Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Joe Manchin Cost Us

2»

Comments

• Thanks for the info, Lewis.
  • Yes, much appreciated Lewis. And this precisely: (text bolding is mine)

"Perhaps it’s time to dub Republicans the Do Nothing Party. Just as the Know Nothing Party that arose prior to the Civil War was anti-immigrant, so today’s GOP is anti–climate survival. Meanwhile, the fast-approaching midterm elections could test how long Republicans can sustain this stance. During the 90-odd days between now and Election Day, GOP candidates should be asked over and over—by reporters covering their campaigns, by Democrats running against them, by activists turning out the vote, by constituents deciding whether to vote for them—why anyone who wants to preserve a livable climate (which happens to be the majority of Americans) would want a Republican Congress in charge when the planet is on fire.

The GOP position is that we can’t afford to put out the fire; we have to let it burn. It’s past time for Republicans to own that position. They can persist with it—although it’d be immeasurably better for humanity, not to mention their own children, if they didn’t—or they can change it. But no more hiding behind a free pass. Make it clear one way or the other, and let voters decide accordingly."
  • @Mark- Absolutely. I just don't understand why there isn't a howling chorus asking those very questions. It's almost as if the Democrats are afraid to meet the bastards head-on.
  • Yes @OJ, I've failed to understand that. I also don't understand why the press and Dems don't pound on them for solid, concrete evidence of a stolen election or job growth, or raising taxes on business companies that pay none and on and on and on. I can't wait to hear how the Do Nothing Party tries to spin the Inflation Reduction Act as their doing. Should be 'wild' right?
  • edited August 2022
    "Perhaps it’s time to dub Republicans the Do Nothing Party”

Party or insurgency?

From Merriam-Webster: Definition of insurgency - “the quality or state of being insurgent, specifically: a condition of revolt against a government that is less than an organized revolution and that is not recognized as belligerency”
  • @hank: true, true, true. in spades.