Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

2024 Tesla Cybertruck Has 845-HP, Cyberbeast Trim, Bulletproof Body

edited November 2023 in Off-Topic
”The Cybertruck has a claimed 11,000-pound towing capacity and a claimed 2500-pound payload. The composite bed is six feet long and four feet wide, and it can fit 4x8 pieces of plywood with the tailgate down.”

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a46000193/2024-tesla-cybertruck-revealed/

Sounds like a real ”handy-man‘s special” … Ideal for running back and forth to the hardware.

Comments

• Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous and butt ugly to boot? And where's the winch and ladder racks?
  • edited November 2023
    @Mark. Well, yes for the ugly. Were does one attach the snow blade? I can't link a Bloomberg video from today, but they interviewed a former employee who was involved with the model S development and all related. He stated that there are 2 million pending orders globally for the 'truck'.
  • edited December 2023
    This concept is right up there with the absurdity of the Cadillac "pickup". Will likely be bought by people with too much money who never did a bit of manual labor in their entire lives.

As far a "bulletproof", since when is stainless "bulletproof" ? Granted, it's harder than rolled steel, and maybe "bulletproof" against a 22 caliber ladies pistol, but that's about it.
  • Old_Joe said:

This concept is right up there with the absurdity of the Cadillac "pickup". Will likely be bought by people with too much money who never did a bit of manual labor in their entire lives.

Bingo!
  • From the article:
    The RWD model starts at $60,990, with the AWD ringing in at $79,990. The Cyberbeast caps things off with a $99,990 base price.
  • What is one to do with all that horsepower? The Bentley super car that crashed into the immigration barrier at Niagara Falls just before Thanksgiving was similarly over-powered. Have to wonder what some nut job might do with the Tesla truck. Crashing it would take an ugly beast out of circulation.

Just happened to catch the Musk interview with Sorkin live the other day. The F bombs were not blipped out. Frankly, I was revolted by has manner and behavior and agree with a friend of mine who just bought a BMW electric, saying that she and her husband would never buy a car from « that man. »
  • edited December 2023
    ”I was revolted by has manner and behavior and agree with a friend of mine who just bought a BMW electric, saying that she and her husband would never buy a car from « that man.”

One wonders if perhaps it’s all an act by Musk to appeal to a certain segment of the buying public. Somebody’s going to shuck up $100,000 a throw for that insanely overpowered thing.
  • He won't shut up. He cusses at advertisers. The people most inclined to buy his products don't like his shtick. And the folks that like his shtick aren't likely to buy his products. I do my best to avoid funds that include more than a token amount of his stuff.

YMMV.
  • I dunno who needs that stuff. Bulletproof... Drug Cartel kingpins?
  • edited December 2023
    Crash said:

I dunno who needs that stuff. Bulletproof... Drug Cartel kingpins?

Bonnie & Clyde might still be alive if they’d had something like that.:)

More seriously, it may have some military applications. But don’t ask me what.