Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open Thread: What Are You Buying/Selling/Pondering

Comments

• Hi guys!
    Been busy 55 - 60 hours a week PLUS summer things to do. So, I've been selling hoping for a correction at some point. Most of this is old (sorry) FBIOX - TMSFX the tip of the spear went. Hope to get a better price FSENX - FSRFX - FMEIX. Raising cash for Halloween (lol!). Also MAPIX - BTBFX - AVEDX - lots of selling but remember some has been awhile ago. Am also thinking about YAFFX, but have not decided yet. Have built about 20% cash. I am going to less funds right now....17 funds. Hope to go lower in time.
    God bless.
    the Pudd
  • Opened a new position in GAOAX for a world allocation fund. I purchased it with the proceeds of the sale of BAICX, which seems to be acting like a high yield bond fund as of late.
  • Eliminated TRAMX. With that money, I opened a new position in PRDSX. Cut way down on PRASX and split that money between PRWCX and TRGRX.
  • @MikeW,

I am totally out of Matthews and have no direct investments in emerging markets, only a minuscule amount thru my target risk fund.
  • I added a slug of VTR prior to the Care Capital Properties spinoff, and will wait until the bell rings on the initial rate increase for any more reit purchases. Other than that, the funds remain inactive from my 401K rollover, waiting to be deployed.
  • edited August 2015
    Been buying PRNEX. Cash down to 11-12% (from about 20% a year ago).

That article JohnC linked several months ago about oil hitting $35 has gotten closer to reality. (But I still don't believe it.)

Also, recall Maurice a year or two ago speculating oil might get back to around $40 (when it was still around $100). Good call Maurice.

• Over the last month, have been averaging into:
    SNTIX (muni bonds)
    VWAHX (muni bonds)
    BNDX (global bonds)
    EDV (US treasury bonds)

Over the last two weeks have been averaging a small amount into:
    RYPMX (gold miners)
  • MikeW, the weekly price of CPA (Copa Holdings) has been below its 50-week simple moving average since August, 2014, and it has been making lower lows and lower highs since then, all not good signs.
  • Added to Gilead (GILD), Ecolab (ECL), Brookfield Property (BPY)
  • DMCRX -- Russell is not down very much compared to Dow, S&P and Nasdaq...relative strength.
  • edited August 2015
    Finally got into GILD @ 109ish. Another limit order pending @ 105 just in case. The thing that I don't particularly like is that GILD is 83% institutionally owned. It seems to me that this has the potential of significantly increasing the volatility based on large player games rather than developments specific to GILD itself. On the other hand, the PE is compelling.
  • edited August 2015
    Old_Joe said:

Finally got into GILD @ 109ish. Another limit order pending @ 105 just in case. The thing that I don't particularly like is that GILD is 83% institutionally owned. It seems to me that this has the potential of significantly increasing the volatility based on large player games rather than developments specific to GILD itself.

You have a stock that is trading at around a 12 p/e and a single digit forward p/e (as well as a forward PEG of 0.60) and offers both a significant buyback and a decent dividend. We've talked about the specifics of GILD before and despite all appearances of cheapness, I think what happens to some degree is that you have ETF selling in biotech that knocks down the entire sector.

Otherwise, if people want to sell GILD with its valuation (and again, I think it's a very similar situation to Apple, despite being two very different companies), then I'll buy. I think there's a fair amount of things that remain appealing over a longer period, but not that much that is tremendously cheap. Gilead is an example of the latter.

I continue to see Gilead as a buy and hold, reinvesting dividends. The funny thing is that, despite the volatility in the name, I'm less concerned about Gilead than some other, less volatile names that I own.

Good luck to both of us.
  • Thanks Scott... best to you also.

OJ
  • DMCRX -- Russell is not down very much compared to Dow, S&P and Nasdaq...relative strength.

Have you checked TREE, biggest position in the fund?

• @openice -- definitely not a good day for TREE, but look at its performance this year...not too shabby. DMCRX hasn't done too badly, either.
  • Changed my limit order on GILD to 106, got immediate confirmation. Placed another backup limit at 105. We shall see.
  • 5 minutes before the market closed I took positions in: IWM, QQQ, and IBB, pretty much at today's lows.
  • GILD got down to about 105.33, so that last order didn't take. Monday should be interesting.
  • edited August 2015
    Old_Joe said:

GILD got down to about 105.33, so that last order didn't take. Monday should be interesting.

I bought more before the close. Not going to add any more for a while unless there's a significant move lower.

I think what you want to watch is Sunday night and the Asian open - to see if there's any measures taken by the Chinese govt.
  • I bought a bunch of GILD at around $100 a while ago. My current lowest limit order is at $73.28, which is where the weekly 200-period MA stands. Hey, never say never!
  • Linter...I have a feeling there are a few folks on this board who hope your order never fills. Looking at both REGN and GILD, but not sure if that's a pool I want to jump into.
  • I bought a few big chunks of USMV today in the afternoon. That's it for me for awhile.
  • edited August 2015
    PRESSmUP said:

Linter...I have a feeling there are a few folks on this board who hope your order never fills. Looking at both REGN and GILD, but not sure if that's a pool I want to jump into.

Everyone is different and that's good. I mentioned earlier today that despite the kind of ridiculous volatility in GILD - which I thought would calm down a little after they started the dividend - it's actually a name that I really don't get stressed about. I collect the dividend and if it goes down I'll buy more up to a point. I like needs and healthcare is a core of that.

I would be much more nervous owning, for example, Starbucks, because despite my appreciation for that company's outstanding management. If things start heading South, people are going to have less half calf triple mocha skinny whipped cream pumpkin spiced lattes. Things that are "first to gos" when things go South are things I want nothing to do with in general.

And someone might sleep well at night owning Starbucks, and that's fine.

Regeneron I'm not as familiar with. I like Celgene although that's more of a risk - I feel they've laid out a path to try and reach their goals for 2017/2020. Without a dividend that's much more reliance upon management, but they've certainly got a fine track record so far.

Amgen I've owned in the past and perhaps that's something I take a look at again down the road.

• Scott....I know REGN as they were my client, and I am somewhat familiar with their pipe. GILD certainly has a lower PE, but a smaller therapeutic footprint in the market.
  • Both yesterday and today, I added to HQL, which I thought was over-sold. Of course, it continued to drop.
  • BenWP said:

Both yesterday and today, I added to HQL, which I thought was over-sold. Of course, it continued to drop.

Buyback started a month ago. Hopefully that provides some support to that and the other funds in that family.
  • Much as I don't like it ARTYX may have luck on its side. Its 40% in cash. I'm sure manager can quickly get out of his positions he is in given asset are low. His numbers might start looking pretty good when market starts turning around.

I didn't have it on my buy list, but now it is.

I'm going to roll out of my aggressive fair into more conservative fair, taking some profits, some loses along the way. I have a good list of funds I invest in and keeping rolling out of and into them. Prevents me from making very stupid decisions and keeps me invested.

• I am thinking of adding to Vanguard Natural Resourses VNR (no connection to Vanguard Funds). Anyone here hold this and if so do you think it can maintain its dividend until things improve? I'm an optomist...things will improve...lol
  • edited August 2015
    hawk - don't let that VNR dividend yield seduce you (I'll tell your wife). That sexy dividend depends on the price of the commodity the company is finding, producing and selling. The company may survive and come back but until the industry/sector settles out I'm sticking with the majors and that means XOM, CVX or COP. Personally I prefer the pipelines to the producers but I know they are not for everyone. If you don't mind CEF's then PEO looks good and spreads out your bet.

Take care old friend.
  • Might be a bit early, but bought a slug of both T and VZ for the income sleeve.