Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

After 43 Years, Yankees and Dodgers Resume Their World Series Rivalry

edited October 21 in Off-Topic
My first memories of this rivalry date back to the 1950's (I was a Milwaukee Braves fan at the time).

After 43 Years

Comments

• edited October 21
    The Dodgers were arguably the best team in baseball all year. Strong across all positions. However, it appears their starting pitching has been devastated by injury the past few weeks. Interestingly, last night they started a reliever who hadn’t pitched more than 2-3 innings in any prior game this season. He lasted only 2 innings if memory serves. Didn’t keep count, but the Dodgers’ use of several pitchers in last night’s game brings to mind the old “Who’s on first?” comedy routine.

The Yankees were the best AL team the first half of the season. Slumped badly after the All Star break, but recovered in time to make the playoffs. Strong all around. But hitting is streaky. Judd is a great home run hitter and fierce competitor. But prone to slumps at the plate.

I don’t know what the odds-makers say. A toss-up ISTM. If I had to bet I’d go with LA as they begin at home. Should the Yankees win game 1, however, I’d make them favorite to take the series. With NBA season starting this week, I may not watch much of the World Series.

Sports betting? The similarities to investing are uncanny.
  • I have great childhood memories of following the Orioles back in the 60s and 70s. Our Rochester triple A Red Wings were their farm team for many years. I read the box scores of every game every day while eating breakfast. But I have to admit, I haven't watched a full game, World Series or otherwise, for decades. Likely won't be watching this one either. I think I got turned off by the players strike in the 80's and never went back.
  • @davfor: the interest in the ‘55 series pushed my father to buy our first TV. Even so, I doubt that I saw Sandy Amoros rob Yogi Berra of at least a two-run double by running down a fly ball deep down the left field line in game 7. Brooklyn won 2-0. More likely, someone sneaked a pocket radio into school to keep us informed of the score. All Series games in those days were played in the afternoon and in the conforming Fifties, no one cut school or got a parent to phone in a bogus sickness. See David Halberstsm’s “The Fifties” for a portrait of the decade that made the revolutions of the Sixties so shocking to most Americans.
  • edited October 21

Possibly of interest: Group led by David Rubenstein buys Orioles.

Price $1.725 Bil

Rubenstein is, of course, a long time commentator on Bloomberg TV.
  • Went to school in Catonsville. We all bled orange and black.
  • edited 5:54AM
    @BenWP: "More likely, someone sneaked a pocket radio into school to keep us informed of the score."

In the 1960 Series, sixth grade por moi, the principal played the radio broadcast of the whole ninth inning of Game 7 over the intercom, with the Mazeroski walkoff homer.
  • This should be a great series just because of the history of the two organizations. However for me I merely wish players stay on the teams they started with rather than which ever organization has the most money wins and/or gets the talent. I don't follow professional sport teams as much these days because of that but I can get excited about an underdog (See: MN Vikings). I also love seeing Rodgers, McCarthy and Mahomes lose anytime, any place, anywhere.
  • @Mark Your comment about the team with the most money, now applies to NCAA. Sad story indeed!
  • @Derf - correct
  • @Derf: no pocket radios in 1955, you are correct. Conflated memories in my old noodle. I do recall listening to Yankee broadcasts after bedtime on a radio in my room, starting about 1951, Mickey Mantle's rookie season. FWIIW, the first night game at Yankee Stadium was in 1946.