practice, and one's creditors/investors would not be best pleased!
  • Things that look revolutionary can be very hard to invest in. Many people must have looked at the Wright Bros success and figured airplanes would be a great way to make money. I an sure people made money in Boeing, GE etc, but not in airlines unless you buy them at the right time. Same thing with car companies. How many were there in 1910?
  • @WABAC Thanks for the link, I enjoyed the read.
    @sma3 I'll contribute this tid bit of info. In 1908 there were 253 active auto manufacturers in the USA.

• edited 1:36PM
    Bumping up again.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/billionaire-investor-david-einhorn-says-232814929.html

Posted the link not for discussion but because I am taking up a post.
  • ...taking up a post.

Sorry, I'm missing the meaning, there.