Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Nvidia “Leapfrogs” Apple in Value

2»

Comments

• I'll take who/what is CoreWeave for $500 please....and what is their relationship with NVDA really about...
  • and I'll do the daily double for "special purpose GPU financing vehicle for oh, say $1,000 please....
  • rforno said:

Mark said:

@WABAC - The other way around. "Musk had redirected about 12,000 Nvidia H100 graphics processing units originally shipped to Tesla (TSLA) to two of his other companies, X and xAI."

Talk about a conflict of interest and/or corporate malfeasance.... and yet he wants $50billion more salary from Tesla despite screwing them over. Yeah, good job, Melon, you cosplaying business jenius.
    Was wondering where to put this.
    “If Tesla is to retain Elon's attention and motivate him to continue to devote his time, energy, ambition and vision to deliver comparable results in the future, we must stand by our deal," she added.
  • edited June 10
    In think what @baseball_fan is asking is if there is a potential fraud involved in Nvidia's revenue recognition? I would venture to guess there is probably some creativity involved (let us say, no more than 5% of the revenue) but within the bounds of GAAP / SEC's acceptable thresholds. Any one that is worried about Nvidia's Rev Rec issues instead should look at its cash flows. If you want a professional opinion on Nvidia's Rev Rec, send @Stillers, the accounting auditor professional in this forum, a private message. When Nvidia is being fed the revenue, I do not think they will go out of their way to be creative with Rev Rec.

• @spot on as usual BaluBalu...thank you for summarizing my thoughts succinctly and the reply.
  • The only specifics I have read about NVDA financing is that are reportedly "selling" their processors to large Cloud Companies for Cloud time in the future

I assume they are booking the sales as revenue, even though no money changes hands
  • edited June 12
    Rev Rec rules require a Co to meet criteria before booking revenue. Google or ask ChatGPT for those rules. I am sure NVidia are meeting the criteria in booking the revenue from the Co that is providing them cloud services. I am not sure money needs to change hands for them to book revenue in this case.

Interestingly, once the criteria are met, the Co may not be allowed to delay booking the revenue even if it wants, say, to smooth out revenue from quarter to quarter.

If I do not respond to future posts about Rev Rec, pl do not assume I agree with any commentary in those posts.
  • Broadcom also announced a 10 for 1 stock split. It would be interesting to see how the stock price of the last 10 companies that have done stock splits has done over the next six months, 1 year, and two years - just to get a sense for how long the momentum carried in these situations.
  • BaluBalu said:

In think what @baseball_fan is asking is if there is a potential fraud involved in Nvidia's revenue recognition? I would venture to guess there is probably some creativity involved (let us say, no more than 5% of the revenue) but within the bounds of GAAP / SEC's acceptable thresholds. Any one that is worried about Nvidia's Rev Rec issues instead should look at its cash flows. If you want a professional opinion on Nvidia's Rev Rec, send @Stillers, the accounting auditor professional in this forum, a private message. When Nvidia is being fed the revenue, I do not think they will go out of their way to be creative with Rev Rec.

@BaluBalu, thanks for the vote of confidence but not my area of expertise so a PM to me would be an easy way to waste time!

This SA article though may help understanding the issue:
    https://seekingalpha.com/instablog/50662133-james-foord/5924335-nvda-fraud-revenue-misrepresentation-and-insider-selling
  • edited June 15
    @stillers,

While I am not directly invested in the AI theme, I would appreciate you telling us when you think it may be time to get off the semi-conductor or Nvidia trade train (or when you sell). I know from your posts that you are directly invested in the AI theme and so your judgement is as good as any for me.

(I previously posted: If I do not respond to future posts about Rev Rec, pl do not assume I agree with any commentary in those posts. I have no comment on the Seeking Alpha article.)
  • BaluBalu said:

@stillers,

While I am not directly invested in the AI theme, I would appreciate you telling us when you think it may be time to get off the semi-conductor or Nvidia trade train (or when you sell). I know from your posts that you are directly invested in the AI theme and so your judgement is as good as any for me.

(I previously posted: If I do not respond to future posts about Rev Rec, pl do not assume I agree with any commentary in those posts. I have no comment on the Seeking Alpha article.)

Yeah, the proverbial $64K question.

Macro: The history of AI goes back to the 1950's. I posted a link this year detailing the phases. The current AI phase is expected by some of the analysts I follow to have another five years of growth in it. So there's that.

Micro: As I've posted a few previous times...My greatest exposure to AI is via FSELX though I certainly get plenty more via other OEFs. I've owned FSELX since near its inception. I routinely shave its allocation when it exceeds a given % of our Market Portfolio, and usually roll the proceeds to broader tech funds. That time has come again and I will likely be lightening up this week on FSELX to that extent, put may park the proceeds this time in FZDXX (per the following notion). I am also considering lightening up this week on some other OEFs with heavy tech/AI allocations. The FSELX sale is pre-programmed, so to speak, while the latter sales, if they happen, will be more of a gut feeling that I may be getting a wee bit greedy here. I will post any sales in this regard on the B/S/W thread. But no plans to significantly alter my tech/AI allocation...yet.