Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Are You Buying ... Selling ... and/or Pondering? (April & May 2017)

Comments

• @Charles, you still in faafx?
  • Sold some PDI, pondering what to do with that cash. Sold some DSEEX to put into FRIFX. Some some PONDX also, ditto pondering. Doing some rebalancing in other words.
  • edited May 2017
    @expatsp. No sir, I've just posted by sad story here.

Been a while since I've contributed to this thread, so let me update:

Sold AA shortly after the company split, which I could not help think was just financial engineering, despite my respect for Kleinfeld. He's since left the company after an embarrassing incident with Elliott Management.

After the election, I made more money in a short period of time than I want to admit since it benefited from the Trump bump. I was seriously heavy long-time holding BAC. I sold most after it spiked to $22. I just sold last of it this week, which I owned since 2011, at $23.

I continue to watch GE, XOM, OXY, and SYF, but I do not own any individual equities.

I've been watching the Saudi ETF KSA as well.

Nor do I own any individual bonds. I did own some short-duration bonds briefly since my last post. I found the experience interesting and learned a bit about trading individual bonds. Did OK.

Right now, I'm pulling a Junkster with most of my portfolio in the popular PIMIX.

I own only three other funds: SIGIX, DODBX, and FSICX.
  • edited May 2017
    Oh, almost forgot ...

At risk of frustrating my friend Ed,

I invested a little in two properties via the crowdfunding entity PeerStreet.
  • Hi guys!
    Have sold VIEIX. It's been a fund I've had for a while. The small and mid caps are stalling. Last week's downturn was ugly. So, it's time again to part with this fund. It was a pivot play where money was added. Now I think it's time to say hasta la vista, baby, and move on. I'm still looking at VWINX but it's been moving up.....just my luck. Money, with no place to go.....lol. Just saying....13 positions in the port---10 are at 52-week highs. Playing defense and kiss right now. How's that saying go? Things don't matter 'til they do.....and you won't be ready.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited May 2017
    Hi all, longtime reader first time commenter here. I’m tweaking some of my mutual fund allocations, and would love to hear if anyone hear has any thoughts on the funds for the below purposes.

I’d especially be interested in what people think of allocating to GIOIX for US credit and Templeton Global Bond for int’l fixed income. I was thinking of going with an EM fund (probably TCW EM Income) instead of Templeton in the current environment, but think I’d rather have a fund with more flexibility (and I’m comfortable with the fact Hassenstab takes big out, often out of consensus, bets). Similarly, if there are any mutli asset credit funds that people prefer that would be great to hear. I realize that I don’t have much traditional fixed income in the below, but I have a fairly large amount in cash right now.

I’ve also been thinking of using DSEEX for large cap value.

For context, I’m in my early thirties but may be looking to buy a home in the next few years. I also have some other positions (mostly LC US growth) that I’m not currently allocating to but don’t want to sell because of the tax hit, and also have a variety of US/Int’l stock funds I allocate to in my 401k, which is where I’m more likely to make sector tilts occasionally. Overall of the money that's invested, which is around 50% of my assets, I'm around 80% equities / 20% fixed income

Sorry for the kind of open ended question, and thanks for any thoughts.

The below are in tax sheltered accounts:
    Alternatives – QSPIX & QLEIX
    US taxable credit – GIOIX
    Global bonds – Templeton Global Bond

In taxable accounts:
    Go anywhere - FPACX
    Domestic large cap growth – POGRX
    Foreign Small Cap - QUSIX
    Domestic mid cap – VEVYX
    Domestic small cap - PLOIX
    Muni bond - MANKX
    EM - SIGIX
    Foreign large cap value - OAKIX
    Foreign large cap growth – JOHIX

EDIT: Let me know if this is more appropriate as a separate topic. Thanks again all.
  • @Josh
    I can comment, somewhat, on Templeton Global Bond (I own a variable annuity version) . I like it and the manager, though it can be volatile! I would venture to guess that you get a LARGE percentage of EM bonds already with this fund, and I believe the manager makes currency bets as well! I do not own a dedicated EM bond fund, and I would feel comfortable adding to my current position in the Templeton fund. Good luck.
  • I wound up putting the 'spare' money into DSENX, which I shall 'convert' to DSEEX after it settles; Fido now lets one do that if the sums are enough
    @davidmoran, how much $ is enough for conversion? Is there a fee? Hard to imagine Fidelity would do it would charging you a fee.
  • @Sven
    I have done it at Fidelity, with numerous other funds, without ANY fee or cost associated... straight share class conversion which does NOT generate any tax liability either! Usually you need to meet the min. initial investment for the share class you are attempting to convert to. Fidelity rep. has stated to me that they first need to contact fund family to get approval???
  • edited May 2017

@Josh
    I can comment, somewhat, on Templeton Global Bond (I own a variable annuity version) . I like it and the manager, though it can be volatile! I would venture to guess that you get a LARGE percentage of EM bonds already with this fund, and I believe the manager makes currency bets as well! I do not own a dedicated EM bond fund, and I would feel comfortable adding to my current position in the Templeton fund. Good luck.

Thanks very much, that's helpful. As I'm not so much looking for bonds to act as ballast given the cash portion of the portfolio I'm comfortable with the volatility.

I'd been pretty happy with the idea of GIOIX, but the Pimco Income Fund and Performance Trust guys have seemed compelling to (hadn't seen them before since they end up in a different lipper category event though I'd consider them all US focused multisector fixed income).

I may at some point look to add a more traditional bond allocation (i.e. one negatively correlated to equities) but with where rates are right now I'm hesitant
  • @Sven, what the MCPO said.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @davidmoran and MPCO, thank you. That would make thing easier.
  • GIOIX is great. I own it and like the fact that the duration is under one.
    Guggenheim has several other good bond funds worth exploring.
  • Thanks @Maurice and @Mitchel. I do like both funds a lot from an aesthetic point of view, but realize I probably don't need that much credit exposure at my age. Will continue to think about it. I'd prefer to invest with an active fund in FI, though realize that I should index more of my equity holdings.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • right
    this is why RSP, RPV, and RPG are so attractive
  • I sold VRX. Bought F and SND. I saw T Boone bought SND around $12 so at $10 it looked good to me. Almost immediately went to $9.50, oh well. Buying low. F at under $11 figures to be a 5.3% dividend. Not bad.
  • @brbrock
    Do you mind me asking if you made money on VRX???
  • Not at all. It was actually a bit of a ride. Original bought at $13.50. It went to $17 in just a few week. I had a sell in which I missed by two cents the day before they announced first quarter earnings. They beat earnings but announced reduced guidance and so the stock got hammered. It fell into the $8.50 level. I bought more at $11, $10 and $9. Sold all at $14. Made about 18% in just over 4 months. Would have made 25% in a month if I'd sold at $17.
  • Thanks. Congrats! Wild ride!
  • edited May 2017
    catch22 said:

So, @VintageFreak

Your ANALysis indicates that healthcare has run its course for now???

No it is still good. I just have strict buy / sell discipline. This is a trade for me. I sold FSPHX because I don't fight the tape, but I still hold VGHCX.

This is no different than what I do with my other ANALysis in my retirement account. My models tell me what I should do, but if market behaves in other direction I don't fight it. Either the condition clears, or I will act with delayed reaction. So for instance 1/3 of my model is midcaps 2/3 is largecap. I don't do small cap. Right now 1/3 midcap still says sell, so I should be 66% invested, but since $MID not misbehaving too much, I'm still at 80% odd invested. If $MID misbehaves I will rachet down to 66%, if condition clears I go back to 100%, and by that time my ANALysis will also tell me that.

It is really simple. I probably made it sound more complicated.
  • RSAFX and SEEDX have announced their closing. So put in sell orders for both. Buying two funds I've been waiting to buy, GAVAX and WHGIX. GAVAX I used to own before but had taken profits. Gave up trying to look for better entry point. The proceeds the two sells I'm not investing 100%, so if my timing is off I have money to average down.

In any case GAVAX and WHGIX seem to be volatility averse and each seems unique in how it invests.
  • @BenWP,

Did you ever buy any D_EUX? I have not.
  • Sold MSCBX as I have too many balanced/asset allocation funds. I'm trying to whittle it down a bit.
  • @willmatt72- Do I hear a faint chortling sound coming from somewhere near Chicago? :)
  • edited June 2017
    Entering today 60% IOFIX and 40% PONDX. I must have a thing for non agency RMBS. I notice a board fave PTIAX is now heavy there too.
  • edited June 2017
    If anybody has any thoughts on OQGAX I'd enjoy hearing them. Have a little sitting at Oppenheimer in short-term bonds (Class A) and it's the first time in a while I haven't been losing $$ with them.:) On the other hand, it's not a very good use of Roth money.

I Initially thought OQGAX might fit in with my natural resources sleeve. But it's had a much better run than that category in the past year since Oppenheimer began offering it. (+14% YTD). Actually, the recent hot performance causes me some concern. Found its Annual Report for '08 (before Oppenheimer took it over) and it fell about 50% - in line with Price's New Era (PRNEX).

Just curious.

(Edit/Delete)
  • @hank- OK, don't buy passive funds as active managers are certain to outperform!:)
  • edited June 2017
    @OJ - I tried to delete my smart a** remark but you're just too quick. BTW: I agree with your earlier assessment that Ol' MJG is a generally good fellow. I know he brings a great deal to the board. And wouldn't want to return to the old days of constant confrontation.

I don't regret using sanctimonious in my heated post a few days back, as I thought it fit the moment. But I do regret assailing three of his sacred cows. We all have them. And attacking a fella's sacred cows is a bit like attacking a fella's motherhood. Shouldn't go there. Should've known better. Sorry @MJG if you're listening.