Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Gentle reminder ...

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Many folks from far left or far right are loosing it pretty bad, probably need to see Therapist. hope civil war does not occur. probably best to shoot some guns in the back yard, drink some wine or walk the dog/exercise
  • @JohnN,@Crash. Gentlemen,,,, with all due respect, lumping the far left and far right in the same breath with regards to losing our democracy is a total crock. THERE IS NO EQUIVALENCY! If you believe that,,,, well I guess you have your eyes wide shut.
  • edited July 2018
    No, I do not make such a False equivalency. Most recently on this thread, I have been agreeing with rono:
    "Stuff it. My country is under siege by a treasonous SOB that stole the election via Russian meddling. Jr. gave the Russians, the GOP voter data base so they could target the idiots that believe. Trump is a traitor and EVERYONE that supports him is also a traitor. All of you can eat shit and die."

No one on the "far Left" is supporting the orange-haired Clown. And I would note, too: there truly is no "Left" to speak of in the USA. Those customarily "accused" of being on the Left are, in fact, CENTRISTS. This is an indication of how far to the Right the general public's perception has been detoured. With tongue-in-cheek, I offer congrats with this in mind to the "Christian" Right, the "Moral" Majority, the NRA, John Birch Society, the Koch Brothers, ALEC and the rest. They've hijacked what used to be a functioning democracy led by reasonable people who could think and compromise and put country ahead of party.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Legislative_Exchange_Council
  • @Crash. I am happy to be corrected.
  • circa33
    Crash your temper is harmful to your health. you called me a troll
    some time ago and by definition maybe I am. I do not agree with
    president Trump but do not hate Him or those who support Him.
    I served in the army in the early to mid 50s non combat so am not all bad.
    thanks Rono for your service. No hearing in one ear but I still got in.
    regards circa33 now am maggie33
  • Sorry, I don't follow your non-sequitur.
  • Crash,
    your post #556 lead me to think wrongly that the whole post was yours.
    and I thought the anger was yours. Sorry from me to you.I do not support the
    president most of the time but the anger there was bad and harmful
    but rono must have His own reason for it.
    regards
    circa33 or MAGGIE33
  • Thanks Charles
  • edited July 2018
    Thanks, @circa33. But, yes--- I'm angry, too. This country is overdue for a massive, angry wave. Truthfully, one of the things that bothers me the most (and not just right now, facing what we are facing) is the way so many are determined to be NICE and KIND, when injustice and corruption cry out, demanding that good people everywhere rise up to confront it. ( Jeremiah 6:14: "They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. 'Peace, peace,' they say, when there is no peace.")

.....And if avoiding 4-letter words is more important than addressing serious ethical issues, then priorities are upside-down.
  • Crash,
    too much all is well and a lot of frustration on my part. politicians trying to get re-elected. too much gaming the system Our grand kids will get one hell of a mess from us.
    your posts make a lot of sense. off my ranting now.I wish I had a reasonable solution. I will still vote and hope I do it wisely.
    Best to you!
    MAGGIE33 or circa33

I also caused the name problem

• @Crash,

We just had a nonmassive, but large enough, angry wave, largely racially driven.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/opinion/voting-welfare-racism-republicans.html

Now what?
  • edited July 2018
    circa33 said:

Crash,
    too much all is well and a lot of frustration on my part. politicians trying to get re-elected. too much gaming the system Our grand kids will get one hell of a mess from us.
    your posts make a lot of sense. off my ranting now.I wish I had a reasonable solution. I will still vote and hope I do it wisely.
    Best to you!
    MAGGIE33 or circa33

I also caused the name problem

Not to worry, and we'll all just take it easy, the rest of the night. Thanks for your words.

• @Davidmoran. As long as the Republican cohort HATE AND FEAR PEOPLE OF COLOR more than they care about their own interests our nation's troubles will just get worse. I know a trump voter,,, he told me he voted for him " because he was sick of white people getting pushed around." He wasn't even embarrassed.
  • @Crash,

We just had a nonmassive, but large enough, angry wave, largely racially driven.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/opinion/voting-welfare-racism-republicans.html

Now what?

Yup: "This belief that the federal government is more willing to help blacks and Latinos than whites fuels the white threat and resentment that boosted support for Donald Trump in 2016."

"Americans believe that the poor are lazy; Europeans believe the poor are unfortunate,” report Alesina and Glaeser. (Time to buy my ticket and move to the EU? I could do it tomorrow. I'm an EU citizen!)
    And: in lovely, Kentucky (as elsewhere, deeper in the south) there are a ton of so-called evangelical "Christians" for whom Republican politics is their true religion, while they engage in their church-hobby on Sundays. Their gospel is self-righteous selfishness, wrapped in the flag. (No, I mean the old Confederate slave-ocracy flag.)
    Anyhow, thanks for posting that, @davidmoran.
  • I must admit that I think it will be good for some of the people born before civil rights to be gone. I grew up in MS Delta. The ratio of black to white even in the 50s was higher than average. The economy was such that all but the poorest whites could afford a private in-house employee that provided both cleaning and day care. Many whites resented welfare without realizing that welfare payments subsidized the affordability of their life style. A woman with children could qualify for welfare if their income was small enough. The welfare payment was too small so it created a need to subsidize her income. She was often employed in a private residence with an income paid under-the-table. The income was much, much less than minimum wage. In short, the welfare payment was also subsidizing the white employer. This is only one of the things that was lost with civil rights. My dad became furious when he was asked for minimum wage, payment to Social Security, etc. by people seeking private home jobs. He found his standard of living substantially lowered when he decided he could no longer afford a maid.

The "white" schools were integrated resulting in the establishment of "church" schools outside of town in the counties. Many whites moved to the "suburbs" along with the experienced teachers as the poor were left in the city. A private school was established inside the city with tuition high enough to exclude the poor. This expense exasperated the lowering of the white life style. The "white" school system became predominately black, without sufficient funding as many areas of the city became poorer and began to deteriorate.

During my last year living there (1970; I was 19) a young girl from a very poor family saw me walking down the street. She ran to catch up with me. She was in elementary school and an exceptional student. Her father was a drunk and her mother an invalid. The older kids and their wives and children lived with them. Somehow they survived. I asked the girl what her plans for the future were. As she turned and pointed back to her house, she told me that she didn't have any plans because she knew that no matter what she did she would end up "just like them". She was white; her family hated and looked down on minorities more than anyone I knew. During civil rights my friends and I found it remarkable that this need to feel someone else was less than oneself was a major factor in keeping all groups divided and powerless.
  • Assume everyone here knows LBJ's famous quote:

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."
  • Yes, I am indeed familiar.:(
  • I haven't been on this site for a few weeks due to the unnecessary political discussion that seems to leak into every topic. Looks like I haven't missed anything. It's unfortunate.
  • @willmatt72: Hang in there, this to hopefully will pass !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted: It wouldn't be here to "pass" if you hadn't started the whole thing. Again. Keep it up and you may be banned. Again.
  • edited July 2018
    @willmatt72 and others ...

Thanks for making comment under "Gentle reminder." I'm a little disgusted myself with this especially when one poster says he hopes that those that disagree with him that Trump is a trader ... Well, just read his below comment for yourself.

"Trump is a traitor and EVERYONE that supports him is also a traitor. All of you can eat shit and die."

Can you believe that management (of this site) has left this up?
  • Some apparently feel that the tone of rono's comments is more important than the probability that Trump is apparently well and truly in Putin's pocket. Evidently they feel that it's more important to affect politeness than it is to worry about the security of the United States.

"Will Hurd, a House Republican from Texas, urges his colleagues to take action on Russia. “Over the course of my career as an undercover officer in the C.I.A., I saw Russian intelligence manipulate many people. I never thought I would see the day when an American president would be one of them,” he writes. “As a member of Congress, a coequal branch of government designed by our founders to provide checks and balances on the executive branch, I believe that lawmakers must fulfill our oversight duty as well as keep the American people informed of the current danger.”

• edited July 2018
    "Trump is a traitor and EVERYONE that supports him is also a traitor. All of you can eat shit and die."

As I agree with the sentiment, I don't mind the "tone" at all. But I could see where others might.

My anger has risen to a point where I feel that action should be taken against the POTUS. As no action is ever taken, my anger just intensifies. He should NEVER side with the Russians, or any foreign govt for that matter. TREASON is not taken lightly here.

The post flies in the face of the OP's "Gentle reminder....". But hey, he included some nice salutations, so its all good.
  • @joed. A+++++++ .
  • edited July 2018
    Old_Skeet said:

Can you believe that management (of this site) has left this up?

I’m sure they winced.:(

However, the poster in question is a highly respected, knowledgable, time-honored contributor to both Fund Alarm and MFO who also served (or now serves) as an elected Republican official in Michigan. I suspect management considered all pertinent facts (including the resident slime-thrower for whom it was likely intended) and determined with regret to allow the comment to stand. The sentiment expressed is obviously not only heartfelt, but also “out of character” for this normally mild-mannered poster. Agree - we wouldn’t want the particular tone to become prevalent here. (I don’t believe it will.)

Thomas Jefferson (paraphrasing Aristotle) once said: "There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequal people."
  • Supplementing hank's comments, rono is one of the oldest and most respected contributors to both MFO and it's predecessor, FundAlarm. Anyone familiar with his posts over the years immediately notes his very uncharacteristic strong language as an extremely unusual departure from his usual good natured postings. rono has done his share of military service, in addition to other civic service contributions. Which is a lot more than our Dear Leader can say.

rono is plain pissed. And very rightly so.

The resident slime-thrower (who uses a Hollywood imitation of a real US general for an icon) is perfectly willing to accept a traitor as president as long as he can continue to make lots of money.
  • Two great quotes in this thread: LBJ's and Thomas Jefferson's.
    Why would anyone want to cancel it?
  • I understand that @Rono is upset and I recognize him as a long standing contributor. However, I disagree that it justifies hurling vile insults in a childish manner. I'll just refer to Charles plea for civility.

If people want to discuss policy, that is one thing, but this is the wrong site if you want to trade insults.