Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How many different mutual funds and etfs do you own?

2»

Comments

• 8 bond mutual funds
    6 stock mutual funds
    1 long-short mutual fund
    1 gold miner mutual fund
    1 CEF
    1 MMF
    7 stocks

• Reply to @Hiyield007:

Hiyield007,

Is PONDX and PIMIX the same fund with PIMIX being institutional shares?

Also, what would be a good fund to compliment PONDX/PIMIX (assuming now that they are the same) to get foreign bond exposure?

Mona
  • Reply to @Mona: I put them side-by-side on the Schwab info site, and they certainly appear to be identical. The only difference, interestingly, is a slightly better "growth of $10000" since 2007, most likely due to the ER of 0.61 for PIMIX vs 0.91 for PONDX.
  • edited September 2012
    Reply to @Mona:

I think all the PIMCO Income Fund are the same holding with different ers and loads

if you go to this link http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/the-navigator/

after you go to that link you will see a form with the following that says

Type the name of a fund (minimum 6 letters): _________

type in PIMCO Income Fund in the box.

and you will see all the classes available.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe:
    "Is PONDX and PIMIX the same fund with PIMIX being institutional shares?"
    Yes, it is the same fund but different share classes. All share classes are listed (names, not tickers) if you look the following link:

http://financials.morningstar.com/fund/purchase-info.html?t=PIMIX&region=USA&culture=en-US
  • edited September 2012
    Reply to @Accipiter: Imho, Accipiter, there are more variables, though, that you can't isolate with a simple poll like this to be able to draw conclusions on the order of what you've stated above.

One category that will really muddy the relationship you're wanting to explore is the number of separate accounts in a household, which of course is influenced by the number of wage earners and work history. How many 401ks? IRAs? Any separate Roths vs. traditional? These numbers have a big influence on how many separate funds etc. anyone owns, particularly in 401k's and similar accounts, where the options are usually severely limited. Those variables can strongly influence the total number of positions, but aren't purely related to how active an investor someone is.
  • imageOwn 24 ETF's and 45 mutual funds, for many of Accipiters reasons but also for 2 other important reasons. Even great funds tank. One example is Janus Worldwide. By having multiple "great funds in a similiar class when one tanks or is doing poorly it is sold and the tax hit is much lower than otherwise. It is a great tax planning tool! Capital gains are lowered. Also in retirement it is much easier to sell one position fully and use its proceeds for living expenses than having to choose specific shares in large holdings. My portfolio is very substantial and many may think this is ludicrous but it works for me and I manage it myself with great tax savings.
  • edited September 2012
    I'm stunned.

How do you reconcile the expense ratio attendant with all these funds? I would fear that you have index-like exposure, but at elevated mutual fund/ETF fees.

That said, I'm glad it works for you...it's unique and your portfolio certainly reflects your user name!
  • Watch expense ratio carefully with most funds that have low low ER's. All are NTF or free trades as noted below. Many are Vanguard funds. I have done extensive research and my allocations based on Morningstar X-ray does not show index like exposure. I have several Wells Fargo accounts each with 100 free mutual fund/etf trades per year. Fidelity account has all ntf funds. Yes I watch the expenses very carefully
  • In the 9-24-12 edition of Forbes an article by William Baldwin "Easy Money from Fund Swaps " recommends a similiar but not the same method that I use to save oodles on taxes.
  • Thanks fundly, fascinating.

Here's link to the article you recommended:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/baldwin/2012/09/06/make-easy-money-from-fund-swaps/