Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Having terrible time searching with Google

2»

Comments

• Rather than start a new thread - - -

Does anyone use “virtual credit cards” for online purchases / subscriptions? If yes, what’s the best way to get started? Should you install a certain App that would work with all your cards? Or is there an online website one can trust? Or maybe go through your bank, or Apple Pay or Pay Pal?

I under the concept very well but feeling “lost” as to the way one should go about it.
  • edited August 2023
    @hank- I'd never heard the term “virtual credit cards” until a few days ago, in a post here on MFO. Let me see if I can find that...

Yes, rforno mentioned those in this post.

I'm curious about that, also.

Add: Taking Derf's suggestion (below), here's a good article about virtual credit cards. According to the article, unfortunately Chase, our card issuer, doesn't provide this option.

• Search : (virtual credit card) Interesting approach to using them for purchases. No need to supply your card # for buying "stuff" on line.
  • edited August 2023
    Thanks guys. Yes, rforno knows an awful lot about cyber security. Jogged my brain with some of his comments in that thread,

Good article from CNet. I’ll take a look at my cards’ websites to see if there’s a special link. Yes, especially good for any kind of subscription as I’ve found some will automatically renew even if you thought you turned that feature off. Often at a much higher rate.

I’ve used PayPal for years making purchase from unknown sellers. Never had a problem. Not up to speed yet on ApplePay - but it is becoming a very common method of paying.
  • "I’ve used PayPal for years making purchase from unknown sellers."

Yes, same here.
  • Good to know this option exists. Somewhere, I heard Navy FCU is THE largest CU in the world. I wonder if I could do it via them? I am right now awaiting the final resolution of a fraudulent charge I disputed. Took 3 long conversations and a LOT of waiting on HOLD before the 3rd guy actually did for me what was supposed to happen. (Head exploding!)
  • I have CapitalOne in my wallet. The company has repeatedly asked to to enable the virtual feature, but I have not because I don't fully understand it. Thanks for the above links and info; I'll try shifting my brain out of neutral.