Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open Thread: What Are You Buying/Selling/Pondering

Comments

• Scott, I am a long term holder of CHSCO, the gift that puts a smile on my face 4x a year. CHSCL was just a natural follow on. As for Billiton, I went with BBL.
  • Just found out I'm a "preferred" TRP investor, after just about doubling what I had in there. When I exited Matthews, the money went into TRP. I gather, so far, that "preferred" means they like me, and there's not too much else. Expecting a call-back about the sign-in SNAFU with M* premium, which comes with all the flattery in the booklet I've just been sent. My new TRP positions are PRSNX and PRASX. My international holdings are much smaller now. Seafarer SFGIX, TRAMX, PRASX. Many years ago, PRSNX was recommended to me in here. We'll see what rising rates do to my 37% bond stake, now... DLFNX, PREMX, already mentioned PRSNX.
  • edited February 2015
    Crash, when you said "there's not too much else," I took it to mean you were getting M* Premium separately. Upon re-reading your post, I guess you know it is a benefit of TRP's Premium Service:

http://individual.troweprice.com/public/Retail/Products-&-Services/Select-Client-Services?WTARank=10&WTARankPhrase=select&WTAFeaturedResult=preferred
  • In an IRA sold BERIX and bought MWEIX. Also sold an MS floored preferred.
  • well, i'm wishing i bought more BBL. my tiny tiny stake of $400 is now worth $500. wooohooo!
  • Tony said:

Crash, when you said "there's not too much else," I took it to mean you were getting M* Premium separately. Upon re-reading your post, I guess you know it is a benefit of TRP's Premium Service:

http://individual.troweprice.com/public/Retail/Products-&-Services/Select-Client-Services?WTARank=10&WTARankPhrase=select&WTAFeaturedResult=preferred

Yessir, but M* and TRP are not connecting for me. They got a guy at TRP "on" it. We shall see. He's supposed to call me back. Not holding my breath. M* has become less than standard-setting, lately, anyhow. But the feature would be nice to have. Thanks for the reply.
  • @Crash
    I accessed M* xray, etc.; at TRPrice at 8:10pm EST.
    Are you not able to access the M* tool at TRP?
    Catch
  • catch22 said:

@Crash
    I accessed M* xray, etc.; at TRPrice at 8:10pm EST.
    Are you not able to access the M* tool at TRP?
    Catch

Yes, Catch. I can access my Portf. Manager and the non-premium stuff.
  • I have already posted about doubling down on REXX and ARWR, but recently in farther-term retirement accounts I sold 3/4-size chunks of FLPSX, PRBLX, YAFFX, sundry Asian funds, and OAKIX, and put all of the moneys into DSENX. Adding to existing holdings, in other words. I did not bail on the former funds altogether, because some are closed and I want to be able to add back in down the road.
    I study DSENX with trepidation, but so far so good, I must say.
  • DSENX has done very well so far. I have this fund on my Watchlist.
  • @JC,
    Just curious; what are you waiting for? Pullback?
  • Nope, I keep the watchlist funds as a backup in case one of the funds I have goes out of favor. In those cases I pick the fund that will fit my allocation needs. In Jan for example I sold a bond fund and bought DLFNX.
  • edited March 2015
    Hi John Chisum,

I do much the same thing. If I have a fund that has faltered within its sleeve then I have a watch list of funds that I can pull a replacement for it from. In addition, if I choose to add a fund to a sleeve to increase the sleeve's weighting, within the overall portfolio, then I draw from my watch list.

I think all investors should maintain a watch list. I know it is something that I do.

Old_Skeet
  • edited March 2015
    Re Watch-lists

Watch list is a good idea. I've done that in the past with a few funds I was considering buying.

Currently use one a little differently. Glance at it daily to get a sense of how various investing approaches or sectors fared during the day. So, currently it's more of an educational tool. Sometimes popular funds here end up on the list. In recent years I've added RPHYX, MFLDX, and PONDX and HSTRX - all of which gained in popularity. I visualize(ed) a big stream of $$ flowing into each. Also keep a couple gold funds on the list (OPGSX & SGGDX), as well as a couple funds I used to own but bailed out of (HSGFX and CVSIX). And a couple plain vanilla bond funds, like PRGMX.

To some extent my regular holdings also serve as a watch list. So the (additional) list doesn't have to replicate things I already own like large-cap equity, diversified income, foreign currencies or energy & commodity related.

FWIW
  • edited March 2015
    Scott said:
    hat said, look at Danaher (DHR), which is an interesting industrial conglomerate that is sort of a hybrid of an industrial conglomerate and private equity company. Danaher is up over 18,000% since inception and I don't think I've ever heard the name in financial media.

DHR vs GE:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=DHR+Interactive#{"range":"max","scale":"linear","comparisons":{"GE":{"color":"#cc0000","weight":1}}}

GE vs some peers 10yr chart:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=GE+Interactive#{"range":"10y","scale":"linear","comparisons":{"HON":{"color":"#cc0000","weight":1},"EMR":{"color":"#009999","weight":1},"SIEGY":{"color":"#ff00ff","weight":1}}}
    DHR is stuff dreams are made of, looks like. And telling comparison of GE versus peers. Thanks!
  • Charles said:

Scott said:

hat said, look at Danaher (DHR), which is an interesting industrial conglomerate that is sort of a hybrid of an industrial conglomerate and private equity company. Danaher is up over 18,000% since inception and I don't think I've ever heard the name in financial media.

DHR vs GE:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=DHR+Interactive#{"range":"max","scale":"linear","comparisons":{"GE":{"color":"#cc0000","weight":1}}}

GE vs some peers 10yr chart:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=GE+Interactive#{"range":"10y","scale":"linear","comparisons":{"HON":{"color":"#cc0000","weight":1},"EMR":{"color":"#009999","weight":1},"SIEGY":{"color":"#ff00ff","weight":1}}}
    DHR is stuff dreams are made of, looks like. And telling comparison of GE versus peers. Thanks!
    Thanks!:)

Kind of an interesting article on Danaher from several years ago that explains the corporation - it was actually a REIT at one point. It was then turned into a highly aggressive (and highly successful) acquisition vehicle, then it became a sort of private equity/industrial conglomerate hybrid.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/stories/2007-02-18/a-dynamo-called-danaher

"But despite its low profile, Danaher is probably the best-run conglomerate in America. It's clearly the best performing: Over 20 years, it has returned a remarkable 25% to shareholders annually, far better than GE (16%), Berkshire Hathaway (21%), or the Standard & Poor's 500-stock index (12%)."
  • edited March 2015
    It has done very well since that article too, better than stellar funds we all know and love. Maybe I will dive in :) .
    See also:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/reliable-source/wp/2015/01/23/mysterious-d-c-mogul-steve-rales-is-behind-oscar-nominated-pic/
  • Mona, your monitoring this site but not posting:
    Means your don't read anything up to your level, you don't care about posted information/opinions, or you move on to other/ more intelligent sites/postings......
    Which is it? I could guess...
    tampabay....your nightmare/dream?...which is it?..not going to ask again
  • Tampabay said:

Mona, your monitoring this site but not posting:
    Means your don't read anything up to your level, you don't care about posted information/opinions, or you move on to other/ more intelligent sites/postings......
    Which is it? I could guess...
    tampabay....your nightmare/dream?...which is it?..not going to ask again

TB,

I mostly learn by reading and listening, not posting and talking.

How many Bud Light's did you have this afternoon? 12, 14, 18?

Best Regards,

Mona

• Took profits on half the shares of NXPI I bought early February. It announced their purchase of one of its competitors Monday am, shares shot up 17%. This was pure luck:)
  • edited March 2015
    Added to Brown Forman (BF.B) (BF is most well-known for Jack Daniels) and that was my last "planned" investment for the year. I may add to higher yielding names (CLNY - which is merging with its parent this year - for example, there are others) if opportunities arise, but otherwise I'm going to try to just "close the books" early this year and just let things go as they may, have dividends roll in. I have no interest in adding to other core names (rails, Visa/MA, ICE, IFF,etc etc etc etc etc) or even having that much more market exposure in general.
  • Sold SKX, well actually it got stopped out, but as I stated in a previous post it was very tight, so not sorry to let it go. Had 30% profit in it, didn't want to be a hog LOL.
  • Now 21% in cash. Junk bonds' 33 consecutive day winning streak came to an end this week. May sell more tomorrow depending on market action. Some sentiment readings were at/near historic highs recently meaning too many bulls and too much complacency. Whether that has any relevance this time around we shall see.
  • too many bulls
    Maybe that is the buying action, but everyday I glance at the financial pages and find 9 bears and maybe 1 bull. Everybody thinks we are headed for a big retraction, seems like.
    too much complacency
    Now that I do see. I think Ted posted earlier that Art Cashin called it "Market Taking Its Own Temperature."

Very cool on the winning streak though. Hoping for some of your good luck (and skill) to come my way soon!

c
  • edited March 2015
    Always nice to have a little cash around as we live in interesting times. I hope this does not come to be ... but, lets consider if one country would take military action against another ... well, the markets are going to pull back and with this from my perspective a buying opportunity presents itself. We all know ... that war and global flare-ups have come to pass, through the years, more than once.

Old_Skeet
  • Need more Roth purchases.....One more Down day....have 5 investments picked out, First one that hits Target Price....I win...

Mona, baseball Season....I'm mad at Rays...Trade Zobrist was the last straw...guess I'll
    ...Watch Blue Jays (in Dunedin) or Orioles, Phillies(Clearwater) Detroit (with Price)
    I tried to get Rays to trade Price to Marlins for Stanton when they were young, but they weren't that smart.....Guess I'll watch some Florida Baseball but not Rays...save lots of money on beer at $9.00 each.......0.85 at home $2.00 Beach Happy Hour....better
  • Charles said:

too many bulls
    Maybe that is the buying action, but everyday I glance at the financial pages and find 9 bears and maybe 1 bull. Everybody thinks we are headed for a big retraction, seems like.
    too much complacency
    Now that I do see. I think Ted posted earlier that Art Cashin called it "Market Taking Its Own Temperature."

Very cool on the winning streak though. Hoping for some of your good luck (and skill) to come my way soon!

c
    Charles check out the link below. Use to be pivotal for me back in the days but don't really pay much heed to it anymore. I hope this thing keeps running and running. But they never ring bells at tops (or bottoms) Treasuries really do though seem like they have put in a bottom for yields.

http://www.yardeni.com/pub/stmktbullbear.pdf
  • if one country would take military action against another
    Where's that coming from?