Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Cruising the late, late night old western movies

Found a gem in Rio Bravo

My rifle, My pony and Me

Comments

• edited August 31
    Thanks @Mark. Yes, great movie clip. Dean Martin never sounded better.

My initial feed led to 10 or more country musicians back to Gene Autry. Who knew that he flew military aircraft during WWII? I’m not sure those same clips will surface for others.

Especially struck by the narrative skill of Lorne Greene (Ringo). If it doesn’t come up for others, here’s a another link to that song. What raw talent. The notes failed to mention that he was a skilled Shakespearean actor. Must have found Bonanza boring by contrast - but likely paid better. His hit recording of Desiderata made a strong impression on me as a teen - but sounds sterile & dated by today’s standards.
  • The 'Desiderata'. I received this writing on a beautiful high school graduation card.
    I still have that card.
  • Outlaw Josie Wales. Fort Apache. Two of my faves.

• edited September 29
    catch22 said:

The 'Desiderata'. I received this writing on a beautiful high school graduation card.
    I still have that card.

+1

I first read it in a high school lit class. Very moved by it. I have a framed copy on the wall at home and gifted one to a dear friend after her husband passed. She was very comforted by it. It was originally thought to be anonymous - but in more recent years has been credited to author Max Ehrmann.

From Wikipedia: Max Ehrmann of Terre Haute, Indiana started writing the work in 1921, but he did not assign it a title. He registered for his U.S. copyright in 1927 using the poem's first phrase as its title. The April 5, 1933 issue of Michigan Tradesman magazine published the full, original text on its cover, crediting Ehrmann as its author. In 1933, he distributed the poem in the form of a Christmas card, now officially titled "Desiderata."

For many years the work was thought to originate from 1692. Copies had been distributed at a church whose cornerstone bore that date, causing the confusion.

I pulled the thread up because I just purchased the entire first season (streaming rights) of West Wing for $14.99 at Amazon (on sale for $10 off). Owning is so much better than renting. View at your leisure. MLB is winding down. Will miss wagering a dollar or two on evening games. West Wing may fill the gap evenings until NBA season begins. Also, there will be some post-season evening MLB games in October. (Can’t stand to watch football, so that is not an option.)

Hey @catch22 - Is the “Motor City” going nuts over the Tigers? I’d expect so.

• Hi @hank I'm not really a baseball fan, but pleased to find the Detroit Tigers in post season. I have many relatives who are big Tiger fans, including my 99 year old Mom.
    Good for the cash flow in downtown Detroit that remains in a very large renaissance of renewal of a lot of the city. I'm glad to see this continue.
    You'll fully enjoy West Wing.
  • edited September 29
    Thanks Catch. I haven’t followed the Tigers. Watched just 2 games all season as I recall. Placing small wagers is more entertaining if you have no personal interest in either team. Yes - should be good for the city. Haven’t been there in many years but sounds like there is a real renaissance going on.

Take care.
  • @hank- be sure to let us know your opinion of West Wing.
  • Hi @)Old_Joe Have you two started watching West Wing?
  • Hi @catch22- Just finished the last three episodes last night. Without a doubt the very best television production that we've ever seen. Also I just finished the new book "What's Next", which is a behind-the scenes look at West Wing and the actors and crew who filmed it. Good book, also. Some really remarkable people were involved in that production.
  • edited September 30
    I watched the first 2 episodes of West Wing & part of the 3rd this evening. Excellent. Very fast paced. The kind of show you could watch a second time and discover a lot you missed once through. Enjoyed some of the subtle and not-so-subtle comedic effects. The script writers must have had a ball. / A lot on my table presently. Might be quite a while before I resume viewing.

A few observations

- Not ”theater” - but excellent ”TV drama”.

- Martin Sheen is perfect in the President’s role - unorthodox though he be.

- One hopes our government is in more stable hands than the chaotic bumblers portrayed in the first two episodes.

- I’m reminded of some of the human dynamics I witnessed in the workplace. But don’t remember personal insults being as easily overlooked or forgiven as they appear to be in the series thus far.

- A rich variety of personalities. Likely anyone watching will be reminded of someone they worked with or have dealt with personally.

- The gals are pretty. The evolving episode with the call girl is intriguing. I get the feeling there’s more there than meets the eye.

- Do they really drink Dewars White? I’d have expected better taste among that crowd.
  • @Old_Joe: What’s Next must be a pretty good book. At my local library there are 27 requests on 3 copies available.
  • Tigers are purring, Lions are roaring !!
  • Might I mention some stuff that's not an old Western? I just binge watched "Firefly." A series of TV episodes that aired on Fox a handful of years ago. My friend brought the DVDs when he arrived for a visit. It's set in outer space, but it's not so much a science fiction thing. It's sort of a Western in space. One adventure to the next. The dialogue between the characters carries the show. Witty, funny, sharp. One character is like a Wild Card. Ya never quite know what she might do.

Afterward, a full length movie was made, based on the series: "Serenity." Quite good indeed. Joss Wheadon was instrumental.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_in_0_q_firefly
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379786/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_6_nm_2_in_0_q_serenity