Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Solid-State Batteries For EVs

2»

Comments

• edited October 19
    I could use that Dodge Power Wagon in the winter. Sometimes our rural roads out here go unplowed for a day or two following big storms. Someone I knew bought a new one - probably in the late 60. Stayed in that family for decades until literally fell apart and was scrapped. It appears ground clearance is continuing to diminish on the new mid sized sedans. Less today than what my ‘18 Accord has. A pity. I suspect that’s one reason folks keep buying bigger vehicles. If you’ve driven in snow you appreciate some G/C.
  • You need to get yourself a 2025 Hummer pickup with "Extract Mode" @hank
    "EXTRACT MODE
    To get over or out of a tough spot, initiate Extract Mode* and HUMMER EV activates its Adaptive Air Ride Suspension to rise approximately 6" to surmount tough obstacles—think traversing boulders or fording water.*

*BONUS* -

"CRABWALK™
    4-Wheel Steer enables the maneuvering flexibility of CrabWalk.* At low speeds, CrabWalk turns the rear wheels in phase with the front wheels, allowing the Pickup to move diagonally to help traverse tight trails."
  • After WWII, my father opened a small airport on the shore in eastern Connecticut. The airfield could accommodate both conventional small planes as well as sea planes. He owned a Republic RC-3 Seabee, as described in the Wikipedia link. One of the most interesting technical features of this plane was its rear-facing push propeller (somewhat visible in linked photo).

https://www.si.edu/object/republic-rc-3-seabee:nasm_A19840676000

The airport did not work out financially, but it served to sate my father’s appetite for flying. He had a day job, after all. I recall all the safety precautions taught me about manually spun props that could lift a man off the ground as a result of an angine backfire. That a spinning prop was invisible to the naked eye when a plane is on the ground was another lesson. Sadly, a passenger alighting at the airport while the plane’s engine still running backed into the prop and lost his arm. I’ve seen some news clippings about the accident, but I’m not sure what it may have cost my father. He was very safety-conscious but still took me up in a Piper Cub when I was about 3 or 4. Our family car had after-market seat belts way before the car manufacturers provided them. My rotator cuff tear doesn’t hurt as much when I think of that poor soul and his mishap.
  • edited October 19
    Well, this thread is a bit 'crashed' from original. But, good for mental health reasons. Hoping y'all don't mind.

@hank I did this link a few years ago, relative to the older tractors; and the sounds I recall on the farms of my neighbors.
    I believe this is a JD A model. Typical idle speed is 145-190 rpm's. The 'audio' for this short video provides the full emotion of the sound. There remain several large antique tractor shows each summer in our area. A lot of money is spent by some, for this hobby.
  • edited October 20
    Hi @Old_Joe A little story about a remote job location, too; as remote as your location; but with modern amenities. I really enjoyed your write.
    This was my 'ride' 24 miles each direction when I worked (post USAF, 4 years) at the then Kwajalein Missile Test Range in the Marshall Islands, Kwajalein Atoll; in 1971.

Kwajalein Island. Large runway; and all housing, stores, and other facilities to support those who worked and lived at this, and other nearby complex(s).

Meck Island. This is where I worked, 6 days a week. This is the missile launch island for testing a variety of interceptor types used to intercept an incoming, unarmed ICBM that had be launched from Vandenberg AFB, in CA. Missile Launch at Meck.
    The runway was very short and always a full props reverse stop, with full flaps and hard on the brakes. Many times there was a decent cross wind. The aircraft was not straight down the runway when landing, until the rear wheels touched. The landing and take off at Meck Island were like two free carnival rides each day. Towards the very top of the photo is were several launch silos were located.

NOTE: Weeks prior to tests, a large portion of the surrounding ocean was off limits to water or air traffic. Just outside of these zones, at the very least; prior to tests, Russian 'fishing boats' would arrive. Wonder what they were trying to 'net'? Also reports of Russian submarines, but that wasn't my 'need to know' area.

One of the pilots (Shorty) was retired CIA and part of his previous pilot work was airdrops and/or possible landings of special cargo in Africa. The older ones here may recall, the civil war in Biafra (Nigeria) from 1967-1970. I recall from some of his stories that he generally flew C-130 and C-129 cargo aircraft, and dropped skids onto the runway; as many times the runway was damaged AND/OR there was active gun fire or mortars being dropped onto the runway to prevent the supply runs. I should have recorded all of his stories.
    Needless to say, his piloting was not tested so much at Kwajalein, when I was a passenger.

Okay. Enough of my jabber for now.
  • Thanks @Mark. But buying a Hummer sounds a little bit like joining a circus.
  • edited October 20
    @catch22- Yes sir, On my way home after a year at Tarumpitao Point on Palawan Island in the Philippines our Coast Guard transport (an old DC-4 on it's very last flight) stopped overnight at almost every US base in the South Pacific, as our flight crew had no desire to fly that thing over the ocean at night. Trust me- Kwajalein Atoll was a busy metropolis compared to Tarumpitao Point.

At that time Palawan was quite peaceful and there were no international challenges regarding who owned what. Filipino fishermen and smugglers were about the only folks who regularly traveled that area. There was, a very short distance from our station, a village whose main source of income was smuggling. We were on very good terms with those folks, as they were our suppliers of Tanduay liquors (which were available in many different labels but which all tasted pretty much the same), charcoal from Borneo for our weekend BBQ, and a few other "special order" items.

With our station Officer-in-Charge turning a blind eye we helped repair the smuggler's one-lung engines, and they returned the favor in a number of other ways.

Today China is claiming ownership over the Spratley islands, which are well within the Philippine area of control and a short distance from our station on Palawan in the South China Sea. I have no idea how the smugglers are still doing.
  • @catch22, @Old_Joe thanks for the history and stories. I spent half my morning trying to imagine being a 20-something year old kid placed there back in the day when you guys were. Fascinating places Kwajalein & Meck islands but I have this thing for islands consisting mostly of white sandy beaches (but remind me to cross Ebeye off my list). My dad served as a navy pilot in the Philippines (WWII) but I've been unable to find out just exactly where. One of those things I wish I had talked to him more about when I was a kid. My loss. His service records just tell me what military unit(s) he was attached to similar to my Vietnam era records.
  • edited 9:11AM
    @Old_Joe and @Mark If I recall properly, Mark; you and @Rono were in harms way for your military duties. Fortunately, my Vietnam era duties never placed me in war zones, mostly due to my work and security clearance levels.
    One large irony for me and working at Kwajalein, for one year, for a D.O.D. contractor; is that of all of the remote locations in the middle of the Pacific Ocean is that: a 1980 family reunion found that my Uncle Jack was in battle at Kwajalein in 1944 to control the island and area from the Japanese. Now we learn that OJ had his feet one the same island, and that when I arrived for work at Kwajalein; the person who greeted me at the airplane was someone I had worked with in Taiwan for 2 years; who also lived in Michigan about 60 miles from my hometown.
    What are the odds of knowing others, with myself; who all had our feet on this tiny coral island with such different circumstances and time periods. Perhaps I need to buy more lotto tickets.
    Those reading this must keep in mind; that I am an anti-war person, in spite of the mission of the missile program at Kwajalein. However, shortly after my 4 years of the USAF; and still being a young one, my work and security clearances found my work, at the time, to be 'in demand'. I mailed about 30 resumes to a variety of organizations. My first job interview (resembling a movie scene); and after a 30 page employment form, was a 4 hour meeting, with 'John' at the Holiday Inn at Ohara airport in Chicago. John was an interviewer for the CIA, for their electronics group. Next was a D.O.D. contractor who flew me to NJ for an interview. He stated that after my first one year, I could choose any number of 'nice' locations globally, however; your first job with us would be at the embassy in Saigon (1972). This was not a good time for living in Saigon. I expressed my thanks; but that you can't offer me enough money for that work station. A third interview found me accepting a job at Kwajalein. I did have a motive for such a location. The pay was very good, provided housing and meals (very good food), medical, etc.; no Federal or local income tax, I maxed the small SS income ceiling and eventually didn't pay into SS. Before completing the contract I purchased 3 high end camera systems, as well as 3 high end audio systems and had them shipped to my Michigan address. I had access to the Army system to order 'whatever' at a very low cost. The new systems were sold for a nice profit in Michigan. The shortcut of the story/job is that I still wanted to travel; and I was able to save a lot of money. I mixed some of my savings with two sisters for our parents to have a 25th anniversary trip in Aruba. Then my own travel plan: travelled the U.S. to visit friends, backpacked through Europe and North Africa for about 1 year and some other side trips in the U.S. Two and one-half years later, I applied for jobs again; and accepted one in Michigan with a large, global company, where I worked for 32 years; within Michigan.

I'll do a few more notes later for some personal discovery history while at 'Kwaj',

• edited October 21
    Many of these posts have absolutely nothing to do with solid-state batteries. ;-)
    But that's ok - there are some interesting stories from Old_Joe and catch22!
  • @Observant1- Yeah, we got a little sidetracked there... sorry.
  • edited 3:22AM
    No worries!
    I enjoyed reading these vignettes.