Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bond Funds and rising interest rates

2»

Comments

• Interesting. Mine goes out further. And lately I have switched to counting my ladder as part of my F.I. sleeve. Perhaps to balance out my yield chasing bad impulses.
  • If one is going to the CD ladder route it sometimes is worth your while to see what your brokerage firm might be offering.
  • @mark. In an IRA it sure is easier. Sometimes pretty good deals. At least at Schwab the interest is not added to the principal so not compounding.
  • Been in and out of thopx for years. Its so stable and vanilla it's easy to overlook in a raging bond bull market. Just re-initiated my position yesterday and will add on any weakness. No worries at all, short duration plus investment grade...perfect together in this environment.
  • If one is going to the CD ladder route it sometimes is worth your while to see what your brokerage firm might be offering.
    @Mark , good point Mark, and I did that. My adviser at Schwab suggested they (Schwab) could not compete with the on-line banks for money market and CDs and said he endorsed me moving some of my IRA to get better "cash" interest rates. In fact he told me he had an account outside of Schwab with Synchroney Bank to handle his families cash. Hence my decision to open an IRA at Synchroney and create a 4-year withdrawal bucket for retirement. My Schwab robo will feed that cash account when needed using an on-line transfer, IRA to IRA, I'm told with no transfer charge.
  • Cash at Schwab is the worst but their CD Market is not. You can always find outliers at silly high rates randomly but I have built a CD ladder at Schwab that I am very happy with. Plus the CDs are at many banks as to not go over the limit. The only downside is that the interest becomes the dreaded cash at Schwab because it's not reinvested.my ladder currently has 19 CDs and when I bought each of them they were best in term .
  • Does SEMPX fit into anyones plans?
  • Looks similar to WAARX