Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Buy Sell Why: ad infinitum.

Comments

• It's all about clown cars and arranging deck chairs. Plus lots of investor pessimism. My ETF limit orders are getting filled. Added some FSMEX. Good times! Cheers to even better times ahead.

Investors have become skittish. The stage seems set, but we've seen too many market headfakes. When was the last time you heard anybody mention "blood in the streets"? Maybe next year.
  • Bought 5 year note.
  • edited October 2023
    Derf said:

Bought 5 year note.

Good move. Have my eyes on the next 5y auction, after three holdings mature and there's plenty o' cash for other opportunities.
  • WABAC said:

Today seems like as good a day as any to dump all of the Vanguard index funds from my taxable. They include VUIAX, VSIAX, VMVAX, VHYAX, and VCSAX. I think I can do better in each of the categories they cover. It is mainly inertia that has kept me from dumping them before now.

I don't expect to reinvest the proceeds until after there is something like funding for the government going forward.

Put the proceeds into the money market today. I had a little extra cash, so I did a little DCA'ing (or maybe dumpster diving) into SYLD, SPGP, and PFF.

If I could paraphrase Joaquin Andujar in one word, it would be: "You never know."
  • Stepped in with an intial 6 figure starter position in CBLDX, bought heavy 2 year T note, buying heavy 1 year Tbill, added smaller amounts to PVCMX and ramping up buys of PHYS.

Have to say, I learned a great deal and enjoyed listening to David Sherman / CrossingBridge on the recent quarterly call. I like to invest with folks who are articulate, experienced in their industry, have focus and great command of their craft and have shown they can execute on their strategies and produce results better than I could on my own. Also with folks who seem to have balance in their lives and have a personality, I don't want eccentric, edgy, screwball types flying the plane I am on or investing my monies for me.

Best Regards,

Baseball Fan
  • People Get Ready

• Why, is the "Best yet to come"?
  • LOVE the song. Is D.S. implying that bonds will do better in the future when presumably, rates come down? (Jeff Beck is missed!)

• Sold the remaining funds in our VG short-term treasury fund into VMFXX settlement fund. Preparing to invest in individual bonds beyond 6-months as well as adding to VDADX and VTSAX.
  • Sticking my toe into longer duration water

MLN in taxable account
  • Added a bit to PSTL today. TS was headed upward today, so I punted and bought PSTL instead. And it was up by the end of the day.
  • Added to NAD, as munis appear to be perking up.
  • edited November 2023
    Selling a bit of an infrastructure fund heavy in utilities - rebuilding depleted cash. Utilities have been sucking air lately. Nice rebound in recent days on lower rates. VPU (as a gage) is up 2.17% 2.36% late in the day.
  • Added some 6-month t-bills in the trad-ira.
  • I like what I read and hear from David Sherman, ergo I turned over some MMF cash to two CrossingBridge funds. I hope the rumblings about bonds « being back » are prescient and I will earn more than what Chuck was paying me to park my cash.
  • On cash, Chuck chisels.
  • dip-buying of QQQ and VONG and a couple others is paying off
  • I'm always late to the party. I put in a limit order to buy a significant amount of CNQ, Canadian Natural Resources Limited, on Wednesday. It didn't take. Up 5% today. I bit the bullet and bought just a few shares towards the end of the day to satisfy my urge to own. I'll keep my initial limit order active in case it wants to adjust again.
  • MikeM said:

I'm always late to the party. I put in a limit order to buy a significant amount of CNQ, Canadian Natural Resources Limited, on Wednesday. It didn't take. Up 5% today. I bit the bullet and bought just a few shares towards the end of the day to satisfy my urge to own. I'll keep my initial limit order active in case it wants to adjust again.

Wow, CNQ up +1.31% more, after-hours.

M* X-Ray shows me to be 17.5% in energy. But a big bunch of that is in the fund PRNEX. My single-stock choices include a pipeline-midstream behemoth and a manufacturer of drilling pipes. So, E & P is all in the fund.

Today was one of those rare days that serves as a warning not to try to jump in and out of the market. If you missed today, it'll take a bit of time to make up the difference. And my dividend payers bring a smile, along the way, also.

Waiting for TS to fall before adding a bit more.
  • So how much ,% wise, did your portfolio rise today ? I haven't checked mine , but headed that way. Interested in what Mr. Market does Friday.
  • Derf said:

So how much ,% wise, did your portfolio rise today ? I haven't checked mine , but headed that way. Interested in what Mr. Market does Friday.

...Indeed. Snap-back? People (or COMPUTERS?!!!) taking short-term profits? And how much of Thursday's action was short-covering?

Ok, I'll gloat a bit. Surely, others did better. But my stuff was up +1.73% just today.
  • I made $5

(Bet on the Orlando Magic)
  • Less than a 1%.
  • Sold the I-Bonds I bought a couple of years ago, now that the combined yield is less than 4%. Although newly issued I-Bonds are yielding about 5.3%, I’m going to reinvest the money in my CD-Treasury ladder due to its greater flexibility.
  • Set up a new 5-year CD ladder in our taxable account, with an issue maturing in November each year — enough to cover our property taxes each year. The overall yield on the ladder is 5.3%. One less thing to worry about.
  • Tarwheel +1
  • luckily made a few thou on those recent dip-buys
  • @davidrmoran : Did you sell them already ? If so then you did make a few K otherwise just a paper gain for the time being. Here today gone tomorrow, as the old saying goes.
    Dipped twice two much, Derf
  • yes, sir, sold, made maybe 5k

trying to hit singles as I get older, have puhlenty of losses prior from not doing that, many of which I still hold

trading qqq and vong seems easy (he said), sometimes, when news and conditions and data are good and the market is unduly gloomy
  • +1 @davidrmoran "trying to hit singles as I get older, have puhlenty of losses prior from not doing that, many of which I still hold"Same with the loses here !!