Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anyone see any green on 11/7?

edited November 2013 in Off-Topic
Of all my stocks , etfs and funds, only OSTIX was in the green today. It was up $.01 :)

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Not me. Everything red except cash. Bad day.

But maybe not as bad as LLSCX...what's going on here?:

It had one heck of a distribution, looks like...

Looks like Fairholme FAIRX has good day as well, thanks to St Joe and Fannie.

• edited November 2013
    Actually, a few, all bond funds of one type or another:

ABNDX 12.56 +0.01 (0.08%)
    AIBAX 13.53 +0.01 (0.07%)
    ABHIX 6.25 +0.01 (0.16%)
    PONDX 12.34 +0.01 (0.08%)
    RPHYX 10.00 +0.01 (0.10%)
  • A few stocks in the green. Whitebox Tactical (WBMRX) green.
  • Reply to @scott: Sweet.
  • 3 stocks up and a couple unchanged.

Did you all get all the Twitter shares you wanted? Don't feel bad. I read where Fidelity was only allotted 89,000 to distribute for all of their customers. An individual with $5.5 million invested there wasn't considered preferred enough to get any shares.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Very nice. Bonds maybe back? Or, calm before the storm?
  • edited November 2013
    Reply to @Mark: Yes, Captain Picard and I at $26. (A dream I have=).)
  • I didn't have anything in the green but WAFMX was unchanged. does that count?
  • edited November 2013
    Reply to @Charles: All of the above may be true.:-)
  • edited November 2013
    Reply to @scott: Scott, I posted an article for you re Kinder Morgan the other day- it's quite a ways back in the pile now (thanks to Ted, mostly) but you might want to check it out.

OJ
  • How can you even ask:-)

HSGFX !!!

Hee, Hee
  • Reply to @VintageFreak: Ha! I saw that too. OK, well done (today).
  • FYI: My two bond fund were up PBDCX .02 & PONCX .01. however; my equities took a real beating especially telecoms.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @Mark: From Kenny Polcari: Early AM
    "First Twitter – priced last night at $26/share – up and through the revised range of $20 – $25/share. The excitement builds – the book fills in with investor interest – GS – the book runner – gets to allocate the winnings….Who shall receive stock? Do they want to allow the retail investor into the IPO process or let them wait for trading to begin as they will become natural support? What about the ‘fast money guys’ – will they be helpful today? Could it be true that GS spread the wealth only among 30 institutions? Are they playing the 80/20 rule? (80% of your business is done by 20% of your customers). "
    I certainly don't qualify as a 1% er and I guess not even a 20 %er !
  • Hmmm ... both the Riverpark income funds, RPHYX and RSIVX, were up. Hussman Strategic Total Return (HSTRX), a small hedging position in a family portfolio, likewise.

David
  • edited November 2013
    Reply to @David_Snowball: Hussman's funds (HSTRX, HSIEX, and HSGFX) were slightly up today (the new HSDVX was down).

But I still wouldn't want to own them.

I was loving RPHYX and RSIVX today too, even though they were just up a penny.
  • Reply to @JoeNoEskimo: Yeah, I'm trying to be thoughtful about HSTRX. It has a tendency to rise when other funds fall, which would be more useful if either the rise were dramatic or it managed to remain in the black. It's the nature of small positions: occasionally they exist because I'm curious about something.

David
  • ONLY ONE fund was up for me today, by an entire penny: DLFNX DoubleLine "Core" Bond Fund. http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?region=USA&t=DLFNX
  • BPLEX up .73 was only equity fund- heavy,heavy cash and shorting USA
  • The bond funds were up a penny, but the surprise was WGROX down over 2% while my other small caps were down a fraction over 1%. Then there is DODGX, down about 1.5%. Thought those guys were somewhat protective (oh, yeah, I forgot about 2008).
  • Reply to @Charles: FAIRX and PONDX for me. PONDX position is pretty small, but FAIRX is quite significant and I am in fact thinking of taking some profit.
  • Reply to @Charles:

Last year LLPFX's cap gain distribution was $4.245 per share, reinvesting at a NAV of $25.77.

I'd love to know what they exited, why, and how long they held it.