Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What are you pondering investing in today?

2»

Comments

• edited July 2016

I sold underperforming LCV funds and put the proceeds into PONDX, as much for needing some cash next year as for the markets' being high.

You still have DSENX/DSEEX though, right David? I'm thinking I may take a small starter bite on the next mini-correction.
  • edited July 2016
    I still have a ton in it, yes. Have sold none and should have been clearer. What I did was bail out of most YACKX and YAFFX. I additionally hold PRBLX, FLPSX, some foreign, some REIT, and that's about it. (No small now, no notional growth, no emerging, no lo-volatil, no balanced or blended.) Now back into PONDX, obvs.
    I have been comparing DSENX with NOBL, OUSA, DVY, and SCHD for many months now and am v pleased with its consistency and outperformance.
    So I would not hesitate were I you.
  • @davidrmoran Thanks again for drawing my attention to DSENX!
  • expatsp said:

@davidrmoran Thanks again for drawing my attention to DSENX!

If you are thinking of buying in a retirement account, and at least $5000, consider DSEEX. You only need a minimum of $5000 to purchase institutional shares if it is in a retirement account, which will have a lower ER. However, it might have a transaction fee to consider (whereas DSENX might not, could depend on the brokerage).
  • Mark said:

@Charles and Press - with FNMA at just 6-7% of the fund holdings how big of an impact are you expecting/anticipating from even a positive decision? Also didn't the fund have quite a larger percentage of assets in this holding at the start of this dispute? If so one might question why its been sold down. Just curious.

Hi Mark...I believe the holdings were reduced, but only marginally. My original interest was in FAIRX, which holds similar stakes to also include a wider array of preferreds. To be clear, I sold out of my Fairholme position in December, mainly to avoid the distributions. On a flyer, I did buy quite a few shares of FNMA though in both taxable and deferred accounts at that same time.

The impact of a favorable ruling is a matter for debate....Bill Ackman believes the value of the commons to be worth between $20-$50/share. That is a return of between 10-25x the current price, which would clearly give BB a huge boost. It's up to the courts right now...
  • Actually I am rebalancing now to increase cash position after trimming precious metals and US equity. YTD is over 7% and that is good enough for us. Earning season is upon us in the States and I don't have confidence given the slow global growth and unrest. This year our family will limit our travel to our backyard in Pacific Northwest and Canada.
  • edited July 2016
    @Crash said:
    @MikeW: " I'm currently pondering investing in Mathews Asia Strategic Income..." MAINX . I still track this one. I think that in spite of itself, it has shown itself to be a good choice. It's limited to Asia, though Morningstar puts it in their World Bond category. David Snowball has written quite positive things about it, too. M* reports 6.8% cash now. @Junkster said You have some nice performing funds there Crash.

Opened new position in Asia High Yield,MCRDX. Managed by MAINX manager Theresa Kong,Own MAINX and DLENX in E M bonds.

From Mattews Asia web site.Q and A with Ms Kong/Matthews Asia
    How do the returns for Asia credit compare to similar asset
    classes as well as other equity and fixed income asset classes?
    Most bonds in the portfolio will be sub-investment grade, or so-called
    ‘high yield’ bonds. Such investments should be considered speculative
    and may include distressed and defaulted securities. However, high
    yield bonds tend to provide high income in an effort to compensate
    investors for their higher risk of default.
    Over the long term, Asia high yield bonds have generated higher
    returns than European, Lat. Am and U.S. high yield bonds, with a
    lower level of risk.
    http://us.matthewsasia.com/resources/docs/pdf/QA/QA-Asia-Credit-Opportunities.pdf
  • @TSP_Transfer: MCRDX is a new one on me. I'm out of Matthews permanently, however.