Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Do I Really Have To Watch This?

13»

Comments

• edited March 2017
    MaryKay said:

pseudo intellectuals

You really hit the hornets nest of pseudo intellectuals; among them Old_Joe, DavidMoran and MikeM. Watch how they come at you. They can not discuss it directly or with facts; only with emotion and derisive (google it Old_Joe) comments.

This is good example. A failure all around as a post.
    The 'Oh my gosh'; you talk about a voice he talks about 'accomplishments', and then throws in that you are biased (and he can not possibly be because he is an 'intellectual'). Finally you derailed the thread because you dare to have a different opinion then the 'intellectuals' here.

Good luck!
    MikeM said:

...he is giving voice to... most notably the inner city, underpaid, and African Americans.
    Oh my gosh, that did bring a chuckle.

@MaryKay, he hasn't accomplished anything yet! Just words so far, and many scary words are out-Trumping the good ones. Oh well, we all have bias and you are entitled to yours.... and this thread WAS going so well.
  • edited March 2017
    hank said:

DanHardy said:

How would the wall compromise a job package.I don't remember a specific job package. I remember changing the environment, fair trade, corp tax changes that will help employment.

Dan - This is what I was referring to: "To launch our national rebuilding, I will be asking the Congress to approve legislation that produces a $1 trillion investment in the infrastructure of the United States -- financed through both public and private capital --- creating millions of new jobs."

I was suggesting that the wall, being thousands of miles long, might qualify as infrastructure, and might be funded with some of this $1 trillion. (I think Congress is going to love this plan.):
    Thanks.
    Infrastructure needs to be repaired. But, as to job creation, I'm not sure it does much. Building roads etc to create jobs is a holdover from the depression when there was less mechanization. Trumps plan to buy American (e.g. pipes for Keystone) may be more helpful then in the past when that was not a criteria.

I would like to see some programs like the CCC for the long term unemployed.

• I don't need to google "derisive", Dex. You're one of my best derision generators!
  • MaryKay, others have already started filling in the blanks so I won't add at this time except to say that your champion has consistently degraded women, Hispanics and muslims since his candidacy began. It's not the party I resist, I expect those regime changes. It's this guy and his lack of common sense and human decency.
  • edited March 2017
    "Infrastructure needs to be repaired. But, as to job creation, I'm not sure it does much. Building roads etc to create jobs is a holdover from the depression when there was less mechanization."

Now that's a fair point. It's certainly true that the quantity of jobs associated with repairing infrastructure is nothing like it was during the 1930s. Those depression jobs, while plentiful, were at a minimum wage designed mostly to keep people from going hungry.

Today those jobs require many skilled equipment operators, who command a pretty decent salary. Additionally, the equipment itself is costly, providing additional good jobs in it's manufacture and maintenance.

There's a lot of repair and maintenance work that's been deferred for too long, and needs to be done.
  • Really enjoy the threads about investing but the political stuff has hijacked the discussion boards. Just look at the number of comments on investing-related threads compared to ACA, Trump and the Media and this particular thread. This site is turning into the Huffington Post or Breitbart.
  • edited March 2017
    @willmatt72-

The title of this discussion, appropriately enough, is "Do I Really Have To Watch This?"

The answer is "No!" If you simply click on "Fund Discussions" under "Categories" in the box to the left on the main page you will never even see these Off-Topic discussions. The choice is entirely yours.
  • The political tone here has even been noted on other investing forums. It's not just local.

Great speech. The markets loved it and will continue to rally. Never mind the President Trump curmudgeons here. They will never be happy.
  • Have also noticed comments on other investment forums about the political tone on MFO. They decided not to join because of it. Also an earlier comment questioned the 94 million out of the labor force, the actual number is 95,406,000 as of 1/31/2017 according to bureau of labor statistics.
  • 'out of labor force' includes all us retirees and kids in high school. Laughable to throw that number out anywhere, much less on TV.

It's easy to avoid these discussions. Let the other forums see if they have the mfund content, data, and wisdom of this one.

Funny how people rail against these threads when they have such high participation numbers.

>> They can not discuss it directly or with facts

@DH, that's chiefly what most of us do. Direct and factual. You should aim your energy elsewhere, starting perhaps at those who throw around 'pseudointellectual'.
  • Is a pseudo intellectual anything like an alternate fact? :)
  • edited March 2017
    An excerpt from a current Associated Press article in the San Francisco Chronicle:

Republicans in Pence's Indiana warn of health repeal fallout

"Republican legislative leaders in Indiana are warning that repealing the Affordable Care Act could unravel a program for poor residents that Vice President Mike Pence implemented as governor, a conservative blueprint for expanding Medicaid under the federal law.

Indiana House Speaker Brian Bosma and GOP Senate leader David Long both said this week that tens of thousands of poor people could lose their insurance if Republicans in Washington enact some of the ideas they're discussing for repealing President Barack Obama's signature health care law.

"It's reality hitting home," Long, a Republican from Fort Wayne, said Wednesday. "... The issue of the working poor is real. It's not going to be easy."

More curmudgeons and pseudo intellectuals, no doubt.
  • Old_Joe said:

@willmatt72-

The title of this discussion, appropriately enough, is "Do I Really Have To Watch This?"

The answer is "No!" If you simply click on "Fund Discussions" under "Categories" in the box to the left on the main page you will never even see these Off-Topic discussions. The choice is entirely yours.

Understood. The point of my post was that the political discussions have taken over most of the energy from this board. The investing topics seem to have taken a back seat. That's unfortunate. As you were.
  • "As you were"

@willmatt72: Sounds like you did a stint in the military. USCG on my part. At ease.
  • @willmatt72: Yes, John was USCG also.:)