Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Your Worst Products - OT

edited August 2018 in Off-Topic
I know it's OT, but when I'm shopping, often for something electronic, I am amazed at how badly reviewed some products are. Maybe I'm getting old and curmudgeonly, but it seems some kinds of products fail all the time or fail enough to infuriate consumers. On top of that others have terrible customer service and shoddy warranties. Others seem downright dangerous. I keep reading these reviews where someone mentioned an electronic device caught on fire. For instance, I was trying to find a backup battery for my modem and a medical alert system for a relative, and both seem replete with bad reviews. Both of those products especially a medical alert system seem like important enough products to people's lives you figure some company would make a really good reliable and affordable one, but I don't see that at all. Or is it just the age we live in where everyone is complaining online? Is there any one product that drives you nuts and you've never bought a good one that lasted for a long time? How often do you buy something that just breaks? Or did you ever have something catch on fire?

Comments

• edited August 2018
    So I'm an electronics engineer by profession (then I went to grad school and effed up my life).

First, let me say people will often voice a review when they have had a problem with it. Someone who really loves the product might also do it. For most others, they have other things to do than review.

What I do is read the top 5 bad and top 5 good reviews to guage if the person knows WTF he is talking about. Some 5* reviews are like "the product looks so cool. A++". That's a worthless endorsement. Some 1* reviews are not about how the product is at all. They simply say something like "Horrible customer service. Stay away!". Not very helpful other than you might begin to suspect issues in the company back office. While it is easy to be "social" people seldom want to say "thank you" but will always look to "curse" you.

Regarding, how many times do things just break. They tend to be the "heavy" items. Refrigerator, HVAC, Microwave. Things that you NEED. Otherwise it is a subjective issue. When your fridge breaks down or microwave breaks down, they no longer try to fix it. They will simply replace the circuit board in its entirety either because diagnosis is not worth it, or it costs them next to nothing (though they charge you and arm and a leg when you purchase it), and more often than not, they have no freakin' clue.

You would think a medical device whose malfunction can be catastrophic would have better quality control. Then again, electronics these days is sort of monolithic. Doubt how much quality control is done on each of the 200 chips on a circuit board. They probably just do QC on the board itself. In the olden days each component had to be quality tested. Things lasted "forever". My MIL owns a General Electric Fridge. It went by ship from Philadelphia to England in 1965 after being in use for 2 years. Then it came again (I dunno whether by plane or ship) back to the states in 1995. It still works.

Remember, if things don't go bad, you will never need to buy again. That warranty you see on the back of your device - if it lasts longer than that, count your blessings. I stopped buying extended warranties long time back figured it was not worth it and given I rediscovered what I learnt during my undergrad and can fix most things that go bad from my microwave to my wireless router. One thing I do is buy Costco always which doubles your manufacturer warranty.

PS - My Nick is an honest admission. When my friends were learning to do bullshit (i.e., getting MBAs and practicing it, i.e. playing Golf) I returned to my hobby of buying, fixing, selling Vintage audio. It used to be my escape for a decade. Then after I got a bad electric shock (forgot to discharge a humongous capacitor before touching), my wife laid down the law. So now I fix laptops.

PPS - Never overpay for Electronics and you will not go wrong. Learn to live without them when you can and you will never overpay. While it is hard to admit, ask yourself whether you NEED something or WANT something and you will never be upset when electronics goes bad.

PPPPPPPS - Dust. Be Anal about Dust. Dust = Heat. Clean. Then electronics will last so long, you will be upset you can't simply buy new because its against your religion to throw something that still works.
  • That GE fridge has a carbon footprint like no other fridge in history.
    And ongoing --- a new one will drop her electric bill enormously.

The rest of your points: it depends. Some things are well-made and tightly QCed these days. Audio included. And do you recall how often you had to fix cars in the 1970s? Compared with today? Cleaner emissions aside.

Roger about dust, for sure.
  • edited August 2018
    Frankly I don't know anything about the carbon footprint of the GE fridge. It's a smaller one-door fridge and doesn't actually consume too much electricity compared to regular fridge. The fact that it has not even been repaired speaks for itself - people in the olden days may not have known about global warming, but they had a work ethic. They built stuff to last. They put out the best product they could at the price point. TODAY that's untrue, and then VW lies about its carbon emissions. THAT was my point. Regardless of the fact, car electronics takes a beating by definition.

You paid good money for something in olden days, then it WAS good. It was built to last. That's how companies made their reputation. Who looked for manufacturer warranty when you purchased anything? Today they SELL you extended warranty. Why? Today things are built to fail. Reputation? Who gives a flying f***? THAT is my point.
  • A question about dust. I've seen it said a number of places that blowing out electronic devices, for example the circuit boards in a large desktop computer, can cause damage due to a static charge on the air stream. (The air stream would have been generated by using a vacuum cleaner's air output.)

On the other hand, a dust buildup is certainly going to increase the heating on the boards, and that surely isn't good.

Any thoughts? How about canned compressed air?
  • In my experience the products we buy don't fail often. I've never been disappointed with the many Apple and Honda products we have bought. OTOH, a GE microwave has let us down and two Lennox air conditioners did not last 10 years. A came-with-the-house GE conventional washing machine needs frequent service, and two repair guys have told me never to buy a new front-loader machine because of bad electronics. I have received as gifts an Alexa and Amazon Firestick; they work, but I didn't need them. All of the Amazon Basic products I've bought work fine. I gave my wife a FitBit that she could never get on her wrist, so it was useless. Our AT&T UVerse is quirky and sometimes leaves us with no TV; this is partly our remote location that puts us at the end of the effective range from the main box. The TV remotes have failed, but were replaced free. We have no other providers save the dish companies; you don't want to go through a lower Michigan winter with a dish antenna.

I can't stand stuff that isn't working well, so I know what products are bad. I have hot-rodded cars, modified computers, done plumbing, electrical, etc. I'm not afraid to take things apart and I can usually fix them. I've had success ordering electrical, plumbing, appliance and automotive parts online; there is just an amazing amount of DIY info that has made my life easier. I had never heard of an idle air control valve before buying an old Nissan 300ZX for a retirement project, but I have learned to service that part and lots more, all due to the generosity of an active online community.
  • edited August 2018
    @Old_Joe you are right. You can cause damage to electronics by vacuum cleaner or blowing air through compressed air, if the "power" on the suction or the blow is too high. However this is increasingly less of a problem since more and more of the ICs are fabricated onto the board and fewer and fewer "soldered" if you know what I mean. The damage was caused by contacts "ripping" and then current "jumping", etc.

Before you clean make sure you wait for item to cool down. If you see a wad of dust not coming out easily don't blow harder. I get all kinds of crap on what I fix. One time I actually washed a motherboard with water and let it dry for 3 days then cleaned it with 95% alchohol. It probably was used in a desert had so much gunk on it.

Prevention, then Maintenance, and hopefully no need to cure. It takes a little effort. For example your amplifier. Cover the vents when not in use. NOW, you need to make sure you uncover prior to use as well or you will cause it to heat up. Less dust, less clean up, less chance of messing up. Just an example.

You also have to know how to USE a device sometimes. You blast a speaker you will damage it. You have to know what you are doing. Or you open the back of an amplifier, dust springs into your nose, then you sneeze snot onto the circuit board you cannot see (sorry for the graphic image of you doing that). S*** happens.

Basically just like for everything else in life, you have to know what you are doing and what you don't you will suck at it. I'm good with Electronics. Some people are good at Golf. Some people are good at buying Stocks AND Selling them at right time. Then some people are good at posting links to every single article on MFO.

PS - Sunday Mornings are "Do Not Disturb" day for me. My wife goes to pray. I don't, since I am beyond help. I do things like pay my bills, hack into stuff, fix stuff, etc. I know someone who takes apart his bike every freakin' weekend and puts it back. My point - don't worry if your Electronics going bad. Other things in your life are not because you care about them and so take care about them. Those things Yours Truly pays for out his wazoo.

PPS - You didn't ask, but the number one complaint I hear from people is about their Wireless Routers dropping connections over time. It's dust and heat. Simple remedy is to keep the router face down with vents up or vertical if you have a stand. NOW, this means more dust so you have clean often, BUT it also means better heat dissipation. My WirelessN Router is 12 years old (purchased used for $20) and it still works like a champ (there is really no need to buy a wifi router faster than your incoming MBPS and pay a fortune doing it). I'm not trying to boast, just stating a fact.
  • @Old_Joe: Are you sure you're not full of hot air?! Just kidding. Cleaning of refrigerator will help with the cooling & electric consumption. That reminds me , past time for a good vacuuming of the frig.
    Enjoy the weekend, Derf
  • edited August 2018
    Most stuff is pretty decent nowadays. Stopped using Microsoft-based computers about 15 years back because every one of them became infected with malware after only a year or two. (And I did try to prevent it with anti-virus software.). Have owned 6 or 8 different Apple devices and never had a problem. They do a pretty good job policing / regulating the app sellers and their software.

And while Amazon’s Fire & Kindle tablets are pretty decent devices (more than decent actually) their customer phone support is horrible. You often get folks who barely speak English and act like they’re in a life and death race to drop your call and move on to the next unfortunate soul. Difference between Apple’s phone support and Amazon’s is night and day.

Here’s the list: (sorry this is more about service than product):

- Microsoft-based computers

- Amazon tablet devices (due to poor support)

- Silver Airways (a small regional carrier based in Ft. Lauderdale which also flies under the “United” banner between several Florida cities). If you don’t believe me, Google their complaints.:)
  • edited August 2018
    Derf said:

@Old_Joe: Are you sure you're not full of hot air?! Just kidding. Cleaning of refrigerator will help with the cooling & electric consumption. That reminds me , past time for a good vacuuming of the frig.
    Enjoy the weekend, Derf

@Derf: Old Joe is exactly correct. And I’ll add that washing your car will improve its safety (and fuel economy).

• @Old_Joe Warning to all, I can't stop talking about Electronics.
  • @VF, I was talking about not only its electrical usage for what you get but its wack transatlantic travels

This

>> You paid good money for something in olden days, then it WAS good. It was built to last. That's how companies made their reputation. Who looked for manufacturer warranty when you purchased anything? Today they SELL you extended warranty. Why? Today things are built to fail. Reputation? Who gives a flying f***? THAT is my point.

no small part of which is demonstrable bunk (and seems odd from someone who has done a lot of repairs --- have you been reading CU reports for decades, as I have?), seems in my viewpoint just 'get offa my lawn'. But obvs ymmv and de gustibus etc.
  • edited August 2018
    I do think though there is a desire amongst companies for manufactured obsolescence so you continue to buy more of their goods and this is especially so in electronics. Each upgrade of an operating system usually leaves owners of older computer systems behind with regard to storage space and compatibility.
    Also, I’ve noticed far more plastic parts with a tendency to break in most products today. I’ll give you an example. Three years ago I bought a Peugeot pepper mill. Aside from the company’s well known auto manufacturing, it is rather famous as one of the oldest makers of quality pepper mills and hand coffee grinders. So I thought it was a quality product only to discover inside of it were plastic parts that soon broke and the company has so far refused to honor its warranty. I believe the old fashioned kind of fine tool manufacturing on steel and metal parts is expensive and a lost art for many product today that are just considered disposable. In other words, I think VF has a point.
  • Cost-driven product design (plastic parts) is real for sure. I am surprised otherwise that someone so sophisticated about so much would make these unsophisticated claims as a generality. The chief reason for OS and similar upgrades is performance. Nothing to do with planned obsolescence, which has been (mostly misguidedly) fretted and kvetched about for decades. That's an easily disposed-of myth.

Is or was Peugeot well-regarded for auto reliability? They may have made unwise decisions, but I bet no one there aimed for disposable product in grinders. Some other categories, maybe.
  • Manufactured obsolescence is far from being a myth in electronics:

https://google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-42615378
  • Maybe you did not read to the end of the article, and in any case this is not that, really (designed in from the start).

I rest my case about your unsophistication here. I am pretty surprised, I must say. I find you so savvy and self-correcting in your finance / investment articles and posts.
  • edited August 2018
    I’ve been writing about tech stocks periodically for over twenty years. Back in the 1990s they called this sort of planned obsolescence and it’s planners the Win-tel Consortium as in Windows/Microsoft and Intel working together to get people to constantly upgrade their systems. Sorry it’s not a myth. It’s a well known and legal in many countries business strategy. Also the article cites ink cartridges as an example. I’ve seen this firsthand. Chip readers installed in the printer tell you your ink cartridge is empty so you’ll buy another one when in fact it isn’t. All you have to do is cover the part of the cartridge the chip reader scans and you can print thousands more pages without doing any harm to you printer whatsoever. As for the article printing Apple’s rationale regarding battery life at the end, what else would you expect Apple to say while three nations are investigating it and many consumers say otherwise? It’s naive to take a trillion dollar company’s statement on this at face value.
  • Sure about ink cartridges, but seriously, is that all you got?
    I worked for tech companies for 40y of a widely varied range, CE, security, software, hardware, mil, robotics, med devices, networking, and much more. From wee startups to Bell Labs, from small CE to BBN. I sure do agree and know that outsiders and journalists regularly assume the worst, not just cynicism but happy controlling paranoia. Business journalists like you are at the very top of self-gullibility, without having a clue about it either in self-awareness / self-skepticism or true engineering culture insights; everyone knows that as well, at least in the engineering depts. Not that there aren't evil grubby MBA types in marketing. But the zeal for lots of worthy things, reliability and performance and UX above all, all overwhelmingly customer- and business-driven, is dominant. Sorry, and extra-sorry this sounds pollyannaish. The Apple battery thing is a perfect example. Get to know some working engineers. They do get frustrated and overruled all the time as to cost-cutting and margins, but see how many have been ordered to design and build and spec as you claim. Engineering is one area in which we can still have a little faith, in my extensive experience.
  • edited August 2018
    Again you keep thinking I assume there’s some evil CEO twirling his mustache as he plans these things out. I actually again think this kind of planned obsolescence is endemic to having a growing business in the tech sector. If someone could just buy one computer and never have to swap it for another one, these companies would cease to exist. Is it “evil” for them to be thinking of any way they possibly can to get you to buy another one? My god, are you honestly not going to admit we live in a disposable culture in which the things we consume aren’t built to last the way they once were? There are mountains of landfills and dumps to prove otherwise. And some of those landfills are full of computers. And it is not just accidental those landfills exist. It’s by design.
    Or perhaps this is just another instance of a business journalist full of “self gullibility?”: https://newyorker.com/business/currency/the-l-e-d-quandary-why-theres-no-such-thing-as-built-to-last
    Seriously rude, man.
  • Wow. As if Moore's law does not exist.

All of your other points are true but quite to the side. Did you think CDs was chiefly this plot to get us to buy our music collections a second or third time? Did you think hi-rez audio (which is bullshit, but was and is sincerely believed) was a plot to get us to do it a fourth or fifth time? Oh, those poor turntables in landfills. (Now being mined for the new idiot vinyl fad.)

I believe you have altogether missed the subtle point of the NYer piece.

Apologies for rudeness. As I say, your take, from you or any journalist like you, is very surprising to me. Your "by design" is dumbfounding to me. But I see where you are coming from. I know lots of wide-eyed supercynical journalists who think along these lines. They can hardly cover pharm, or tech, much less politics. "Har, the head person said common good, get serious, what a crock." You're not among them, seems to me. This is not imputing mustache-twirling to your vision.

And about the way they were --- I bet you have been CU reliability ratings since the 1960s.
  • edited August 2018
    @davidrmoran “Journalists like you?” Do you even know me? What’s next—“the enemy of the people?” You say I surprise you with my naïveté on this subject. To be honest, you’re surprising me with these bs ad hominem attacks so uncharacteristic of you. How is stereotyping me that way any different from my saying “old white men like you?” Did you even read the New Yorker article I linked? How many times have you asked that very same question about other articles you’ve linked for posters? Stick to the subject and discuss it with evidence and stop attacking me personally. Otherwise, this conversation is over.
  • come on. I stay at least on substance. Of course I read the NYer article. I think you are not getting its point, not at all. No personal shots. You have not addressed any of my points about Moore's law (inevitable improvements in power, and what that entails and requires); about CU user reliability database over the decades, and what it shows for any number of goods; and my decades of (anecdotal) career attending engineering design meetings of profitable tech companies that made stuff of all sorts in a huge range of areas. Not once did I ever hear, even in CE, about designed-in meh work or spurs to obsolete for end users and achieve repeat sales. It may be that cost driving is unreported and misunderstood by some, how pernicious it is, but there have been books and longform journalism about consumers being excessively price-sensitive.

And you overlooked what I said in my post about your lack of cynicism.

But here you are largely mistaken. I say, with reasoning. My substantiated opinion. That's all.
  • edited August 2018
    Regarding Moore’s law, I would say two words capture my view—modular and soldering. Why have many computers/phones largely become sealed systems you can’t swap parts out of instead of having to throw the whole device out? The chips in many cases are now soldered to the motherboard and batteries are not replaceable as you can’t open the machine anymore. Now if you ask companies like Apple why you can’t simply swap out the parts when a new chip arrives a la Moore’s law, they’ll say well the goal today is for laptops and phones to become thinner and smaller so it requires the system be sealed. That is in part true, but why is it true? Because building a machine that lasts as long as possible is not a priority for them. It is not necessarily an “evil” plot but it is part of a product cycle in which consumers are pushed/lured/seduced into buying the next system. And without that you don’t have a trillion dollar company. And by the way, I do know some engineers personally. The ones I know aren’t focused on product durability. They’re focused on features, adding the latest and greatest app, not making the product last as long as possible so you never have to buy another one. Again this is a systemic issue without which companies are either much smaller or cease to exist. This is not a question of good or evil as the example of LED lights in the New Yorker article points out assuming you read it. Having a product that lasts a long time or forever is truly problematic for companies.
  • It is altogether true that sex appeal and first-best-most for consumers real and mythical have overcome good engineering and certainly reusable engineering. One gig I did recently that I did not mention was for google's modular cellphone. You actually could snap in different sensors and other pieces of wee hardware for different functions. It was not killed by google, suddenly, because of any of these concerns but (in part) because the competition (apps, but more) was too advanced and too fast and the future did not look as bright as it hard a year prior. Of course I never inferred a hint, from the top down to the contracted module devos, about anything to do with repeat sales or obsolescence.

I remain puzzled that you think I did not read the NYer piece; yes about LEDs.

Your last sentence is yet another canard (I charge; you can disagree; please do not take personally again) which has proved not remotely true for Japanese auto companies. In fact more than one of them have built entire ad campaigns centered on 85% of all ____ ever made are still on the road. Etc. My owning of ancient Priuses, whose hoods I still have not opened anywhere near as often as my cars of adolescence, young adulthood, and middle age, has not hurt Toyota a whit, insofar as it has meant that I recommended my children and sibs buy the same (which they have). How oh how has Toyota done as well as it has?

Same with flatscreen TVs. Do you have any idea how insanely reliable they have proved?

Compare cars and TVs with the good old days.

There are many more examples.
  • edited August 2018
    The New Yorker article in some ways already addresses the automobile example especially a premium auto example. People pay so much for autos today they expect them to last and the manufacturers know they can survive by just selling consumers one for $25,000 or 30,000 and waiting for a long time before they buy another one. The same isn’t true for most other products that cost less:
    All of this would amount to little more than a business-school case study of history quirkily repeating itself, if it weren’t for the fact that finding an economic model for products that last is increasingly seen as critical to environmental sustainability.

“My starting point is, get the economics right,” Tim Cooper, a design professor who heads the sustainable-consumption research group at Nottingham Trent University, told me. It’s already possible to buy durable products, he said—Miele washing machines, Vitsoe shelving, Jaguar cars. But, because such products command premium prices, they remain niche goods; by Cooper’s estimate they make up less than five per cent of the market. To truly change a light bulb will require policy changes—whether regulatory, market-based, or voluntary within industries—that support longer product lifetimes.

In a 2010 book that he edited, “Longer Lasting Products,” Cooper suggests possible ways to accomplish this: Minimum standards of durability, repairability, and upgradeability. A decrease in taxes on labor and an increase on energy and raw materials, to help make it cheaper to repair or recondition things and more expensive to make new ones. Sales-tax rates based on product lifetimes. Longer consumer guarantees and warranties. Labelling programs or rating schemes that let consumers know how long stuff will last.

The economic model to aim for, Cooper said, is founded on people buying fewer, but better, products, and paying more across those products’ lifetimes. The manufacture of quality goods would employ more people, and the goods would sell at higher prices. A dramatic expansion of the repair-and-servicing sector, the secondhand market, and the sharing economy would provide additional levels of commercial activity. And while consumers would likely end up spending less money on stuff over all, that would free up income for services and investment.

Such visions date back at least to 1982, when an O.E.C.D. report urged governments to address the volume of solid waste by encouraging more durable products, but they remain little studied or implemented. Almost thirty-five years later, Cooper, who has been researching product durability since the early nineties, couldn’t name any instances when national governments or world bodies implemented policies to promote longer life spans. (I wrote about outdoor retailer Patagonia’s seemingly incongruous attempt to address consumerism last year.) Politically speaking, the reason is obvious: even advocates such as Cooper describe the transformation of a consumer economy fuelled by obsolescence as a “radical, systemic change” that is likely, at least in the short term, to slow economic growth. “This may be unacceptable to governments, which use economic growth as their primary performance indicator,” Cooper notes, rather dryly, in “Longer Lasting Products.”
  • This too seems wrongheaded to me (not about you, but Cooper, in part, in that blinkered quote about Miele) --- but maybe somewhat less wrong 10y ago?

TVs have dropped in price like a stone, and still they almost never break. People get new or better or the latest --- and almost always larger --- or are forced to switch from plasma (when it does break) to something other, since nobody makes plasma anymore.

If I had been editing that piece I would asked for some serious work on this aspect of the issue.

The solid waste problem is just huge, also all the packaging these goods come in, not to mention shipping distance (carbon footprint). How many hot summers till production revolution and shipping panics set in?
    I am waiting to hear how glass bottles shipped round the world get outlawed. For inexpensive wines (Aussie and LA bulk, e.g.) the bottle at your local store would cost the same if it contained water or air. I remember learning >30y ago working in CE that a given audio component coming to Mass. (where it had been designed) from Japan OEM would have the same ~$80 landed cost and then CGS if our nifty circuitry had not been inside and the can were mostly empty.
  • "not making the product last as long as possible so you never have to buy another one"

@LewisBraham: That concept became "inoperative" when Bell Labs and Western Electric were broken up.
  • Smartphones can actually be repaired and have internal components replaced. Often one can find repair booths set up right outside Apple stores where they can replace the broken glass pane, replaced worn Li-ion battery, camera and others. The business is pretty good since they are always busy (at least the malls I go to). If you are the handle type you can buy all the replacement parts online and a $20 repair kit (contain small tweezers, screwdrivers, micro blade, pressure sensitive adhesive, and other spare parts) and do the repair yourself. There are Youtubes that show you how to lift the front glass pane and do the repair step by step. My iPhone is close to 5 years old and the battery is showing the age now. Most likely I will replace the battery myself for $10 and $20 for the repair kit. That will last for another 5 years.

I come to the same conclusion with hank that Apple products are well designed and built with quality parts. My MacPro laptop and iMac are over 6 years old, but they are running perfectly fine. Whereas my Windows workstation at work went through 2 refresh cycles with either hard drive failure or virus infection in less than 4 years. I pretty much gave up on my Windows 10 PC at home and now run it under Linux OS. The initial cost for the Apple's hardware is higher and the user experience is priceless.

Cars are well built today providing that you keep up with the maintance, thus a ten years period of ownership is reasonable. We gravitated toward Toyota and Honda since the college days and have had excellent experience. The youngest model was made in 2011 (7 years old Odyssey) and the oother made in 1991 (27 years old Civic). One of our kid in college is driving a 5 years old Civic.

Perhaps luck has a lot to do with electrical devices and cars.
  • Wife and I got a new iPh 5S battery per Apple offer and it makes a nice difference at least as to fretting

@Sven, roger re maintenance, but the other thing about cars is they now need so little, or so much less frequently. Wild. Tolerances, man. It's not that you never have to buy another one with cars, but as I age it's easy to see that the next new one might well be the last.

I have had good luck w W10 at home, but a lot of memory helps. HD failures I have had all had enough time warnings and flaky behaviors to stay ahead of them. We replaced an old GE fridge (which is what started this thread, I think), which was a workhorse indeed, with a fancy new LG from Costco, and some performance areas are improved, but boy is the energy usage lower and cheaper. Wow.
  • edited August 2018
    Growing up in the 50s and 60s - and for at least a decade after that - planned obsolescence was in vogue - particularly for the U.S. auto industry. Believe it or not, it was accepted by most consumers as a fact of life and even viewed as a respectable way to keep product demand high and the economy humming along. The whole idea of constantly changing styling relied on and fostered this concept. A nice modern looking ‘59 Chevy with the V-shaped back-end (owing to its outsized tail fins) looked “modern” when introduced in late ‘58 - but ugly as creation a few years later when the designers lobbed off the fins on newer autos. And it was said back than (but harder to document / demonstrate) that mechanical parts were designed to have a short service life so as to need replacing by 30,000 or 40,000 miles.

What happened? The “Japanese invasion” of high quality autos taught Americans that they didn’t have to put up with such nonsense. The Japanese imports began to take a bigger and bigger slice out of the U.S. markets. It wasn’t just that they were designed better, but that the U.S. makers had begun turning out real junk.

When the U.S. makers finally got the idea they began investing in better designs and adding quality. But they had a long way to go. American autos eventually improved dramatically. I first noticed the improvement with a new ‘09 Ford Fusion I owned. This new launch was a collaborative effort between Ford and Mazda. (And boy did Ford need Mazda’s design engineers.) I was told that there was virtually no difference between the Fusion and its Mazda counterpart in the early years. So that’s the birth of the Fusion, one of the better cars Ford ever produced. Quiet, solid, nicely appointed, etc. Eventually the two partners parted ways and Ford continued on its own to refine the Fusion. Haven’t driven one in at least 5 years, but the last one I drove seemed as good or better than the earlier models.

Electronics? Everything I’ve bought for the past 10-20 years has been very durable. The only TV that had an issue was struck by lightening. And it still partially functioned. I’ve had about a dozen tablet devices (ipads, Kindles, Amazon Fires) and have never worn one out. Generally it’s the unplanned obsolescence that catches you now. They just become outdated. I did have one lithium ion battery swell up in an iphone (a known issue and potential fire hazard).One call to Apple and they agreed to a free exchange - even though it was out of warranty. And I “tested” an old Ipad by repeatedly smashing with a heavy sledge hammer on a cement drive. I was unable to break it. Strong as steel.

• Competition in product design benefits the consumers as shown in the auto industry. Prior to the 70's oil embargo there was no incentive for fuel efficiency as Detroit put out cars that rust out in several years while getting 8-10 miles per gallon. Fast forward 40 years, galvanized steel reduce rusting and high compression with fuel injection provide fuel efficient cars that easily last over 100,000 miles. Ford did not want to invest in small 4 cylinders engines while that was the main trust of Japanese car companies. The early Pinto and Escort were not reliable until Ford decided to use Marza engines. Now Ford is planning to exit the passenger car market and concentrates on trucks and SUVs because of their higher profit margin.

Our family like Apple products dur to their reliability and ease of use. So far we have no virus issue unlike the Windows computers we had. It seems that each generation of Windows OS have gotten bigger and so does the hardware, especially the amount of RAM memory. At work I had mine workstation max out at 128 GB and that is silly whereas my iMac can do the same task with half of the RAM. Battery is an area that plagues the electronic industry including Apple. Think about the lithium ion battery in Samsung Notes 7 phones that caught on fire! Despite all these issues, I think we are spoil for how good these devices are. Today theses tablet computers and smartphones can do so much comparing to the desktop computers in 10 years ago.