Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Having terrible time searching with Google

edited May 2023 in Off-Topic
Google search is useful for certain types of data. Have used for years while logged out of my Google account. Ignored their enticements to stay logged in all the time. Recently however, if I’m not logged in to Google search results have turned to Spanish or Italian. So can’t read it them. I went through the trouble of logging in to my Google account today and it is indeed set to English. Yet, the minute I signed out, search results reverted back to Spanish. Insane.

Interesting, however, that when I logged in today to see what was happening Google thought I was logging in from Milan Italy. Possibly somebody’s hijacked the account. But unlikely. And changing the password should have solved the issue. But it didn’t. More likely, my anti,-virus VPN provider software has spoofed them into thinking I’m Italy, as it’s designed to hide your real location. Nutty for sure.

Yes, I use DuckGo for more sensitive searches and I like Bing too. But there are some financial tables Google displays better. Anybody else ever run into this? Be damned if I’ll stay logged in to Google all the time.

Comments

• I haven't run into this yet, but if your VPN provider software could somehow spoof Google into thinking you're from Australia or the UK the language issue would go away !
  • edited May 2023
    Yeah - Thanks @carew388.

Could also have to do with having enabled AI on Bing recently, Enjoying it, but it seemed to switch my default browser from Google to AI. I run Norton anti-virus and, other than deleting the app, I can’t turn off its VPN.

I’m logging out for a while. Just can’t take the political stuff that keeps creeping into the investment discussions. I have loads of good investment news to read now on FT / Barron’s / Bloomberg - without having to deal with all the right-wing interference.
  • +1 hank
  • @hank I agree 110% !!!

Yesterday a pop-up wanted me to change browser to AI . Hell no !
  • Try duck duck go just to see what the alternatives are.

But yeah, it's getting harder to get meaningful search results.

Just my opinion., but don't be logged into anything when you do search.
  • edited June 2023
    Spoke to an Apple rep after even my brokerage believed I was logging in from outside the U.S.and asked me to sign a waiver. Apple ran some checks. And it appears an ad-blocker I’ve been using sent the errant location information. The rep said ad-blockers do that sometimes (send out a false location) as a protective measure. But yikes! it’s becoming a jungle out there, Dreading what skilled hackers employing AI will be able to do soon.

BTW - With the ad-blocker off, the foreign language problem disappeared.
  • ...So, the "Good Guys" are making it their business to sabotage the protection instruments we use against the BAD Guys. Sheesh!!!! I have more colorful words to use in this case, but.......
  • @hank- can you please advise name of ad-blocker? I use several also, and it would be good to know.

Thanks / OJ
  • edited June 2023
    Update - Even with AdBlock switched off, I encountered a problem today logging-in to Fido who flagged me as being outside the U.S. To test this a bit, I switched off Starlink broadband and over to my Verizon cellular hotspot. Logging in that way did not prompt the same message. So the issue may well be with the internet provider. Fortunately, fiber optic will be coming to my area by the end of summer. I’ve had enough of Starlink after a 30% price hike over 2 years, slowing speeds and threats of data caps - though he’s backed down on that for now.
  • If you have not, clear all browser history from whatever browsers you use. There may something data related 'stuck' in history from previous use at a site trying to sneak into the operation. I clear browser history each day, at the very least.
  • edited June 2023
    catch22 said:

If you have not, clear all browser history from whatever browsers you use. There may something data related 'stuck' in history from previous use at a site trying to sneak into the operation. I clear browser history each day, at the very least.

Thanks @catch22. I use the DuckGo browser. Have it set as the default. And I click the torch symbol to clear it every time. Perhaps that’s not enough? Starlink has been a pain since day 1. I pretty much quit online betting on sports because the gaming sites read my location as “Chicago” rather than Michigan and blocked me. Also, I’m unable to watch Chicago MLB teams on my MLB subscription for the same reason. I called Starlink’s cuss support once on this, but got a “song & dance” from them.

Hey, just noticed a lot of stuff stored on Bing browser. Cleared it. I did install their new “AI” app shortly before problem surfaced. Possibly that was the issue. Whatever it is, even Apple’s technical staff couldn’t spot it. Time will tell. Hope the smoke misses your area @Catch. Was bad here from the fire near Grayling a few days ago. Better now.
  • @Catch 22 and @hank- Yes, I was wondering how you Michiganders were doing with the smoke. Having been through that ourselves a couple of years ago, we sure remember how crummy it is. 3M makes N95 masks typically used for construction work, which are easier to use than the medical type N95 because the construction types have built in check valves which allow easy breath exhaust.
  • edited June 2023
    Old_Joe said:

@Catch 22 and @hank- Yes, I was wondering how you Michiganders were doing with the smoke. Having been through that ourselves a couple of years ago, we sure remember how crummy it is. 3M makes N95 masks typically used for construction work, which are easier to use than the medical type N95 because the construction types have built in check valves which allow easy breath exhaust.

Thanks for the feedback OJ. We had nothing like what appears to have engulfed NYC for a couple days. Health aside, my heart goes out to folks who plunked down several $K for visits to the Big Apple (plane fare, theater tickets, possibly pre-paid rooms) and anticipated the trip with relish only to suffer while there along with the local NY residents or to have trips cancelled. Theaters and outdoor sports, of course, cancelled.

We had the worst smoky day I can ever remember on Tuesday. Looked like very heavy fog on the highways, although you could see the headlights of approaching cars well enough. That was partially from Canada, but more from a fire 50 miles to the East of us in the Grayling Michigan area. That is now contained. Sounds like we’ll get rain in a few days if we can wait that long. Like many, I live among some very dense woodlands.

Regards

• Hi @Old_Joe Had been hazy in mid-Michigan for several days; but not like NYC/East coast. Some haze again today (Friday). Viewing the lower peninsula as a human right hand, the smoke streams into different areas as the winds change. Mid-Michigan, north to south is supposed to have various amounts of smoke today. The wind is blowing from the north right now and I can smell smoke outside and the air is hazy/overcast. My understanding from the science folks is that the particulates in this smoke are more serious, as the sizes are 'micro', and can readily move into the lungs and into the blood stream. The Grayling, MI fire hank mentioned from several days ago burned several thousand acres, which is small; but was controlled rather fast. A tv report 2 days ago indicates that the source and person(s) is known (a prohibited camp fire) for this incident. The spokesperson implied that some form of prosecution would be pursued. He mentioned that civil penalties and fines could at the very least equal the cost of the operation by all parties involved to control the fire. It was suggested this could amount to several $100,000's. All manpower hours and equipment at cost with no attempt to profit above the actual costs. Other fines and penalties could apply, as the campfire was during a 'burn ban' period, which still exists.
    Someone is not having a nice day.
  • I have switched my default search engine to DuckDuckGo and it is working fine. I do have a query about the DDG browser that some of the members have mentioned here and elsewhere. I have used Firefox on my devices (iMac, iPad, iPhone) for as long as I can recall. Does the DDG browser support other browsers’ bookmarks; that is to say, could I easily and safely import my sizable collection into DDG? How about a password manager? I use Dashlane, which operates seamlessly with Firefox. I’m happy with my current setup, but concerned about security. Any info you may have gratefully accepted.
  • edited June 2023
    Thanks for weighing in Ben. I finally have been able to turn off VPN on my Norton anti-virus and it has stopped the issue for now. And I too have set DuckGo as the default browser. VPN is a smokescreen some protective software throws up to disguise your identity. It’s most important to have turned on when using public (unsafe) internet servers.

I am quite worried about password hacking now with AI out there. I fear that even the most sophisticated passwords will soon be vulnerable to being easily broken by AI. 2-factor authentication is a must, of course. As far as ChatGPT goes, I was disappointed after throwing a few softball questions at it. One I used was “Should I invest in BRK.B?” The answer was clearly composed in a series of 4 or 5 sentences, but quite unremarkable as far as any insight into the stock or investing goes. You could do much better putting the same question up on the board here.
  • I can only tell you that for at least ten years I've used both Firefox and DuckDuckGo together, along with a separate ad/tracker blocker, and had absolutely no security issues that I'm aware of. I didn't know that DDG has a separate browser, but I'm a firm believer in "if it works don't  f__k with it", so I'll just leave what is working fine alone.

• edited June 2023
    Related issue if anyone has suggestions.

Google seems to be tracking & storing every web-page I visit. Even with DuckGo the “default” browser, when I go into google or safari and click “History” all my recent searches come up. In addition, when I do a search with Bing (Microsoft) Google somehow sees and records that search. I deleted the Chrome browser app thinking it would help. Did not. When I tried to change the Google privacy settings it told me I would need to sign into my Google account to do that. They know I have an account because gmail is one email I sometimes use.

DuckGo if accessed directly for a search, does the trick. But as the “default browser” it doesn’t keep Google from recording my every move. I have to assume that all this tracking eventually gets sold somewhere. Really creepy. I’ll give firefox a try and see if that helps any. Do you recommend apps or websites from DuckGo and Firefox?

It’s gotten worse. Now when I pull up the firefox browser (just installed) Google comes up! Damn. Can’t seem to get rid of Google.

Kripes. It must be that if Apple has a provider as one of your email sources that provider has access to all your searches no matter what you do. To test it I pulled up AOL (another email provider) without logging in. And, yep, AOL also has stored all my recent searches.

I’ve set the firefox app to “strict” privacy which is supposed to prevent tracking, but Google somehow tracks firefox searches. As I’ve said, I am not signed in to Google.

FIREFOX FOCUS - Upgraded app seems to be working. I’ll continue to check to make sure. It apparently wipes itself when you close the browser.
  • Hi @hank
    Can't write regarding Duck or Apple browsers; but with Google and AOL which both use Chrome for a browser, ctrl and 'h' keys will bring up clear history. With Google, first you'll see 'clear browsing data' at left side. After selecting this, the next page will have choices of clear browsing, downloads and cookies. If these are not already check marked, you may do so now. THEN select 'clear data".
    For AOl, same almost, ctrl and 'h' keys. Then select 'clear footprints now', new window and then select 'clear footprints now a second time.
    At least a starting point for these two browsers, that should now be cleared.
  • edited June 2023
    Thanks @catch22. I’ll work on this advice first opportunity. Just home from a 8 mile bike ride. First warm day in awhile. Sorry everybody for the rant. Guess I’m behind the curveball on this internet security stuff. Been using DuckGo directly a long while for sensitive sites and it appears to have resulted in secure access when used that way. Haven’t used FireFox before today. But their updated version looks really impressive.

Stay safe everybody.
  • I used to swear by Firefox. But after installing it on my Apple laptop, THREE different times it happened that Firefox UPDATES erased all my bookmarks. THAT doesn't happen anymore. Once again, I suggest you at least take a look at BRAVE browser.
    https://brave.com/
    Check-out the drop-down menus, up top.
    It's supposedly got tracking and ad-blocking functions built-in.
    @hank

Take some pics and share them, next time you're out on the bike. :)
  • edited June 2023
    Thanks @Crash.

Brave is very highly rated from my recent reading. I think your warnings about Bing (Microsoft) were accurate. I’ve finally come around to deleting any apps or links to them.

Trying to compartmentalize now. Chrome for everyday searches. DuckGo for MFO and other sites I visit often. Firefox “Focus” only for the most sensitive sites related to banking, etc. BTW - DuckGo can be configured to save all your favorite sites and login information as well if you ask it to.

One thing about Firefox is there are a couple different versions. The “Focus” version is the one that does an automatic erase of all your login information every time you close it. For that reason you probably don’t want “Focus” as your default browser. Setting it as default will cause problems. Currently have the older version of Firefox set as default. Seems to be OK.

A work in progress for sure.
  • edited July 2023
    “2,887 trackers blocked so far” - Note from Firefox today.

Yikes. Only been using Firefox for 8-10 weeks. And reserve it only for financial sites where I actually transact business. Maybe 50 logins to date. Sounds like every time I log in to a financial site, about 50 different trackers try to tag along. Really scary.

Hard to say how many of those are malicious. Suspect some of my anti-virus apps and the like might follow.
  • To the extent possible I have absolutely no interaction with Google. Many years ago it was very obvious to me that Google was trying to pry into every aspect of my life that they could. No great secrets there, but also no damned business of Google or any other commercial information aggregator.
  • edited July 2023
    Old_Joe said:

To the extent possible I have absolutely no interaction with Google. Many years ago it was very obvious to me that Google was trying to pry into every aspect of my life that they could. No great secrets there, but also no damned business of Google or any other commercial information aggregator.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/the-sorry-state-of-search-an-ominous-sign-for-ai-era-4247264
  • edited July 2023
    I may have found the issue with all those trackers. I’ve been deleting “browsing history, saved sites, cookies” religiously (several times daily) on the Google search engine I use for non-financial sites. However, I just noticed the time-period was set by Google’s default to “last 2 hours”. That (time period) setting isn’t real apparent. You really have to look hard to uncover it. So, I have switched it to “all time.” Kind of deceptive, as you think you are deleting “ALL” saved data when in fact you are not. As a precation, I have changed user names & passwords for my most secure financial sites.

Yikes - if you don’t clear out your search history properly, you’re going to have hundreds of trackers following you around (or attempting to) - even if using some other browser. Makes you wonder what kind of trouble others, who may not have our degree of experience, diligence or sophistication may be in for when they go online.
  • Data breach at the rehab hosp. I was in for two weeks, back in '21, post-surg. OOPS. And they discovered it a YEAR later???? Crap. Now there's a $3k fraudulent charge on one of my two credit cards. Fighting it. In the meantime, my credit rating takes a hit. No worries, it's already quite fine, but even so... Plus, those slimeballs have virtually stolen a big chunk of my credit limit, until this gets fixed. And it ought not to take so long. It's been 11 days.

The online capabilities of THIEVES makes my blood boil.