Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What are you folks adding buying?

edited August 2018 in Fund Discussions
Have some $$ coming in today from matured bonds... Likely add Brk.b and Sp500 or Qqqq Another friend told me a great biotech stocks MNK (or Preferred MNK stocks_will take a look). Probably over wt in bonds in private brokerage acct. Still 80/20 distribution in Tsp.
Anyone buying undervalued Em which took a beating due to turkey... Sounds like a recession coming due to Turmoils in em... Folks maybe running away from China also. Thx for any suggestions

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/asian-shares-hit-one-low-020426223.html

Comments

• Hi @johnN: Currently, I'm building cash as my mutual funds make distribution. My next CD ladder buy does not take place until December. From my perspective stocks are for the most part fully valued along with bonds as well. I need a good pull back into correction territory for me to budge. And, although I have emerging markets in recession as EEM is now down 20%+ the strong US Dollar keeps me from making that play along with buying more in my commodity strategy fund. So, for now it is build cash as I'm thinking stocks will be a better buy as we approach mid term elections.

• @johnN MNK? And what preferred stock?

• fwiw saying I added another slug of POGRX in my Roth IRA on yesterday's dip.
  • @MFO Members: Considering repurchase of CTL and adding to ALLY-A position.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @johnN
    Why did your friend sugguest MNK? This is a pharma company one would be buying/selling involved with the British Pound, too.
    Now if your friend purchased this on April 30 of this year, they have a great return so far.
    If I had purchased on April 30, I'd be taking the money and running....right now.
    MNK looks like a traders paradise to me.
    NOTE: perhaps there is a special news.........you'd better check first.

Here is MNK versus plain jane pharma etf.
  • @Ted for a little “higher on the risk spectrum” floating rate preferred (actually a note...it’s debt, not a preferred stock, so no K-1 issues to deal with) to add to something like ALLY-A, maybe look at NSS (NuStar Logistics 7.625% fixed-to-floating subordinated note). It’s yielding approx 9%. Holding about 2% position and not looking to add, but would if it was smaller or I didn’t own it.
  • Been adding to FISCX and two balanced funds ABALX and FBALX which I recently purchased from proceeds of my sale of RHS. I was a bit heavy on equity portion of portfolios
  • edited August 2018
    Old_Skeet currently been building cash in one of my money market funds (GBAXX) with all my mutual fund distributions. Another Morningstar quirk as at the time of this post I checked to see if I could pull GBAXX's fund report at Morningstar ... You guessed it ... the fund report would not pull. And, I gave it three chances to load.

An update. As of 7:12 pm EST the Morningstar report on GBAXX still will not load.
  • @Graust: Afraid your confused, K-1's are tax forms associated with private equity firms such as KKR and BX , not preferred stocks, and for the record ALLY-A is a preferred trust security. A trust-preferred security is a security possessing characteristics of both equity and debt. A company creates trust-preferred securities by creating a trust, issuing debt to it, and then having it issue preferred stock to investors. Trust-preferred securities are generally issued by bank holding companies. Thanks for the suggestion on NSS, I'll look at it
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted - just one example:

"The new preferred from ARES is non-cumulative and redeemable in 5 years which is typical for preferred issues. What is not typical is that these shares will generate a K-1 at tax time instead of the more typical 1099. This is because ARES is a limited partnership. We are aware that many investors shy away from issues that generate K-1’s and if you are one of those people this is not the issue for you."

https://www.dividendinvestor.com/limited-partnership-ares-management-sells-a-preferred-issue/
  • Bought some PRWCX, PRGTX, PRMTX for Roth
  • Bought some PRMTX at E-Trade. Fund was closed at Fidelity and Schwab.
  • @Mark: I guess your never to old to learn new tricks. Thanks for the info on Ares Management, L.P., 7.00% Series A Non-Cumulative Preferred Units. That' a new one on me. As you might know I own KKR, BX, APO limited partnerships that generate K-1's but I let my tax man worry about the forms.
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • Sold CCAPX two weeks ago. I no longer think Ryan Caldwell's allocation techniques fit my style. Keeping RPGAX and BRUFX. Used a part of that cash to initiate a position in the New Germany Fund (GF) when the discount widened as the Turkish lira crisis hit. Who's to say the crisis is over? Asian markets are still moving down, but my hope is that Europe will stabilize.
  • @Ted - yeah I ran across them (k-1's on preferred's) a year or so ago and they surprised me a bit. TurboTax handles mine with just a minute or 2 of my time.
  • One more aside on K-1s....preferred stocks of K-1 issuing companies, could sometimes have higher amounts of UBTI (only need to worry if held in a tax-advantaged account) than its common share cousin. This is just a generality, and therefore not always the case. So just something to be aware of.

And I just learned this, this year.....anywho, back to adding/buying.

Added to the growth sleeve (even though growth has outperformed for a ridiculously long time)...such things as FINX (financial tech), SKYY (the “cloud”), ARKK (tech, high tech products, and life science tech), PSCH (small cap health), and some of the healthcare service and equipment ETFs. Would love to buy more AMZN but there’s no stopping it’s upward march.
  • edited August 2018
    Thinking about AMZN apple, or Tesla previoulsy ...too expensive. Friend is a light trader and he likes agressive stocks he gets in and out every 3-6 months depedent on the 3 months moving average, and he has stop lost also for MNK....probably will not touch MNK but maybe safer staying w/ QQQQ and BRK.B since I know these vehicles well.
  • I added Boeing yesterday and it's 4% up today.
  • Sold some DGRW and DSENX today, time to look ahead and rebalance a little into more cash, maybe some bond things
  • @sea- Stand by for a phone call from the SEC asking about insider trading!
    :)
  • Tiny bites, adding monthly to PRIDX. I did well to buy-in when I did, though it's down just a bit right now, for 2018 so far. Uncle Donald!!! :(
  • Added more BRKb before WB considered buying back their own shares.
  • edited August 2018
    Just me. But I don’t think this is a good time to be buying anything you don’t already own (unless you’re still working and contributing regularily).

Admittedly, this comes from someone who’s on the conservative side. But there’s just too many “balls in motion” all at once here to give me any comfort. We’ve got some serious investigations going on, increasingly bitter political strife, deficits made worse by the tax cuts, a trade war, a Federal Reserve raising rates, legitimate concerns over valuations - and we haven’t had a really nasty recession / market correction in over a decade. Why would any of this make you optimistic?

I’m not recommending folks sell what they already own or that they stop contributing to their tax deferred plans. But the question from JohnN presumes, I think, that this may be a good time to do some tactical / strategic buying - that you might not normally do. Find me as asset class (except for gold) that’s down 25% or more over the past year and I’ll take a good hard look at it.
  • @Old_Joe Only if I had added a significant amount--wish I did.
  • Just bought MGGPX and JSMVX, may have been ill-timed. :-)
  • @hank Emerging markets, as measured by EEM, down about 20% since their high in January... so just 5% more to go.
  • @hank, concur with your view on the market condition and the political turmoil. Opportunities with 25% discount are difficult to come by unless US enters recession now. Thus I continue to watch to find better entry points.
  • @hank and @Sven- I'm in the corner with you guys.
  • edited August 2018
    Still have 12-15 yrs ahead before retirement probably can afford another recession or Two... Full speed ahead I guess .. buy equities bonds and stocks like previously
  • @hank and @Sven- I'm in the corner with you guys.
    @hank, @Sven, @Old_Joe, hopefully you are in a rectangular room, so there should be one more corner left for me. Maybe buying now will end ok, but the odds are against it.