Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Nvidia “Leapfrogs” Apple in Value

edited June 5 in Other Investing
”The shares of the Santa Clara, California-based firm have rallied roughly 147% this year, adding about $1.8 trillion … On Wednesday, (NVDA) shares rose 5.2% to close at a record $1,224.40, pushing the market value to more than $3 trillion and overtaking Apple Inc. (AAPL) in the process.”

Excerpt from Bloomberg Media - June 5, 2024

Comments

• "Nvidia" derived from the Latin word "invidia" which means "envy"
  • The coming 1 for 10 stock split will likely push up its stock price. Got enough of it in my index funds.

• I predict NVIDA is going to crash hard very, very soon - like 90% crash overnight into NOTHINGNESS!! Sell while you can still profit from it!! :)

/ducks

• @rforno what's the basis of the prediction? I dont have a long position in NVDA but I wonder if there is a specific thing you are seeing or a generalized sense of anxiety (if so, the line is long;)
  • Devo said:

@rforno what's the basis of the prediction? I dont have a long position in NVDA but I wonder if there is a specific thing you are seeing or a generalized sense of anxiety (if so, the line is long;)

@Sven and I use the same crystal ball..... (se above)
  • I concur with @Devo’s sentiment on NVDA.
  • edited June 7
    The useful "shelf life" of any specific electronic/concept/hardware/software is relatively short. Just as the telephone eclipsed the telegraph, so much new stuff comes along so frequently and rapidly that it's foolish to regard any of this stuff as a long-term investment. The trick is to spot new good stuff early on, jump in, make your money, and get out.

Various concepts are already in the developmental stage that will likely supplant NVIDIA's present lock on AI stuff.
  • Per Jesse Felder

Over the past 32 trading days, NVDA has gained more than $1 trillion in market cap. To put that into some sort of perspective, the 6-week gain is greater than the total market cap of BRKA, which Warren Buffett has spent 6 decades in building.

While it sells for PE of 70 it's 5 year average is 68.

What happens when everyone who thinks they need NVDA chips has bought enough?

• That whooshing sound you'll hear will be the toilet flushing.
  • Books will be written about this adventure.
  • edited June 8
    It’s difficult for some others to understand why some of us don’t want to take advantage of an easy +300% annual return. Possibly some of us are nuts.
  • PRESSmUP said:

Books will be written about this adventure.

"Of the making of books there is no end."

• sma3 said:

There's always leveraged trades on GameStop....lol
  • Didn't Amazon drawdown like more than 85 percent? I knew of a colleague who went all in with INTC Intel in the 90s. Bought a nice summer home by the coast.

Diamond hands my friends diamond hands... besides stillers will let you know when to bail...and ya really think the money printer won't go into overdrive if the market gets whacked?

Maybe crazy not to jump in with both feet? Not me.
  • edited June 9
    rforno said:

sma3 said:

There's always leveraged trades on GameStop....lol
    Don’t overlook DraftKings either …:)

• OMG NVIDA TANKED to 120$/share! I called it the other day, I'm an investing *genius*! /sarc

(couldn't resist, folks...) :)
  • and ya really think the money printer won't go into overdrive if the market gets whacked?

Not the Fed as currently constituted. They act like they remember stagflation.
  • edited June 10
    rforno said:

OMG NVIDA TANKED to 120$/share! I called it the other day, I'm an investing *genius*! /sarc

(couldn't resist, folks...) :)

It’s nice that small mom & pop investors will now be able to afford it. :)

WCPGW?

• "WCPGW"

You guys keep pushing me over to DuckDuckGo with these damned abbreviations. Grrr!!
    :)
  • Old_Joe said:

"WCPGW"

You guys keep pushing me over to DuckDuckGo with these damned abbreviations. Grrr!!
    :)

I just made one up hoping it was an original …:)

• Well, apparently it ain't. :)
  • I just read that Apple has initiated a deal with OpenAI to incorporate lots of cool AI stuff into the Apple universe.

I just want to make clear for the record that I've been using my own personal artificial intelligence here on MFO for many years, and have no intention of utilizing any of that new Apple stuff in my already profound MFO postings and remarks.
  • what could possibly go wrong with that
  • Does anyone know if nvda provides financing to their customers? What are the terms of that financing? Do they do business with special purpose vehicles? Does anyone know when exactly they book a sale vs actual deliveries? Especially with SPVs under the assumption they might. Do they do SPVs?

To be clear I am an idiot and don't know anything about anything and these questions could be and likely are crazy talk.

Just thinking about things...
  • edited June 10

Does anyone know if nvda provides financing to their customers? What are the terms of that financing? Do they do business with special purpose vehicles? Does anyone know when exactly they book a sale vs actual deliveries? Especially with SPVs under the assumption they might. Do they do SPVs?..

Don’t know. Rumor is that Microsoft is a big customer. I doubt they would need financing. Probably floating on cash (without checking).

As for Nvidia … Somebody posted an article / photo the other day showing the CEO signing a woman’s bra. How much more out of control can this get?

• Hmmm...to clarify the question....how much of their products are sold if any to spv's and do they finance those purchases...how about Mr Softie... meaning Microsoft. anyone know?
  • Hmmm...to clarify the question....how much of their products are sold if any to spv's and do they finance those purchases...how about Mr Softie... meaning Microsoft. anyone know?

Nvidia ain't giving that info away. There is lots of speculation analysis on the internet if you google who buys Nvidia. It boils down to all the public names you have read about that are getting involved in AI.

Special purpose vehicles in this case probably boils down to whatever Musk is doing with the stuff. I remember seeing headlines recently that he had diverted an order from one of his companies to Tesla.

Super Micro blew up for a while. I don't think that ever carried over to Dell or HP. I don't think they're buying as much as the AI wannabes.

• @WABAC - The other way around. "Musk had redirected about 12,000 Nvidia H100 graphics processing units originally shipped to Tesla (TSLA) to two of his other companies, X and xAI."
  • Mark said:

@WABAC - The other way around. "Musk had redirected about 12,000 Nvidia H100 graphics processing units originally shipped to Tesla (TSLA) to two of his other companies, X and xAI."

Thanks for the help Mark. Much appreciated.
  • Mark said:

@WABAC - The other way around. "Musk had redirected about 12,000 Nvidia H100 graphics processing units originally shipped to Tesla (TSLA) to two of his other companies, X and xAI."

Talk about a conflict of interest and/or corporate malfeasance.... and yet he wants $50billion more salary from Tesla despite screwing them over. Yeah, good job, Melon, you cosplaying business jenius.