Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Are You Buying / Selling / Pondering?

Comments

• Last night, 8# of extra lean ground beef, $2.20/lb. First screaming BUY I'd seen in a month, anywhere!
  • Added to my international small cap today OSMYX
  • Maybe HCP. Added to RCS, pays better than my savings account and has one of the best managers in the business.
  • edited May 2015
    May add the eventual REIT spin-off from Madison Square Garden (MSG). No idea when that happens, although I'd guess within the next few months.
  • Will probably buy more ADXS Monday; important biopharm conference presentation this weekend.
  • Wondering if David's June commentary has changed any minds?
  • "Last night, 8# of extra lean ground beef, $2.20/lb. First screaming BUY I'd seen in a month, anywhere!"

In May I saw extra lean for over $5 a pound. Yours is a very good deal indeed.
  • Will probably buy more ADXS Monday; important biopharm conference presentation this weekend.

good call on this. wish i'd bought a bunch on the open! or earlier!

• @davidmoran - do you work in the industry and what is special about ADXS? Thanks
  • edited June 2015
    No, I just play geezer hoops with rich friends in biopharm who knew it was presenting last weekend at some Jeffries onco conference. All public info (alas). (I live in extremely wealthy towns crawling with tech, bio, and money manager types.) So I bought some ADXS, and then some more, and sold it this morning, quick turn. It could still shoot past 30, I suppose.
    Now I am playing ETRM in that space, a stomach pacemaker thingy for fattier than moi. Holding ARWR and XOMA and waiting. Also holding and adding to COG and REXX, as I have posted before.
    I love quick turns and making a few thou, but gotta add, as others here have had the same experience, that my stock luck overall has never been great, and I am just now finally closing out serious losses from 2000-02 (tech startups) and 08-09 (REIT-type things). I have not paid gains taxes for about 15y, I think. If/when my old losses eventually get zeroed out in my retirement, I will be happy, and I really should not be doing any spec stuff anyway. He said.:)
  • LOL! He said indeed. Point taken.
  • Sold RSEIX, Bought POSKX
  • @ Although I'm in the process of liquidating my entire portfolio I need to do something with the cash.
    Just bought NAVISTAR INTL CORP
    B3 / CCC-
    CPN: 8.250% Due : 11/1/2021 Callable at $104.125 on 7/2/2015.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted, I had a feeling you would never be all out of the markets.

In a previous life, Navistar used to be International Harvester. A fine company that made farm implement and trucks. Top notch quality. Those engines would run forever.

I suspect you will dip your toes in some healthcare or biotech ( or both) as time goes by.
  • bought another chesapeake energy last wk. good yield.
  • @John Chisum: Yes, John you are correct ! I love investing and have had a reasonable amount of success. I guess you can take the boy away from the ticker tape, but I still hear the sound.
    Regards,
    Ted

P.S. My broker loves me again !
  • edited June 2015
    I continue to direct a portion of my monthly cash flow to the Calamitous Dead Shoots Opportunity Fund, a quasi-private equity LLC entity I established in Jan 2015. For those wishing to make a charitable contribution, or those with a tax-exempt "sovereign wealth" fund seeking to diversify a portion of assets, the fund remains open until a major market correction occurs; please call for a CUSIP (full disclosure: the lock-up period for this asset pool could be a very very loooong time!). Currently, the fund maintains a strategic 100% cash position.:)
  • Is that the fund based out of Tombstone AZ?

Lots of dead shoots down there.
  • edited June 2015
    Hi everyone,

I thought I’d update my earlier post, of May 20th, with some new information now that Doug Short has updated his monthly reporting on P/E Ratios and valuation for the S&P 500 Index.

It was previously reported that the S&P 500 TTM Earnings would be running in the $102 range through September; and, this has now has been revised downward to the $98.00 range in his most recent June reporting. For information purposes TTM Earnings peaked in the fourth quarter in the $105 range. This is quite a drop … don’t you think? I do.

For those interested I have provided a link to Mr. Short's information.

http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/updates/PE-Ratios-and-Market-Valuation.php

I am still running with my current asset allocation of about 20% cash, 20% income, 50% equity and 10% other as determined by my most recent Xray analysis of June 1st. In addition, should I decide to raise cash I have already made a potential sell list as well as a buy list should this anticipated pull back run deep in the market and attractive entry level valuations be reached.

With this, my near term outlook remains bearish ... and, I feel a pull back is indeed possible and, most likely, coming before we see fall.

Old_Skeet
  • edited June 2015
    Added one more time to Brookfield Property (BPY), which remains too tempting around $22. Done tho, as I don't want the position larger than it is in the overall portfolio.

• Thinking kinda along the same lines I was looking at Ventas but bought some RQI instead.
  • edited June 2015
    Mark said:

Thinking kinda along the same lines I was looking at Ventas but bought some RQI instead.

HCP/HCN (and don't get me wrong, those are very good REITs) often seem to be the focus and Ventas seems to be less talked about. Personally, if I was going to go for a health care REIT tomorrow, Ventas would be at the top of my list.

At this point, I own Howard Hughes (which isn't a REIT yet, and may become something very different over time, http://www.forbes.com/sites/antoinegara/2015/05/06/bill-ackman-baby-buffett-howard-hughes/), Brookfield Property Partners (which I think is kind of bizarrely undervalued and it may be for a while, but I'm fine with holding that for a very long time), Starwood Property (which will benefit from rising rates to the point where they've outlined exactly how much, but people throw it out anyways when people fear REITs and rising rates) and WP Carey.

While primarily considered a private equity co, Blackstone is also a gigantic real estate owner. I dont think I want to own any more real estate, but health care would be something I'd consider if I did.

• edited June 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My allocation in international funds is on the low side so I'll be increasing that through funds I currently hold. I want to get back up to 30% international.
  • Hi guys!
    Have sold PTHDX since they're going to close it anyway. Have bought NSC for my IRA. I am going to sell BTBFX --- soon. Large caps and bonds are not in, sooooo it's time to move on. Was hoping for a larger pullback to add to things on the buy side. I have a short buy list: JOHAX, FSRFX, and maybe FFBFX...not sold on this one yet as it could take years for banks to be all that again with slow rate increases from the Fed. Also have been looking at FNORX ---with the QE thing going on.
    God bless.
    the Pudd
  • Shopping Time is Open Boys...Plenty of Value out there...I have my shopping list in front of me for maybe a 3rd great (down) day tomorrow...
  • Reduced ODVYX and put proceeds into MINDX. First time into a region or country specific fund. Have HIEMX, so decided I could reduce the second fund and will see how remaining shares do over time. I still have developed funds OAKIX and ARTGX
  • @MFO Members: Can you say, CIM
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @ MFO Members: Today sold NLY-C, CTL, C, SDRL, CSCO, COHR, EMC, GPS, ORCL, WWT, WBA, and bought CIM. There is some risk, but with MM yielding next to nothing I'll take my chances on CIM yielding 13%. The .48 dividend has been aproved for three quarters, and there is a high degree of capital appreciation.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • I hope you didn't go all in. I've been pondering WMT or adding tp PG. Both are near their respective 52-wk lows.