Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mass Shootings

edited April 2023 in Off-Topic
The most recent one 100 miles north in Louisville. Another recent one 100 miles south in Nashville. The statistics for mass shootings over the past decade/decades is staggering. They seem to be increasing at an alarming rate. And the youngsters wonders why so many old timers like myself remember the 1950s with such affection. Zero mass shootings. The first I can recall was the guy in the tower in the 1960s - Speck. I am sure we all have our opinions on the root cause in the escalation of mass shootings. I am also sure that would only lead to a heated and contentious debate.

Comments

• "Monday morning’s shooting in Kentucky, which left five people dead including the suspected assailant, brought the number of shooting victims in 2023 mass shootings to 209, according to the Gun Violence Archive, which started tracking gun violence data in 2013 and documents shootings in which at least four people were killed or injured, not including the shooter.

There have so far been 146 mass shootings nationwide this year, surpassing the 130 shootings by this point in 2022 that killed 145 people, as well as the 136 mass shootings resulting in 165 deaths at this time in 2021, according to the GVA."
  • Without any speculation as to what might be driving this murderous escalation, at the very least it would seem reasonable to remove personal assault weapons from the general population.

I suspect that a complex interaction of many elements is causing our current social environment to be radically different from the 1950s. I am not sanguine that the United States as we have known it is going to be salvageable in the remainder of my lifetime.

• edited April 2023
    Old_Joe said:

Without any speculation as to what might be driving this murderous escalation, at the very least it would seem reasonable to remove personal assault weapons from the general population.

I suspect that a complex interaction of many elements is causing our current social environment to be radically different from the 1950s. I am not sanguine that the United States as we have known it is going to be salvageable in the remainder of my lifetime.

+1

I am in favor of some sort of gun control. But doubt it would do any good. Doesn’t California have one of the strictest gun control laws in the country. Back in the days in the rural south teenagers came to high school in their pick up trucks and their hunting rifles in their gun racks. Yet there were never any school shootings. Firearms were prevalent, Society has changed over the years. Everyone has their reasons - the breakdown of dual family households, the decline of religion, drugs, social media, and the list goes in.

• edited April 2023
    NPR: The AR-15 style rifle used in the Louisville shooting was bought legally

From a different perspective: Those in favor of allowing anyone and everyone to possess AR-15 or equivalent type assault weapons argue that it's a good idea because it allows people to "defend themselves against anyone threatening them".

Virtually all mass shooting deaths involve these types of assault weapons. I am not aware of one single incident where such a killer was deterred from a mass assault by a private citizen armed with an assault weapon. Not one.
  • Howdy folks,

I'm in the camp of banning assault weapons, high capacity magazines and silencers. It will never happen via the legislative route so that leaves referendum. Start a petition.

Oh, and I'm hardly a snowflake. I believe in the 2nd Amendment but I don't believe in stupid.

S/Sgt Rono, USMC

• edited April 2023
    "I believe in the 2nd Amendment but I don't believe in stupid."

And there you have it folks. About as simple as it gets.
  • npr historians:

It was in response to the concerns coming out of the Virginia ratification convention for the Constitution, led by Patrick Henry and George Mason, that a militia that was controlled solely by the federal government would not be there to protect the slave owners from an enslaved uprising. And ... James Madison crafted that language in order to mollify the concerns coming out of Virginia and the anti-Federalists, that they would still have full control over their state militias — and those militias were used in order to quell slave revolts. ... The Second Amendment really provided the cover, the assurances that Patrick Henry and George Mason needed, that the militias would not be controlled by the federal government, but that they would be controlled by the states and at the beck and call of the states to be able to put down these uprisings.

else we turn into haiti !!
  • The right to bear arms came out of a specific historical context as @davidrmoran’s post clearly shows. The Originalists would have us believe that the reference to militias in the Second Amendment does not inform our interpretation of the text, as poorly written as it was. No clear thinking person could believe the founders endorsed giving everyone a firearm with which to mow down other citizens.
  • No clear thinking person could believe the founders endorsed giving everyone an automatic firing weapon which no one had even envisioned at that time with which to mow down other citizens.
  • edited May 2023
    This is definitely worth reading on the gun subject:
    https://politico.com/news/magazine/2023/04/23/surprising-geography-of-gun-violence-00092413
    It's gotten to the point where when someone asks me "Did you hear about the shooting?," I answer "Which one?"
  • Tom was mentally ill.
    Dick was full of rage.
    Harry wanted fame.
    Sally, Linda, Maryanne, Michael, John, David, Pat and many more, well, they died.
    Gun lovers and politicians are praying for them.
    Everyone else is disgusted and afraid.
  • US is now averaging one mass shooting per week !

This morning Governor Abbott blames mental health as the root cause for the shooting in Allen, TX on Saturday; even though mental health may not have any connection to it in this case and Abbott knows it.

• @Sven - You might be a little low on your statement depending upon how you define mass shooting.

"The United States has faced at least 190 mass shootings so far this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive. There have been more mass shootings than days in 2023.

Mass shootings are defined as an incident in which four or more victims are shot or killed, according to the archive."

ABC News

BBC News

NY Times