Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Gentle reminder ...

13»

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Hi @Old_Joe and others,

I find rono's message ok but the language and the presentation leave much to be desired. I'm thinking that the subject post is not one that should be allowed to stand due to the very strong language used. In addition, I feel calling the President out for treason because he met with Putin in of itself is pretty strong ... and, perhaps an act of treason in those doing this.

This is much like the governor of their home state getting caught speeding by the highway patrol. They should be ticketed just as any other citizen should be and not given a pass because of who they are. And, giving a pass for this type of language used in rono''s post of "General reminder" is just unacceptable from my view.

For those that may have missed it ... rono's post reads as follows ...

rono
    July 19 Flag
    Howdy folks,

Stuff it. My country is under siege by a treasonous SOB that stole the election via Russian meddling. Jr. gave the Russians, the GOP voter data base so they could target the idiots that believe.

Trump is a traitor and EVERYONE that supports him is also a traitor. All of you can eat shit and die.

and so it goes,

rono

The problem I have with his post is this sentence.

"Trump is a traitor and EVERYONE that supports him is also a traitor. All of you can eat shit and die."

That is very strong and offensive language (period).

Regardless of the contributions of rono in the past this language should be removed and not allowed.

Respectfully,

Old_Skeet

I'm thinking this thread needs to be closed (better yet removed) and politics left somewhere else.
  • Good points and post @Old_Skeet.

Trump has come along at a point in political history where, by the narrowest of margins, his was elected. I voted for him, so @rono, pass me a plate of SOS...couldn't bare 4 years of Hell-ary...especially after the Dems "deep-sixed' Sanders.

This country has had to endure all stripes of poor leaders. Often these periods are followed by the awakening of true leaders.

Still waiting....
  • Please implement IGNORE feature where one User does not see posts from another User. Problem solved.
  • Howdy folks,

I want to apologize for my earlier postie. Alas, my dark side occasionally shows itself. I spoke in heat of the moment and out of a great despair for my country.

Instead I will pray the poor deluded souls will realize the emperor is naked.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

• I liked your earlier "dark side" post.
  • Please implement IGNORE feature where one User does not see posts from another User. Problem solved.

Agree. It can't be that hard to do, given that M* does it.
  • edited July 2018
    AndyJ said:

Please implement IGNORE feature where one User does not see posts from another User. Problem solved.

Also not hard to provide links to SAME websites with posts from SAME Authors that keep getting posted ad nauseum by the SAME person. Fewer crap posts, fewer fights. Sometimes less is more. I tried to suggest this in an earlier post but didn't get anywhere.

The REAL problem is MFO has become personal propaganda machine for 1 or 2 people. Then when others try to combat that, they are personally attacked. THEN if they don't bend over and take it, it is somehow they who are not being "civil". When THEY can't debate based on logic they try to bully you with personal insults. When you protest THEY threaten you with getting you banned from MFO. Further perpetuating the notion THEY are in control of MFO. Everyday that passes, I feel more and more that is actually the case.

Frankly the problem is with the entire world and unfortunately has manifested @ MFO. Seems impossible, but tragically true. Logic and Fact has no place. It's about Opinion and Bullshit.

• When encountering resistance, the modern bully whines about being bullied. Happens here, happens in politics, happens in a lot of venues these days. Clearly they're searching for their own victimization b/c their skins run awfully thin.

AndyJ said:

Please implement IGNORE feature where one User does not see posts from another User. Problem solved.

Also not hard to provide links to SAME websites with posts from SAME Authors that keep getting posted ad nauseum by the SAME person. Fewer crap posts, fewer fights. Sometimes less is more. I tried to suggest this in an earlier post but didn't get anywhere.

The REAL problem is MFO has become personal propaganda machine for 1 or 2 people. Then when others try to combat that, they are personally attacked. THEN if they don't bend over and take it, it is somehow THEY who are not being "civil". When they can't debate based on logic they try to bully you with personal insults. When you protest they threaten you with getting you banned from MFO. Further perpetuating the notion THEY are in control of MFO. Everyday I fell that is actually the case.

Frankly the problem is with the entire world. Logic and Fact has no place. It's about Opinion and Bullshit.
  • @AndyJ "Agree. It can't be that hard to do, given that M* does it. "

I can tell the software developers from the MBAs at MFO. No need to modify the software again. The people who own this site treat us like kings but that's no reason to treat them like servants or to minimize their role. Behavior includes doing one's own ignoring. Example: suppose I ignore Ted then discover most thread fund subjects are posed by Ted. I guess I'll come back and ask for the site owners to work overtime to enable me to ignore Ted only when the subject is not Fund Discussions.

Or maybe you have a team of software experts to volunteer. I'm sure all of us have at least one feature we saw at another site that we want. A poster made a boo boo. He has apologized. No need to divert the behavior into a work order for the innocent.
  • edited July 2018
    So let me get this straight, it's okay for the current potus to swear, name-call and threaten or incite violence across the land and around the world but everyone else should just shut up and take it. Got it. But I ain't gonna do it and it ain't gonna happen.

I happen to agree with rono and sometimes I have to twist my arms really, really hard not to respond as he did. Out of a great deal of respect for the work of David and his team in providing a place for civil discourse and venting a bit, I won't do it here, but for those of you who do not see the irony in calling rono out take a really long look in the mirror and at your standards.
  • +1. Has this country ever been in this position before? I am hard-pressed to think of a President more disconnected, unhinged, detached, narcissistic, morally bankrupt, self-absorbed and with absolutely no integrity. (We thought GWB was as bad as things could get, but we were wrong.) The arcane and antiquated Electoral system we still use made it so. And so I truly believe that to be alarmed and indignant and "up in arms" is merely to be expected, in the USA in 2018. To say nothing of the GOP's gerrymandering. The playing field is far from level. And "third parties?" Dead before they even get out of the gate, because both Dems and Reps make sure they never see the light of day. Vested interests are totally safe, ironclad. Change must come from the grass roots. The suits at the top of the heap will never voluntarily just let go of their privilege.
  • The motto, if that’s the right term, of the previous Administration was, “When they go low, we go high.” Not always an easy example to follow in our personal or public dealings, but it is worth emulating. Before clicking the “post” button, I count to 10, re-read what I have written, then spell and grammar check. The last thing I want is for my meager contributions to resemble the tweets that fill the tv screen every time I turn it on.
  • Sorry in advance but I appreciate Ted's investment related posts and the effort he puts into selecting them.I think his presence makes the site better as does Rono's etc. I may not be a fan of some of the political posts on this ite but they are rarely as offensive as I have seen on other sites. For example Mediate.com is great site but the comments on some stories can break your heart if you are a lover of this country and wonder about what its become
  • edited July 2018
    Overreaction, @ Anna, including unwarranted assumptions, to wit: Why do you think my comment is about Ron's post? Why do you think I have a business degree, and what's that got to do with anything? You appear to think I'm a right-winger, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I have zero expectation that another feature can or will be added to MFO, and I'm not ordering anybody to do anything. Signing off on this thread now -- AJ
  • edited July 2018

The REAL problem is MFO has become personal propaganda machine for 1 or 2 people ...

I’m aware of only 1 person who habitually abuses the site. Wish it were only propaganda. Seem more like self-emulation to me. Obviously it’s a 24/7 activity.
    Anna said:

Behavior includes doing one's own ignoring. Example: suppose I ignore Ted then discover most thread fund subjects are posed by Ted. I guess I'll come back and ask for the site owners to work overtime to enable me to ignore Ted only when the subject is not Fund Discussions.

@Anna, Admire the skillful wordsmithing evident through your lengthier piece and agree with the sentiment of the clip I’ve excerpted above. However, I don’t know why it was directed to @AndyJ in particular. Perhaps you intended only the initial sentence (a quote) to refer to him - and your response thereafter to a broader audience? I certainly don’t need to vouch for Andy’s always considerate treatment of others, including management, and the valuable contributions he makes to the board.
  • hank said:

@Anna, Admire the skillful wordsmithing evident through your lengthier piece

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wordsmith
    The wordsmith's job is to make up bullshit on the spot.

?. OK.
  • edited July 2018
    Anna said:

hank said:

@Anna, Admire the skillful wordsmithing evident through your lengthier piece

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wordsmith
    The wordsmith's job is to make up bullshit on the spot.
    (more from Anna’s linked source):

“Wordsmith: One with the ability to effortlessly string together words, no matter their actual meaning, in an instance and in such a way it brings a smile to the faces of those listening, sometimes often laughter or tears of admiration for having heard someone with such an amazing skill. Often one to spawn many a catch phrases or wicked new taunts and subtle insults, as well as song lyrics, raps and strange and often disturbing stories that make little sense.”

@Anna - I think you mean there was no intent to besmirch Andy - OK by me.

Franklin said: “Tart words make no friends ...“ (Folks can Google the second part if they’re curious.) I enjoy dishing them out myself. Thing is - not everyone takes them for the overblown hyperbolic nonsense you and I know them to be. I’ve shot myself in the foot enough times here be wary of when to unleash those “slings and arrows” - and against whom - and when to withhold fire. (But I still screw up from time to time.):)

Regards (and thanks for the answer)
  • "But I still screw up from time to time."

Yes, don't we all, he said sternly, looking in the mirror.