Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

NTF Since When?

When did Schwab and TDA start offering load-waived MFs from the big boys such as Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan? I do remember the announcement not so long ago about TRP joining the NTF platforms. For as long as I can recall, I did not consider load funds for purchase, but nowadays many more no-load funds are on offer and some good ones at that. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Schwab started offering JP Morgan at least as early as 2012; Fidelity was a bit later, though I don't recall if it was by months or years. Don't follow TDA closely enough to have a clue there.

American Funds was a well publicized and recent addition. Haven't tracked Morgan Stanley funds.
  • The load-waived families at Schwab also include Delaware, Oppenheimer, MFS, First Eagle, Blackrock and others. Fidelity, TD Ameritrade E-Trade and IIRC Vanguard also participate to some extent as well. I hold MSFBX and SGENX among others.
  • @TSP_Transfer posted in January 2014 that MFMPX was available load-waived at Schwab and TDA, so load waivers on Morgan Stanley funds go back at least that far.

https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/comment/34581/#Comment_34581
  • Thanks. I owned MFMPX after MS open-ended the CEF, but I did not realize MS and other companies cited by our attentive participants were making many of their A shares load-waived. Now I find that selecting “no-load” only in M*’s screener may eliminate the funds that have changed stripes. Now my procedure is to use the “Purchase” screen in M* to locate the A share class and determine if it’s available load-waived.
  • I have a Fidelity account and use their screener. You can set the parameters to include tf funds , and order the results by YTD, 1 Year , 3 Year etc returns and Standard Deviation as well. I think the screener is available to non-Fidelity account holders also.
  • At least at Fidelity, with the screener, if you select NTF as a criterion, it will also give you the A-Shares available load-waved. Thornburg, Franklin Templeton, and Principal are some other fund companies that offer load-waived (NTF) A Shares at Fidelity and other companies.