Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Joe Manchin Cost Us

A NYT opinion essay by Dr. Leah C. Stokes. Re: climate change legislation.

Comments

• edited July 2022
    +1. I was just about to post Dr. Stokes's piece in Crash's SCOTUS-EPA thread. Manchin's doubletalk pretty much convinces me he's had a clear agenda all along ... run out the clock on an FY 22 reconcilation bill with anything about climate in it.
  • I agree with you @AndyJ, the man has been two-faced from the beginning and had no good intentions other than to stall and bargain in bad faith. He's learned that lesson well from his republican counterparts. How he looks at himself in the mirror much less than his grandchildren's eyes is beyond me.
  • Well stated. Think he get lots of contribution from oil and coal industries. This is no surprise when it comes to climate control.
  • edited July 2022
    @Mark: Gotta wonder if McConnell has promised him he can continue as Energy chair if the Senate flips and he crosses over to the dark side.
  • Here also is an opinion piece by E.J. Dionne Jr. at WaPO:

Presto! Manchin’s party of one makes the Democrats’ program disappear.
  • Manchin is such an extremely big P.O.S.
  • And he's ba-aa-aa-ack! Have to wonder how much new-ish election odds influenced his "change of heart," i.e., he thinks he needs to act more like a Democrat now. (538 gives D's a slight edge in the Senate, and a new Morning Consult poll has D's up 11 points in the generic House matchup, with a lot of undecideds. See WaPo's Jennifer Rubin column if you have access.)
  • I'm wondering if Manchin is Lucy with the football in Peanuts and Chuck Schumer is Charlie Brown.
  • Renewables etf's like TAN, ICLN, and AY have taken off like rockets. Somebody out there believes Joe Coal.
  • edited July 2022
    Hi @AndyJ
    We've had a position in TAN for several months.........just after the "Putin" decided to play war monger. The basis, at the time; being disruption in traditional energy sources. Should've bought a boat load. TAN, among the many choices in this sector has been relatively stable in price......meaning no 30% drops as with oh so many other areas for YTD.
    Whatever comes from the various pieces of the new legislation (presuming it gets to Biden's desk for signing) with have impact in numerous areas for alternative products.....batteries, etc. But, it many not be easy to know when to play. I expect this area to be TOO hot to handle, at times.
    BUT, we're watching the sector and expect some pull back from the runs in the past few days. NOTE: gonna have to find some time to check etf.com and similar for a bigger list of renewables....., although TAN and ICLN are great choices. HAVE you anything else you've looked at in this area.
    Remain curious,
    Catch
  • edited July 2022
    Hey @catch22, there are quite a few options, but I stick mainly with steady high-ish volume etf's, secondarily a more equal mix of u.s.-foreign than many of them, third priority a little less volatility than average. ICLN works pretty well in those departments and is the one I just about always have at least a small stake in.

Lately I've also had TAN and AY (barely meets the volume criterion), which came in handy the past week. I'll prob'ly reduce those two early this next week.

Other options I've either owned or watched: FAN, DRIV, TSLA, RNRG, and BEP, none of which suit my fancy these days.

How about you?

Cheers, AJ
  • @catch22 - PBW is an option but for my money TAN is the way to go.

Given Manchin's history I'm not betting on this deal being done until the ink is dry on the bill. The dude changes his mind with the wind direction.
  • @Mark: The maverick senator from AZ has not said she’d vote for the bill as it’s been presented to the public. The drafters sneaked in another jab at the carried interest loophole without telling her. It’s reported she receives backing from those who make so much they need a tax advantage. (Last sentence is ironic.)
  • @BenWP: I hope they've got something on the maverick. She's a pharma bribe recipient, isn't she? Can't imagine she'd go for M'care negotiating down drug prices, given that the pharma industry is running ads against that provision.
  • Good grief. Some of these people have absolutely no conscience or sense of responsibility to the community at all. Sharks.
  • Old_Joe said:

Good grief. Some of these people have absolutely no conscience or sense of responsibility to the community at all. Sharks.

But you've been aware of that fact for DECADES by now, eh?

• Ya, Sinema. Disgrace.
  • Just heard Manchin interviewed on CBS Face the Nation. He claimed the Medicare/drug price negotiation provision was Sinema's idea.
  • Hopefully, Sinema won't scupper this deal in the next week !
  • You just knew it was too good to be true.
  • Yeah, not great, but in the big picture, not that big a deal. There will be uses for natural gas for quite a while, including use as feedstock for various chemical purposes. It's called "compromise".
  • @OJ - I suppose that's one way of looking at it. I see it as Manchin and the backers of the pipeline lining the pockets of their pants while all the people and the environment affected by the pipeline take it in the shorts.
  • @Mark- Yeah, lots of times "compromise" ain't pretty. But "half a loaf" and all that...
  • edited August 2022
    Hoo boy. I didn't realize D's also agreed to new offshore O&G leasing in the Gulf o' Mex and Alaska. From the WaPo article:

Democrats agreed to mandate new oil and gas leasing in the Gulf of Mexico and off the coast of Alaska, while party leaders committed to pursue a separate bill in the coming months that makes it easier for developers to override some environmental objections. That proposal could greatly benefit a long-stalled pipeline in Manchin’s home state, a trade-off that some Democrats described as an uncomfortable necessity.
  • edited August 2022
    Sausage is made.

Manchin takes a lot of heat. But have you ever spent time in W. Virginia? I have. It’s a miracle anyone labeled D could ever get elected there. Rascals like Graham (SC) are far more likely to win. As a friend sometimes reminds me, it ain’t always the cream that rises to the surface.:(
  • edited August 2022
    @Hank: Ha, your last sentence reminds me of a ditty the 10th grade English teacher repeated over and over about "the river of literature": "The scum rises to the top (in the short term, or words to that effect), but by the time it reaches the ocean, it is pure."

I think the heat on Manchin was largely about his playing hard to get for so many months, agreeing, then disagreeing as the D's pared down the package and sweetened the deal for him personally.