Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A July 4th Salute

2»

Comments

• Is that what it smells like when you're ironing?
  • msf
    edited July 2018
    I might suggest a different word: disingenuous.

>> It was originally designed to simply present a medley of military songs. I had no hidden agenda.

Something that could have been presented any day of the year, though it was presented explicitly as "A July 4 Salute". No message, no agenda. Yup.

>> The current [post] took unexpected directions. ... I was not trying to influence anyone on anything. ...
    >> I suggest that we close with a revisit to that singular goal.

Okie dokie.

A musical salute to July 4th as opposed to a military revere might include some pieces like Stars and Stripes Forever (conducted by the "first conductor born in the United States to achieve a major international reputation") or Yankee Doodle Dandy (Cagney/Cohan), Variations on "America" (a youthful piece by Ives, here arranged by William Schuman and conducted by Leonard Slatkin).

Personally, I prefer music for the 4th that isn't so "in your face". Music that simply represents the best of American brilliance, such as Ella and Louis performing Summertime for this summer holiday.

Then there's there's the piece the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra commissioned for the WWII war effort, expecting it to be named something like Fanfare for Soldiers. It turned out to be more than that.

The name for Fanfare for the Common Man came from then Vice President "Wallace's idea that the post-war century 'can and must be the century of the common man.' ... [The music is] solemn, moving and very deep. Those are not attributes that you think of when defining a fanfare. But those attributes also define patriotism – in this case, the sadness of war, where people are dying.'"

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/2016/11/05/coplands-fanfare-making-musical-monument/92508708/

• Old_Joe said:

Is that what it smells like when you're ironing?

• Hi Guys,

The postings here have become more and more off-subject. Some of these posts are far removed from the original submittal which served a simple entertainment mission. In fact, I completely fail to see any connection whatsoever. But I'm sure some of you guys are far more perceptive than I am and see some linkage. I don't. I think too linearly.

It is a rather common happenstance that our military and the Declaration of Independence are often linked together when that great document is discussed or celebrated. That is no accident. It happens all the time for logical reasons: they are intertwined. For example, the NBC TV Fourth celebration last night included a military medley that closely resembled the military medley that I referenced. The material was the same; the ordering changed. Ordering doesn't matter. Hooray for Army, first or last!

I think this Link should have died a quiet death many postings ago. Perhaps it soon will!

Best Wishes

• @hank -you said "John McCain, genuine war hero that he is, has never flaunted his distinguished service to the nation."

Anyone comparing that to prez bone spurs tells them everything they need to know.
  • @Mark- Looks like I don't really need to reproduce any more... you're doing a fine job without my help. Carry on! :)
  • @OJ - I learned from the master.
  • Hi @davidrmoran
    Thank you for your "wordpress" link to the wonderful write for your grandfather. A most complex and interesting person.

As to the well documented and more "modern" period of Asia; for the preceding time period, during and the aftermath of your grandfather's time in Japan, circa 1916, as well as travel through Russia (circa 1912-1913?) found a tremendous period of unrest and war in the region.

A more or less approximation timeline in the area:
    ---Sino-Japanese war:
    First Sino-Japanese War, conflict between Japan and China in 1894–95 that marked the emergence of Japan as a major world power and demonstrated the weakness of the Chinese empire. The war grew out of conflict between the two countries for supremacy in Korea. Korea had long been China’s most important client state, but its strategic location opposite the Japanese islands and its natural resources of coal and iron attracted Japan’s interest. In 1875 Japan, which had begun to adopt Western technology, forced Korea to open itself to foreign, especially Japanese, trade and to declare itself independent from China in its foreign relations.
    ---The Boxer Rebellion (circa 1901) in China attempting to push 13 western powers out of China.
    ---Russian-Japan War. Russia needed a warm water seaport and decided to "annex" a bit of land from Japan. Beginning in 1903 and by 1906, Russia had its butt whipped.
    ---China, 1911; found the birth of the "Nationalist" party, which eventually became a civil war with Communist led forces of Chairman Mao and ended in 1949 with Mao's army in charge and the Nationalist gov't. and friends appropriating Formosa (Taiwan).
    'Course, a few years down the road of history found Japan expanding into China and other nearby areas (Japan also controlled Taiwan, in a benevolent fashion, from 1895 until the end of WW2 in the Pacific...1945).
    And your grandfather's travel in Russia not long before all of that country began to unwind one system for another.
    Many other factions and frictions existed in the entire region of the Far East and my limited recall only listed the above; which in many cases was a holdover period of "The Warlords" over many centuries.
    Other areas of the globe found many frictions during the period beginning circa, 1900.

*****One of the better books I've read (years ago) explaining western powers and China, beginning in 1620 through the early 1960's; for those so inclined to have a better understanding of the region; as well as an ongoing factor into current thinking and events.......To Change China

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/jonathan-spence-2/to-change-china-western-advisers-in-china-1620-/

China's current Belt and Road Initiative is another interesting area that will likely have strong benefits in the coming years.

Thanks and take care,
    Catch
  • edited July 2018
    @catch22

Yes, and thanks much for your recitation. (I am totally immersed in all of this, as I am writing a filmable novel of SFMoran's life, and welcome all inputs, which is so counterproductive to getting the thing done, as all historical-novel researchers come to realize. It will be a hit if it ever gets done, but note agency-avoiding passive voice here.)

SFM did his UCC social service mission work in Jpn 1916 - ~1957, the second stint after having returned, after his USMC PoW SoPac adventures. Prior, he had traveled across czarist Russia as secretary to a famous YMCA speaker, and his BiJ son my father (SRMoran) went a year or two to college in China, so there was that China connection, not only through SFM buddha art scholarship. Neither father nor son was a historical or systemic thinker particularly, although it's hard for anyone to be such in real time as dramatic events swirl.

Of course it was only coincidence that they were on missionary furlough and to college when Japan struck, else they would all have been interned for years, in-country or abroad.

So thanks for this. SFM's character/temperament/personality are not quite as enthralling as his factual life narrative, so I am having to embellish significantly. (SFM 'stylistically' had almost as much in common w DHoffman as Rainman as DHoffman as Jack Crabb, if you know those movies.)