Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

So, have the markets decided the Trump tariff plan is just another misguided spasm of a .....

edited March 2018 in Off-Topic
..... true apprentice of the world, who has problems with venting, too?
Obviously, the U.S. equity market recovered, as well as Europe; and the Asia futures are much happier for tomorrow, at this time.
I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Regards,
Catch

Comments

• Get over it.
  • I believe the markets have determined that either Trump won’t move forward with these inadvisable tariffs, or won’t be around long enough to see them enacted.
  • edited March 2018
    Hi @bartab
    "Get over it"; meaning???
    Sincerely, I don't follow your intention of the words.
    Such pronouncements by a U.S. president have impact upon my investments and I presume yours, too, yes? I need to know the view from a global perspective, let alone from the U.S.
    Thank you in advance for your reply.
    Catch
  • edited March 2018
    I so like the image behind bartab's handle, some fool geezer ranting at the rail.

This is good summary:

PKrug NYTimes:
    ... since Trump’s announcement, he’s tweeted out one falsehood after another. ... He has, for example, declared that we have large trade deficits with Canada; actually, according to U.S. numbers, we run a small surplus. The Europeans, he says, impose “massive tariffs” on U.S. products; the U.S. government guide to exporters tells us that “U.S. exports to the European Union enjoy an average tariff of just three percent.”
    These aren’t pesky little errors. Trump — who can get comprehensive briefings on any subject just by saying the word, but prefers to watch “Fox & Friends” instead — has a picture of world trade in his head that bears as little resemblance to reality as his vision of an America overrun by violent immigrants.
    And his notion of what to do about these imaginary problems amounts to no more than a bar stool rant. “Trade wars are good, and easy to win,” he tweeted, where he clearly thinks that “winning” means selling more to the other guy than he sells to you. That’s not how it works.
    In fact, even if we could eliminate U.S. trade deficits with tariffs, there would be lots of unpleasant side effects: sharply higher interest rates wreaking havoc on real estate and those with large debts (hello, Jared), and a sharply higher dollar inflicting severe harm on exporters, like many of America’s farmers. ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/05/opinion/trump-nuclear-weapons-trade.html
  • @catch22- It's just another one of those simplistic put-downs from the right. You see it frequently from the Trumpsters in the WSJ article commentaries. The inference is that we are still pining over the loss of the White House in the last election, and is used as a quick gloss-over to distract from the outright malevolence, ignorance and stupidity now emanating from there on a regular basis.
  • edited March 2018
    No, there is just a slam in every comment you make. It's really boring. Your days must be hell. Moran, your image is wrong. I get one glass of wine a month. Interferes with transplant meds. Every day is a blessing, and it's sad hearing crap continuously. And so much hatred. I'm glad you all have a place where you can consider yourselves so brilliant and better than anybody else.
  • @bartab

>> Moran, your image is wrong. I get one glass of wine a month. Interferes with transplant meds.

Ah, thanks, so your handle is a petit joke. Got it. Maybe consider changing either it or your wheezing bar-ranting tone? Talk about hostile.

>> and it's sad hearing crap continuously.

See if you can give a single example, k?

>> And so much hatred.

wow, not getting that from us libtards here as much as from, uh ...

>> I'm glad you all have a place where you can consider yourselves so brilliant and better than anybody else.

Is all you got, ultimately, that you feel condescended to? Is that it? Here we are discussing important business and it is your feelings about inferiority or whatever it is that matter?

Come on, you can do less weak than this. Aim toward substance again. You have before.
  • That’s better! A post where you don’t blame Trump for a single thing. Nice work.
  • To get back to the original question, I think the markets are assuming that the tariffs, like so many other Trump initiatives (he never even got that ban on immigrants from Somalia etc. passed) will never come to be, especially since Ryan et al are so opposed. I think that's optimistic. I think he actually cares about this and, unlike the immigration question, he clearly has the legal right to do it.

I also thnk political risk is growing. If Mueller hits pay dirt, Trump won't go quietly.
  • edited March 2018
    So, my bad, yes?
    I should have offered the question of uttering the imposition of a tariff by a sitting president; as to whether this is good or bad. It happens that Trump is the sitting President of this country, so yes; he must be the involved in the question. I would not care who the president might be with such a pronouncement; without the slightest inclusion of a form of intellectual background offered as to why. And no, Trump's statements about why he thinks the tariffs are necessary in his way of thinking are misguided. I would issue this same opinion if the current president were from the list of presidents I could vote for since 1968.

I'm not affiliated with a political party. There are good and bad in both major political positions in this country. I can not change this circumstance; as it has evolved over thousands of years of the presence of the "homo sapien"; and will not change. I can and do offered opinions to those elected from my state, hoping it may cause a small change of thought, but overwhelmingly, do not have any reply(s). Not related to the above, but a most recent attempt to input to our U.S. representative from an "official" site link found a pc screen message returned, indicating that the connection was not certified and should not be trusted. Ha! That message made my day about many things in DC-land.

This thread was started for the valid reason of such items (tariffs) having an effect upon our investments. This house has worked very hard to acquire some amount of financial security without the presence of inheritance or born with silver spoons in mouth.
    When a person of power utters, from a position of what I consider economic ignorance that causes harm to this house's portfolio, I/we am/are not pleased.
    We individual investors have enough problems dealing with algo's and monetary sharks of the largest kind, without having to also deal with economic ignorance from the most powerful elected position in this land. One may suppose that the tariff issue is a form of a bargaining "high position" in order to obtain some other financial goal. Perhaps we're all playing in the "Art of the Deal"!

Lastly, I thank those who offered valid comments or linkages to the question of economic impact(s) from a trade war. I will let this thread "rest" for a bit; as someone may be interested in some of the valid comments or to add addition valid comments.
    I stand by the post subject lines that the president is misguided and an apprentice on a global scale, especially with economic thought; and that the tariff announcement is in part the result of anger, discontent, a rant to vent for some reason; and from my non-Masters Degree in Economics viewpoint, I find no other reasons related to common sense to suggest tariffs as some form of an economic repair for this country.
    If economic history indicates that the current president was the most artful ever at restoring the economic well being of this country, then I will also know that I was not very smart as related to economics; and will eat all of my words from the grave.
    At some point in time today, as my schedule allows; I will request that this post be deleted, as it has degenerated too much from the original question.

Thank you for your time.
    Catch
  • @bartab,

Oh, I would gladly blame "President" Pinocchio for exacerbating as strongly and crudely as possible your feelings of being condescended to. How do you think he got elected? One of his chief legacies will be that he chumped and ginned y'all up not to feel common cause, only resentments.
  • edited March 2018
    Ahhh. Beautiful day in SF! You ought to get outside and enjoy life instead of wallowing in your bitterness.
  • @bartab- Good advice. Suggest that you follow it.
  • edited March 2018
    LOL. Heading to the Haight for lunch. I will.