Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

DJT in your portfolio - the first two funds reporting (edited)

Comments

• edited July 3
    Apparently they bought a tech platform in scrip --er, an all-stock deal today. If I was part of the acquisiton, I'd be selling my shares ASAP....

https://www.morningstar.com/news/marketwatch/20240703191/trump-media-to-buy-assets-of-worldconnect-technologies-in-all-stock-deal
  • DJT up 53% in pre-market trade.
  • chang said:

DJT up 53% in pre-market trade.

Meme stocks will do that....

• VIX was supposed to follow global events 24/7, but instead, cryptos are almost doing that now.
    https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=COIN&compare=DJT,$BTCUSD&id=p13316794986
  • VIX was supposed to follow global events 24/7, but instead, cryptos are almost doing that now.
    https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=COIN&compare=DJT,$BTCUSD&id=p13316794986

Agreed. Frankly I've given up watching the VIX b/c I'm not sure how useful it is these days given the rise of one-day-options that can be used to hedge risks very tactically instead of a 30-day timeline, the number of options-layered funds, etc, etc. I sure wouldn't trade volatility products, that's for sure!
  • Matt Levine, Money Stuff: The Good Trades Have Gone Bad

"DJT
    There are basically two kinds of public companies in the US, which you can distinguish from each other by looking at their lists of top shareholders. Big institutional investors, and some individuals, have to report their stock holdings, and those reports get aggregated, by Bloomberg among others. So when I look at Bloomberg’s ownership page for JPMorgan Chase & Co., for instance, I see shareholders that include BlackRock and Vanguard and State Street, the “Big Three” index investors, but also big actively managed institutions like Capital Group and Fidelity and T. Rowe Price. Also, though, when I look at the top of the page, I see that about 77% of the shares are accounted for: Institutions and individuals who report their share ownership own 77% of JPMorgan.

And then when I look at AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc., a big meme stock, I see that only about 27% of the shares are accounted for: A large majority of AMC’s holders are retail investors who do not have to disclose their ownership, so public ownership data is much sparser. At AMC too, the top holders include the Big Three index investors. But the rest of the top institutions are mostly not long-term asset managers like Fidelity or T. Rowe, but fast-money hedge funds like Renaissance Technologies and DE Shaw & Co., or proprietary trading firms like Jane Street Group and Susquehanna International Group. Most of those firms don’t own that stock as a long-term investment: They own that stock because they are essentially taking the other side of very active retail traders, in the stock or in options. (Quite possibly they own the stock to hedge options they have sold to retail traders.). Also they don’t own that much of it; that’s a market-making position, not an investment.

Last week, New York magazine had a very fun profile of Trump Media & Technology Group, Donald Trump’s small business that is also a large meme stock. (“‘It’s a company that essentially has the revenue of not even a medium-size McDonald’s franchise,’ says John Rekenthaler, a researcher at Morningstar,” but its market capitalization today is more than $5 billion.) There is a lot about its fairly hapless founding by former Apprentice contestants, its struggles to go public by merging with a special purpose acquisition company, etc.:

The upshot was that even with the SPAC maneuver and its $300 million in limbo, there would be enough capital to build a social network. And the executives had decided on a name. At a meeting at Trump’s golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey, Moss and Litinsky pitched him on Virt, short for virtuous. Trump suggested Truth instead. They looked up the domain TruthSocial.com, saw that it was available for a little more than $2,000, and bought it. When they ran the name by Melania, she burst out laughing. “Truth?!” she said, pointing at her husband. “This guy?”

And the story makes the reasonable point that, if Donald Trump becomes president again and you want to bribe him, Trump Media gives you some good ways to do so: A really ambitious bidder could try to acquire the company and cash out Trump’s multi-billion dollar stake, but even short of that you could buy stock to show your support, buy advertising on Truth Social, etc. If you’re an institution, your stock ownership would be public, so Trump could see it and be grateful.

This, though, is probably not that:

In March, Trump announced a surprising policy reversal. As president, he’d tried to ban TikTok, which is owned by a Chinese company; now, abruptly, he was for the social network’s continued operation. The about-face followed a meeting Trump took with Jeff Yass, a major Republican donor who owns a significant stake in TikTok’s parent. When reporters dug up the fact that his trading firm, Susquehanna International Group, had until recently been the single-largest institutional shareholder in Digital World, there was outrage: Here was a seemingly perfect example of a billionaire using Trump’s company to influence him. Susquehanna has since insisted that its 2 percent stake was offset by equivalent short positions and that it had “zero economic interest in Trump Media.” Even if that were true, taking multibillion-dollar investment firms at their word is hardly a model for good government.

I have no inside information here, but I will take Susquehanna at their word? Susquehanna is fundamentally a market maker: If it’s long 2% of Trump Media, that’s almost certainly because it’s also short 2% of Trump Media (or has sold options, etc.). Susquehanna being a big holder of Trump Media doesn’t actually mean that Susquehanna is a big investor in Trump Media. It means that Trump Media is a meme stock, and it doesn’t really have many big investors."
  • I have yet to figure out how to post images here. Some in my household use the term "dinosaur" to describe both me and our software. In any case ... if you go to Morningstar, pull up the chart for DJT and set the beginning date for the day that Biden stepped aside, you'll notice a pretty unrelenting fall. That, in support of the "meme stock" notes, above.
  • edited August 9
    Hi @David_Snowball

Take a peek at this from Google Finance for DJT. The link is set at one month (1M). BUT, select any other time frame, as needed. Place 'the cursor' on the graph line for a particular date and pricing. ALSO, related news is below the graph.

CHECK the 'income statement' below the news notes...YOW!!!

Others have posted a 'how to' for image adds here. Perhaps they'll post again.
  • "I have yet to figure out how to post images here." - @David_Snowball, Phew, I thought I was the only one who hadn't figured it out yet.
  • I have yet to figure out how to post images here. Some in my household use the term "dinosaur" to describe both me and our software. In any case ... if you go to Morningstar, pull up the chart for DJT and set the beginning date for the day that Biden stepped aside, you'll notice a pretty unrelenting fall. That, in support of the "meme stock" notes, above.

Umm, from one prof to another, did you check the syllabus? /ducks :)

Here's how, per YBB back in February:

copy (with right-click) the image-address (but not other URLs) & use the MFO Image-Tool (3rd from right) to post.

If an image doesn't have linkable address (e.g. screenshots or other pics on your PC), use free image-hosting sites such as Imgbb.com, etc, to establish image-link, and then follow the above steps.

• You lost me with that right-click business.
  • If an image doesn't have linkable address (e.g. screenshots or other pics on your PC), use free image-hosting sites such as Imgbb.com, etc, to establish image-link, and then follow the above steps.

Even it an image does have a linkable address, it may still not display properly. My experience shows that URLs ending in .jpg, .jpeg, etc. generally work, others may not.

For example, here's the URL for stockchart's version of the graph followed by a link to that image (i.e. linkable) followed by what is displayed when inserted by the MFO Image-Tool.

https://stockcharts.com/sc3/ui/?s=DJT&id=p48083277857
    Link

• edited August 9
    @Mark, on PC mouse, there is left-click (more common) that opens the link and right-click (less common) that open a menu.

@msf, true, image link must be .jpg (lower quality), .png (higher quality), etc.

So, if an image link doesn't end that way, then take a screenshot, upload to ImgBB, and use in MFO Image-tool.

• I know others are thinking it, but where do you find the MFO image tool?
  • @Roy, in the post menu bar, it's #3 from the right (says "Image"). #2 from right is for hyperlinking.
  • Roy
    edited August 9
    Ahhh, got it. Thanks! @yogi
  • chang said:

DJT up 53% in pre-market trade.

$22.24 down 40.50% over the past month.
  • FWIW, Fidelity shows DJT down a nickel ($22.19) at 9:29, pre-market, just before market open.
  • edited August 20
    Given it is just a paper company at this time, this really is just a bet on whether DJT wins the election. Let us see if the faithful have Diamond hands when the insider sales start.
  • $21.65, down another 2.5% at the moment...
  • I'm sure 'Truth'Social CEO Devin MOOOOOnes** will be out with another letter begging Congress to outlaw short sellers of his stock and/or suing anyone who closes their long DJT position before his boss can dump his shares next month.

** https://www.fresnobee.com/news/politics-government/article261975090.html
  • edited August 20
    Might be tracking his poll numbers …

Interesting price $21.65 / Paid $23 for a few shares of Flower Foods (FLO) this morning. Somewhat more appetizing.
  • $21.415 at the close... down 3.71%. Maybe his national polling is down 3.71% also... (one can hope).
  • edited August 20
    I thought there are websites that give you odds to wager. (I used to check a site for this information four years ago.) After the market close each day someone can post the change in closing price and change in odds to wager to see if there is any correlations.
  • Here's your big chance:

As reported by Barrons today:
    "Shares of Trump Media & Technology Group, parent of Truth Social and majority owned by Trump, are trading below $20 a share after falling on Wednesday and extending losses after hours. Trump’s stake is valued around $2.2 billion, though he can’t start selling shares until a restricted period ends in September."

Hard pass here.
  • edited August 29
    Threatening to fall under $20 today. Looks like Flowers Foods (my August 20 post) has held up much better. Easier to digest.:)

• fun race to $0 especially for those huge shareholders w/ $0 cost basis ...
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/columnists/2024/08/21/what-is-wrong-with-donald-trump/74855577007/
  • Apparently, most but not all of the initial shares are still locked up. On Aug 22, a few execs sold between 3,467 and 84,941 shares @$22.70. Not enough to move the market, but the rats may be lining up to jump ship.

Here's the EDGAR search result for insider trading

Devin Nunes, CEO, 27,846
    Juhan Phillip, CFO, 84,941
    Glabe Scott, General Counsel, 4,083
    Northwall Andrew, COO, 3,467
    Novachki Vladimir, CTO, 7,801