Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Not enough debt

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/21/opinion/paul-krugman-debt-is-good-for-the-economy.html

... many economists argue that the economy needs a sufficient amount of public debt out there to function well. And how much is sufficient? Maybe more than we currently have. That is, there’s a reasonable argument to be made that part of what ails the world economy right now is that governments aren’t deep enough in debt.

Nicely supported and the better comments are good as well.

Comments

• Dex
    edited August 2015
    Krugman is an idiot ... many economies have past the point of no return.

http://thespellmanreport.com/2015/04/05/the-point-of-no-return-for-government-debt/#.VddXaiVViko

"Their research, contained in their book “This Time Is Different,” shows that over many years, for many countries, that the threshold for debt to grow exponentially occurs when the debt-to-income ratio reaches approximately .9 — that is, when a country’s debt is 90 percent of its GDP."
  • interesting concept...if the government pays it off when times are good. Fat chance of that ever happening!
  • edited August 2015
    -
  • edited August 2015
    Kinda can guess why central banks want at least a 2% inflation rate........cheaper future money, eh?

Don't have time to read all of the comments, but; http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Everyone will have to decide for themselves as to how much and what kind of debt is healthy.
  • @Dex, you have not kept up with the fatal problems with the R&R work, evidently. I would post links, but they would have the K word in them.

L5b, that's the whole point, no need to pay it off. It's not like a household, and never has been. Debt is money we owe chiefly ourselves. It is the whole point of what is totally hilarious about libertarian-man going back to 1835. The only thing that matters is debt as a ratio of GDP or similar. Scary clock is beside the point; we should have clocks showing GDP, or infrastructure failure, or military spending, or contraceptive successes....

Check out graphs here:
    http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/jun/06/how-case-austerity-has-crumbled/

See also:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/09/opinion/paul-krugman-nobody-understands-debt.html
    http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/04/07/the-fiscal-future-ii-not-enough-debt/
  • @davidrmoran I wish my household had a money printing machine.;)
  • @little5bee- Not taking sides here, but David M is quite correct in pointing out that there is a very significant collection of research supporting his observation regarding a basic and intrinsic difference between entities which are empowered to print money and those (like us) who aren't. This topic inevitably leads to another discussion comparing governing entities which are empowered to print money vs use of the precious metals as the legal exchange mechanism. Anyone who would tell you that the latter is without major problems compared to "fiat currency" is either terribly ignorant of fiscal history, or an outright charlatan.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2015
    "L5b, that's the whole point, no need to pay it off. It's not like a household, and never has been. Debt is money we owe chiefly ourselves. It is the whole point of what is totally hilarious about libertarian-man going back to 1835. The only thing that matters is debt as a ratio of GDP or similar. Scary clock is beside the point; we should have clocks showing GDP, or infrastructure failure, or military spending, or contraceptive successes...."

The "Free Lunch Keynesian Bull**** Theory" will never accept that it is a failure because of the utter garbage excuse of, "Well, gee, it just wasn't enough debt."

Didn't work? Not enough debt. Adds more debt. Ooops, didn't work, not enough debt. Fail. Adds more debt. Hey, I have an idea! Lets add more debt. Hmmm... that didn't work. Monetary theory meets Einstein's theory of insanity.

Politicians love this **** because they can make tons of promises and make their favored cronies rich and then when it falls apart and we're back to square one, by that point it's someone else's problem. Anyone can throw a good party with trillions of dollars and to think that there's no hangover is complete nonsense.

So, when this doesn't work, should we double the debt? When that doesn't work, then what? Who lets us know when there's "just enough" debt? Goldilocks Krugman? This nonsense is infuriating.

" or infrastructure failure,"

We have politicians who could not care less about things like infrastructure, because it's a lot easier to pump up asset prices so that politicians can have something to point to to indicate that everything is a-okay. Tech stocks can go up forever, until they can't. Houses can go up forever, until they can't. Stocks can go up forever, until they can't. Meanwhile, all manner of core problems in the country are ignored and are no better when asset prices erode again and we're back to square one having spent an s-ton for various stimulus. Now things are looking like they are heading South again and we're at ZIRP.

The fact that we have had three QEs and several years of ZIRP and now the market and economy are as shaky as they are should be more than a little concerning. If things get much worse, we probably won't get another QE - we'll likely get next-level policy lunacy.

The Fed is stuck at ZIRP and more debt piled on top to get another unsustainable/brief sugar high will not be the magic pixie dust that makes things better.

• @scott,

Your mind appears fully made up and unamenable.

Still, the data, which always have a liberal bias as everyone knows, show the Keynesian stuff is the opposite of wrong. And others than you can study these:

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/26/debt-and-growth-in-the-g7/

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/27/the-debt-non-spiral/
  • @scott agree

@Maurice actually, I have considered it to get free healthcare! Do you know if any of them have golf?

@davidrmoran @Old_Joe just trying to lighten things up on a bad market day and be more diplomatic towards my progressive friends here on the MFO board :)
  • roger, yeah, what a pounding. If I had any cash, I would buy.
  • edited August 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice not going unless they change the uniform...tan sweatsuits...YUCK!
  • The column didn't strike me as one of Dr. K's better ones - a bit rambling and indecisive. Rather than focusing (or not focusing) on general public debt levels, he could have concentrated on why increasing public debt now could be a good thing.

He did that in one paragraph only, writing about how borrowing when rates are low makes sense, especially when that money can be put to use on needed infrastructure projects. He could also have appealed to those who feel that the private sector is more fiscally responsible.

Private companies have been borrowing like mad, even though they're not necessarily using that money for capital expenditures (instead using much of the money for financial games like stock buybacks).
    US Corporations Rush to Issue Debt Before It's Too Late (Institutional Investor, May 13, 2015)

Regarding R&R ... Even the authors stated that there's no cause and effect between amount of debt and growth rate. (The cause/effect could be the reverse - as economies contract, debt to GDP ratio rises.)

Easy enough to offer links w/o Dr. K:
    Bloomberg: FAQ: Reinhart, Rogoff, and the Excel Error That Changed History (April 18, 2013)
    Next New Deal: Researchers Finally Replicated Reinhart-Rogoff, and There Are Serious Problems.(April 16, 2013).

Okay, Bloomberg mentions Krugman, but only to illustrate that the usual suspects jumped on the errors.

The latter article discusses the UMass paper that found three errors in R&R's work. The article spends about 2-3 paragraphs per error, explaining the problem and its impact on the figures. Nice clear writeup (with links to the R&R and UMass papers, among others).
  • Well, he has been writing intelligently and as loudly as possible about this for some years, so any yawn quality may be due just to its coming on the heels of the fool Paul comment, which was unusually stupid and lolz. I thought the penultimate para (bad punctuation and all) wiser than usual and in need of repeating, being subtle about policy lever use down the road when not as feasible.

The private sector arguments are hoary and tiresome and sometimes easy to discredit, and also to credit, but it was novel, maybe, to say that it is not always good comparatively at creation of debt stability and debt instruments.
    I am waiting for someone to ask if we really want the private sector to build the ginormous $T wall to keep Messicans out, or the public sector.

Ah, the profound damage Reagan did with his reactionary anti-gov quips, back in the news with Carter's cancer.

• L5b, that's the whole point, no need to pay it off.

That's not the whole point - other point missing, the interest has to be paid. Think about it.

Fiscal year 215 - US interest $350.8B @ 2.3%

Double the interest rate and double in interest paid to 701.6B

Get the picture ... Krugman is an idiot.
  • edited August 2015
    Wikipedia: "William Spencer Vickrey was a Canadian-born professor of economics and Nobel Laureate. Vickrey was awarded the 1996 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences with James Mirrlees for their research into the economic theory of incentives under asymmetric information, becoming the only Nobel laureate born in British Columbia. The announcement of the prize was made just three days prior to his death; his Columbia University economics department colleague C. Lowell Harriss accepted the posthumous prize on his behalf (there is only one other case where a Nobel Prize has been presented posthumously)."
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Vickrey

When Vickery died in 1996, I recall viewing a chilling clip of his prophesy regarding U.S. fiscal conservativism. In short, he predicted that if the current obscession repaying the federal deficit continued, the world was headed for a catastrophic financial collapse accompanied by severe deflation. I thought about his warning a lot as '07-'09 unfolded.

Vickery: "Deficits are considered to represent sinful profligate spending at the expense of future generations who will be left with a smaller endowment of invested capital. This fallacy seems to stem from a false analogy to borrowing by individuals. Current reality is almost the exact opposite. Deficits add to the net disposable income of individuals, to the extent that government disbursements that constitute income to recipients exceed that abstracted from disposable income in taxes, fees, and other charges. This added purchasing power, when spent, provides markets for private production, inducing producers to invest in additional plant capacity, which will form part of the real heritage left to the future. This is in addition to whatever public investment takes place in infrastructure, education, research, and the like. Larger deficits, sufficient to recycle savings out of a growing gross domestic product (GDP) in excess of what can be recycled by profit-seeking private investment, are not an economic sin but an economic necessity. Deficits in excess of a gap growing as a result of the maximum feasible growth in real output might indeed cause problems, but we are nowhere near that level. Even the analogy itself is faulty. If General Motors, AT&T, and individual households had been required to balance their budgets in the manner being applied to the Federal government, there would be no corporate bonds, no mortgages, no bank loans, and many fewer automobiles, telephones, and houses."
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deficit_spending
  • edited August 2015
    Dex said:

L5b, that's the whole point, no need to pay it off.

That's not the whole point - other point missing, the interest has to be paid. Think about it.

Fiscal year 215 - US interest $350.8B @ 2.3%

Double the interest rate and double in interest paid to 701.6B

Get the picture ... Krugman is an idiot.
    But we've spent money so wisely and in such a forward-thinking way (and don't forget, no such thing as malinvestment, silly) that there is no way that we would not be able to service more debt and things are going to be amazing going forwa...haahahahahahahaha.

Eventually there will be a political speech in this country that goes like this:

• Dex
    edited August 2015
    hank said:

This is in addition to whatever public investment takes place in infrastructure, education, research, and the like. Larger deficits, sufficient to recycle savings out of a growing gross domestic product (GDP) in excess of what can be recycled by profit-seeking private investment, are not an economic sin but an economic necessity.

Well then another reason why the US deficit isn't good. A large part of it was spent on war, bailing out banks, wall street, shovel ready jobs that 'weren't quite shovel ready', propping up Iraq, Afghanistan, foreign aid to Egypt, Israel, Mexico, etc, In the future it will be increased by interest on the debt, entitlement payments and maybe some more war.

There is the rub between economic theory and economic reality.
  • Not clear why anyone should point another toward greater understanding, someone who posts without substance that Krugman is an idiot. But interest can be (and is) part of the self-dealing, self-owing, self-paying cashflow. I recognize it's hard to get the mind around these economic truths about government debt. And it is, yes, important that debt not become a large multiple of GDP. But debt is always someone else's asset.

These are, again, worth restudying closely:

http://fatasmihov.blogspot.com/2015/02/those-mountains-of-debt-and-assets.html

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/06/debt-is-money-we-owe-to-ourselves/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/09/opinion/paul-krugman-nobody-understands-debt.html

[Government debt] does not directly make the economy poorer, and paying it off doesn’t make us richer. True, debt can pose a threat to financial stability — but the situation is not improved if efforts to reduce debt end up pushing the economy into deflation and depression.
  • Dex
    edited August 2015

Not clear why anyone should point another toward greater understanding, someone who posts without substance that Krugman is an idiot. But interest can be (and is) part of the self-dealing, self-owing, self-paying cashflow. I recognize it's hard to get the mind around these economic truths about government debt. And it is, yes, important that debt not become a large multiple of GDP. But debt is always someone else's asset.

Krugman is an idiot ... many economies have past the point of no return.

http://thespellmanreport.com/2015/04/05/the-point-of-no-return-for-government-debt/#.VddXaiVViko

"Their research, contained in their book “This Time Is Different,” shows that over many years, for many countries, that the threshold for debt to grow exponentially occurs when the debt-to-income ratio reaches approximately .9 — that is, when a country’s debt is 90 percent of its GDP."

"Well then another reason why the US deficit isn't good. A large part of it was spent on war, bailing out banks, wall street, shovel ready jobs that 'weren't quite shovel ready', propping up Iraq, Afghanistan, foreign aid to Egypt, Israel, Mexico, etc, In the future it will be increased by interest on the debt, entitlement payments and maybe some more war. "

These are, again, worth restudying closely:

http://fatasmihov.blogspot.com/2015/02/those-mountains-of-debt-and-assets.html

"This is admittedly an outlier among governments, most governments do not have assets that equal in value their liabilities. "

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/06/debt-is-money-we-owe-to-ourselves/

" I don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience. "

"I don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience. "

[Government debt] does not directly make the economy poorer, and paying it off doesn’t make us richer. True, debt can pose a threat to financial stability — but the situation is not improved if efforts to reduce debt end up pushing the economy into deflation and depression.

And not dealing with it results in inflation that hurts minorities, women and children.

In my humble estimation the US will have stagnating employee wages and a VAT added to deal with the interest on the debt. General misery will ensue. That is the economic reality.

Krugman and his crew will continue to say "I am from the government and here to help you (with debt)." Mostly it is done to make the 'giver' feel good about themselves. While the masses are hurt.

Krugman is an idiot.
  • scott said:

Eventually there will be a political speech in this country that goes like this:

It's too late for that.

• Okay, my mind wasn't made up so if I were scoring this debate, I give the 'debt is needed within our economic structure' crowd the win over the 'debt is the demise of America' opinions. Facts versus opinion is what I read.

I'll score it 5 to 2. Debt okay team wins:)

But Scott's laughing guy cartoon did make me laugh also. Problem is you could use the same cartoon depicting the side saying QE and QE2 weren't needed.

Was it spent as well as it should have been? Probably not. Was it needed? Probably so. Good debate.
  • Dex
    edited August 2015
    Okay, my mind wasn't made up so if I were scoring this debate, I give the 'debt is needed within our economic structure' crowd the win over the 'debt is the demise of America' opinions. Facts versus opinion is what I read.
    MikeM said:

Okay, my mind wasn't made up so if I were scoring this debate, I give the 'debt is needed within our economic structure' crowd the win over the 'debt is the demise of America' opinions. Facts versus opinion is what I read.

I'll score it 5 to 2. Debt okay team wins:)

But Scott's laughing guy cartoon did make me laugh also. Problem is you could use the same cartoon depicting the side saying QE and QE2 weren't needed.

Was it spent as well as it should have been? Probably not. Was it needed? Probably so. Good debate.

Who said debt wasn't a needed tool here?

Please quote the poster so there isn't any misunderstandings.

Thanks

• >> US will have stagnating employee wages and a VAT added to deal with the interest on the debt. General misery will ensue. That is the economic reality.

Wait, debt interest is, or is going to be, responsible for zero wage growth?

>> Krugman and his crew will continue to say "I am from the government and here to help you (with debt)." Mostly it is done to make the 'giver' feel good about themselves. While the masses are hurt.

lolz, to think that is economists' motive, to feel good. Man, this is wack even for online thinking.

>> Krugman is an idiot.

You said that already, more than once. You got anything substantive, data-based. I mean, spouting is great, speaking of feeling good, but what else you got? On point, please. Evidence etc.
  • edited August 2015

-
  • edited August 2015
    Here's one way to view it: Rising government debt lowers the value of the currency in which it is issued. This is called "inflation". Inflation lowers the true value of the outstanding debt held BY individuals and businesses. Each successive payment they make is done so with cheaper and cheaper currency. Provided that income is rising along with inflation, the debtor wins.

Falling government debt increases the value of a currency. Its purchasing power increases. This is called "deflation." Deflation increases the true value of debt owed TO individuals. Each successive payment they receive is made using a more and more valuable currency. Lenders win here. Borrowers lose.

You can see this relationship easily in the bond markets. During periods of high inflation bond holders (lenders) lose as bonds depreciate. During periods of low inflation or deflation bond holders win as bonds increase in value.
    -

Note: Scott incorrectly attributed a passage to me. In fact, credit belongs to 1996 Nobel prize recipient William Vickery whom I merely quoted. (But I wish I was that smart.)
  • >>
    You said that already, more than once. You got anything substantive, data-based. I mean, spouting is great, speaking of feeling good, but what else you got? On point, please. Evidence etc.

Okey dokey,

• Hi @hank
    Not to your statements directly; but the inflation/deflation thing, along with how much "growth" is enough in an otherwise stable economy reminds me of a few things that an older fart like myself has commented to the younger ones on this planet.

A most recent discussion/comment was along these lines.................
    A current tv ad notes a special savings of $7,100 or so off the MSRP of a Ford pickup truck. The discussion revolved around the fact that this amount of money would have bought 2 fully equipped 1966 Chevy Impalas. Twas just some thoughts along the lines of what changes with money over time.
    I recall similar stories when I was a kid. Apparently I listened and retained some of the ideas about money and became an investor.
    Take care,
    Catch