Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

“They’re eating the cats” Trump Rambles

The Guardian

I wasn’t happy with either’s overall performance. But Harris ISTM had more to loose as Trump’s a better known commodity among the electorate, I was left thinking Harris held up very well under the circumstances.

Comments

• edited September 11
    Neither directly answered all of the questions put to them. Trump answered NONE. He turned everything into an off-topic tangent. I saw the same PBS report he mentioned with all the Haitians in Springfield, Ohio. He repeated the absurd craziness about them eating pets. And people are ready to VOTE for him?

Crime might be down by some metrics. I look back at my hometown and general area. Crime is growing, an ever-increasing problem. Drugs. Guns. Shootings, murders, Gangs. Almost EVERY crime report in the news from back there involves perps with Hispanic names. But many are perfectly legally in the USA, from P.R. And they go back and forth from the USA to P.R. Of course, not all the crimes are done by those from P.R. Dominicanos and others are a growing slice of the population. I want to ask, WHY? Why are the crime reports exclusively about people with Hispanic names? It's basically a damn shame. What are mommy and daddy not teaching those kids, before they grow up to be criminals?

Law and Order, ya. And Uncle Orange is a felon, let's not forget. Harris did well, in comparison. But hardly anyone's vote was going to depend on that debate. When she gets wound-up, her voice gets whiny and irritating. But that's never going to affect my vote, ever.

And the microphones were supposed to be switched off when it was not his/her turn? FAIL. Trumpster hogged a lotta time that was not his.
  • edited September 11
    What a nut case... the cult following is amazing. Like Jim Jones and David Koresh, people are looking to follow someone....anyone and some take advantage of that. Now where did I put my American flag with Harris's picture on it? I bet it's with the bible, sneakers, trading cards and other items I purchased to support her. Heil Hit...er um Heil Trump LOL Oh shoot,,,, I think I left my pets outside... LMAO
  • Trump really upped his fear mongering regarding immigration. I can’t say I have ever attended one of his rallies, so maybe what he said last night is merely a repetition of his stump garbage .As I recall from my reading this is exactly what the Nazis did in regard to the Jews, playing to people’s basest instincts in order to demonize « the other. » Truly disgusting. I’m frightened because Trump was previously able to get the whack jobs into his administration who devised policies reflecting the wishes of the Boss. Were he to be elected this time, I believe the whack jobs will be ready to attempt a takeover of federal agencies immediately without the time lag that occurred in 2017 when there was no cogent plan for the transition. Trump himself is incapable of devising a takeover plan, but his followers are on the job already.
  • "Oh shoot,,,, I think I left my pets outside... LMAO" Beyond funny!
  • edited September 11
    “As I recall from my reading this is exactly what the Nazis did in regard to the Jews, playing to people’s basest instincts in order to demonize « the other. » Truly disgusting. “

@BenWP - I hope you’ve had an opportunity to view the film Cabaret with Liza Minelli. That’s essentially what it’s about. The play version is now running in NYC - but having watched this same production in London 2 or 3 years ago, I’m not too impressed with the staging. However, it was an absolute treat watching Alan Cumming playing the lead role when the play was performed at NYC’s Studio 54 theater 6-7 years ago. Actually, I highly recommend the audio track of Cumming’s performance. You won’t experience the same sense of desperation / outrage as watching, but the music is pretty damn good.
  • This was on the front page of Drudge Report this morning

• edited September 11
    Geez - This fits right in with the other guy’s (can’t recall his name) remarks about ”childless cat ladies …”

Now “catless” too! - Oh My!
  • It's all relative. In some parts of the world they do eat cats and dogs, in some parts they eat horses. If you lived in India you'd think it's barbaric to eat cows. I looked up "are ducks sacred anywhere?" It came back that in some Native American cultures they are.
  • I believe that newts are sacred, and I would never eat one.
  • Still, he was going for the shock value in THIS culture, here. Of course, it's foolishness. I love the picture!!!
  • THE picture would be PURRFECT with him out of it.
  • Fact checking by the moderators call out the continuous lies. It really made a big differences that got him rattled badly as the debate went on. His words were getting slurred. Someone suggested poor preparation and his debate team should be fired.
  • edited September 11
    I knew Muir was good. Lindsey Davis was excellent as well. Cool & collected. And articulate!

@WABC - I’m thinking something like image that might make a funny yard sign. As long as people don’t take it as pro-Trump. Will start looking.

Donald Trump Cat Photos Flood Internet
  • edited September 11
    Hi@hank
    In our state I won't place any signs on our property. Too many crazies who may choose to cause harm and/or damage. A sad fact, eh?
    The animal pics are well done, though.:)
  • catch22 said:

Hi@hank
    In our state I won't place any signs on our property. Too many crazies who may choose to cause harm and/or damage. A sad tact, eh?
    The animal pics are well done, though.:)

Good advice @catch 22. I did have some minor vandalism many years ago after putting a political sign out. Nothing major. But a sad commentary.
  • I agree with catch- these days with the MAGA crowd I'd be afraid of bullets, not vandalism. Some of those people are border-line unhinged.
  • The Moderators did let him run on. Should not have--- though his ranting ironically made Harris look better. The un-crazy one on the stage.
  • edited September 12
    A few years ago my neighbor and I took an Obama sign and put it in our very conservative neighbors yard late at night on our way home from the bar. The conservative neighbor was a friend and he eventually figured out it was us and we laughed about it. He moved away and I wonder if his son (was his daughter) might have changed his outlook on some things. After all these years there was still some juvenile behavior in us.
  • edited September 12
    I did put a Republican sign out a few years ago supporting a guy in the Republican primary I knew personally. No problems. Some of my Dem friends wondered why I did it. But the guy I supported got stomped in the primary by a MAGA guy who went on to win a seat in the state legislature.

Story doesn’t end there. The MAGA guy that won was later voted out of office after being arrested around 3 AM in Lansing in an incident involving a strip dancer and a firearm he either fired or brandished in a confrontation with her. Facing felony charges. (Good people these MAGA type.)

Neighborhood makes a big difference. Pretty tame here. I’m thinking now just a sign featuring cats / supporting cat ladies might be in good humor. Some of the MAGA people are so dumb it would go right over their head.
  • My Republican friend just began to tune-out after 15 minutes into the debate. Shut it off after 30 minutes. Disgusted, but can't go Dem. I have different reasons for eschewing both.
  • edited September 12
    d
  • edited September 12
    A penny for your thoughts @Mark.

:)
  • See your penny and raise a nickel!
  • "He's just throwing stuff against the wall, to see what might stick."

Well, that's certainly new. He's never done that before. /sarc
  • edited September 13
    Trump got his ass handed to him in the debate.
    From my recollection, Trump was fact-checked only three times
    (crime stats, killing newborns, Haitians eating pets).
    This man spews so many lies (some quite far-fetched) that even Pinnochio would blush!
    His camp complained about fact-checking by the ABC anchors and Trump suggested
    ABC should lose their broadcasting license due to their "disgraceful" behavior.
    What a whiny, pathetic little man when things don't go his way!
    I'm still perplexed as to how almost half the nation supports this loser.
  • edited September 13
    ”Trump got his ass handed to him in the debate ”

Agree somewhat. My feeling is Harris was extremely well coached. What first appeared avoidance of some issues, in hindsight looks like an intention to focus only on areas to her advantage, The stage presence was awesome - alternately staring trump down with incredulous glares and grinning / nearly laughing at some of his unsupported rash assertions. While it may look natural (because it’s supposed to) those are tough acts to pull off. Hats off to both her and those who helped her prep. Whatever else is said, Trump is an experienced showman. Holding your own with him on a stage is not easy. Many, like Marco Rubio in the debates leading up to the 2016 elections found out the hard way.
  • edited September 13
    Fact checking stopped his momentum on relentless lying. Soon he forgot his talking points and go off track by calling his opponent names. Noted the sentences gotten shorter and shorter. Instead of talking on his past accomplishments and future policies if elected, he went on personal attack and it went down hill 30 minutes into the debate.

Undoubtedly Harris’s team is well prepared for the debate. Don’t forget that Kamala Harris was the attorney general of California in 2010 and reelected in 2014. Someone who is highly trained as prosecuting attorney, a showman has no match as we witnessed in the debate.

The allegation of eating pets is nothing more than dog whistling of racism we seem so often from him and Roy Cohn.
  • KH baited him over and over, he took the bait every time, and she landed him flopping and flailing on the bank. Take him out of his pseudo-alpha-male comfy place, and he's a fish out of water.
  • edited September 13
    The comment about Trump rally attendees leaving early due to boredom really struck a nerve.
    The ex-president has an extreme fixation on the crowd size for his rallies.