Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bloomberg Wall Street Week

Comments

• 31 March, '23:
  • edited April 2023
    Lori Calvasina is sharp, I think. I'm always glad when she's on the show. At the very end, the snippet re: the now former Saudi bank president is illuminating. Who wants to hear actual TRUTH? Not the ones who are your bosses!
  • edited April 2023
    April 7, 2023:

Banks, private capital, real estate. Summers on collecting arrears from the wealthy.
  • 14 April, 2023.

• edited April 2023
    21 April, 2023: Mid-show, we are re-introduced to a new batch of "elves," stealing a page from uncle Louis Rukeyser. At the moment, they predict, on average, that the SP500 will end 2023 at 4,025.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2023-04-22/wall-street-week-full-show-04-21-2023
  • 28 April, 2023:
  • edited April 2023
    BREAKING NEWS … Larry Summers predicts recession sometime in the next year (“70% probability”).

• hank said:

BREAKING NEWS … Larry Summers predicts recession sometime in the next year (“70% probability”).

I'm shocked, shocked! :-)
  • edited May 2023
    05/05/2023:

Lee and Subramanian are good. I like it when they're on.
  • Where was Larry Summers this week?
    I don't recall watching an episode of the "new" Wall St. Week where he was not a guest.
  • Where was Larry Summers this week?
    I don't recall watching an episode of the "new" Wall St. Week where he was not a guest.

Yes, I noticed that, too. ..... (???)
  • Apparently, Larry Summers IS gone. And no mention.
  • edited May 2023
    Crash said:

Apparently, Larry Summers IS gone.

How can you tell?

BTW - Liz looks nice in leather … :)
  • edited May 2023
    hank said:

Crash said:

Apparently, Larry Summers IS gone.

How can you tell?

BTW - Liz looks nice in leather … :)
    I can't tell for sure. But this is 2 weeks gone. And there's no mention of him taking a break, or that he will be back. You know, the boilerplate words: "So-and-so is out today..."

Liz is hot. Did you watch "Wealthtrack" yet? Savita Subramanian. Engaging and smart, too. She was massaging my Confirmation Bias bone, recommending commodities and energy, at the end. ( my PRNEX and NHYDY. Also, ET--- a midstream LP oil/gas outfit.)
    Side note: I've come across some negative remarks about dealing with the K-1 Tax Form. Relying on my tax preparer, this was my first year with the K-1. She handled it as a matter of routine. Not a wrinkle. A breeze. The only thing is, you can't file early.
  • edited May 2023
    It’s very interesting that nothing was said about Summers’ absence. Possibly he’s traveling outside the country or on a vacation. But very puzzling indeed. More likely he’ll join Carlson & Lemon as recent TV cast-offs. I can’t imagine having Summers for a Prof in college and sitting through hours and hours of his lectures.

I rarely draw anything decisive about the investment climate from this show. Like a lot of financial TV, the tenor of the program seems to follow whatever course the markets took that week. If markets were positive guests tend to focus on “opportunities” for investment. If they were downbeat as this week, caution becomes the buzzword. Note the mention this week about hedging risk - without really delving into how to hedge.
  • Mr. Summers is probably a very busy guy.
    Maybe he will now become an occasional guest instead of a weekly "very special guest?"
  • giggle. i would not miss him.
  • edited May 2023
    19 May, 2022.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2023-05-20/wall-street-week-full-show-05-19-2023

GULP! The national debt is now up to 97% of GDP!? (Remember when the figure was tagged as GNP? So, what's the difference, and why the change?)
  • 26 may, 2023.
  • Calvasina, Tett. Also, a conversation on Priv. Equity. Not my cup of meat. Krugman on debt ceiling.
  • edited June 2023
  • And that A.I. stuff gives me the creeps.
  • Crash said:
    Seems like he was instructed to speed up his speed up his speech.
  • Mona said:

Crash said:
    Seems like he was instructed to speed up his speed up his speech.
    I noticed the same thing.
  • edited June 2023
    09 June, 2023:
  • edited June 2023
    Looking for direction? Plenty of ambiguity from guest #1 (Lisa Erickson / U.S. Bank):

“We’re, Ah, what we call a skeptical participant in the U.S. market, really, with a neutral position on U.S. equities. … You’ve got a conflicting set of signals going on as far as what may happen with the stock market. … So are we in a new bull market? We think it still remains to be seen.”

Erickson later on recommends some specific income producing stocks (reinsurance) & bonds (non-agency backed mortgages).

Always enjoy hearing Ray Dalio (midway through program). Spoke in generalities about U.S. China relations. You’d be hard pressed to take away specific stock recommendations. But Dalio’s a strong believer in the coming AI revolution.
  • edited June 2023
    16 June, 2023.

Not my cup of meat, this week. Although I will always stop to listen to Sonal Desai. Tracey Alloway is no slouch, either. They were re-hashing the Fed Statement from Jay Powell.
    David Weston appeared, previously RECORDED. Romaine Bostick hosted.