Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Barron's Roundtable

13»

Comments

• @Danhardy
    Can you show me the quotes where you included the word 'illegal' when refering to my quotes? I don't see any. Thanks
    They are all above this discussion. I'm not going to quote you every one if you are too lazy to actually read what people are saying before you sound off about it.
  • @Danhardy

Can you show me the quotes where you included the word 'illegal' when refering to my quotes? I don't see any. Thanks
    They are all above this discussion. I'm not going to quote you every one if you are too lazy to actually read what people are saying before you sound off about it.
    You may think it is there but it is not, sorry.

• @DanHardy At this point I'm going to have to assume you're either lying, can't read or just willfully trying to irritate me. I'm going with the latter:

LewisBraham
    January 31 Flag
    @Dan You're right-Author Barry Glassner of the book you cite has exposed a lot of America's irrational fears. Among them, the fear of illegal immigrants and Muslims:

https://lclark.edu/live/news/34757-our-commitment-to-support-students-regardless-of

http://nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2015/12/15/are-americans-fears-legitimate/fear-has-always-been-a-marketing-tool-in-the-us

LewisBraham
    11:04AM edited 11:12AM Flag
    Post-materialism is a euphemism for another euphemism--identity politics. The elite right-wing strategy has always been divide and conquer over race since Bacon's Rebellion in 1676 made the elites worry about a class uprising. Click here:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon's_Rebellion
    In the 19th century and the early 20th this strategy belonged to the Democrats and the Republicans were the liberals. Post LBJ it's the Republican "Southern Strategy." Click here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy
    But I suspect DanHardy knows this already and is just bringing up the 19th century Democrats to win an argument by any means necessary. He acknowledges that fear of illegal immigrants and Muslims is irrational here and yet in other threads claims they are a threat. So which is the truth? Or does it even matter?

LewisBraham
    12:07PM edited 12:08PM Flag
    No Dan, you got my quote wrong. I said: "He acknowledges that fear of illegal immigrants and Muslims is irrational here and yet in other threads claims they are a threat." Illegal immigrants is a less offensive term for the "aliens" you use. And it is precisely this irrational fear of "illegals" that Glassner, your hero, is writing about.

• LewisBraham
    12:07PM edited 12:08PM Flag
    No Dan, you got my quote wrong. I said: "He acknowledges that fear of illegal immigrants and Muslims is irrational here and yet in other threads claims they are a threat." Illegal immigrants is a less offensive term for the "aliens" you use. And it is precisely this irrational fear of "illegals" that Glassner, your hero, is writing about.

And where my quote about Muslims you mention?

• edited February 2017
    @DanHardy, Fine, I'll admit I can't find any remark from you about Muslims if you admit that you have made comments about illegal immigrants and that while you are busy telling Crash "to stop living in fear" because of Glassner's work you need to stop living in fear of "illegal aliens" as Glassner thinks that fear is irrational too. Fear of illegal immigrants is all just a bunch of right-wing media hype or "fake news" as you're fond of saying.

I just took out the words "and Muslims" in the sentence "He acknowledges that fear of illegal immigrants and Muslims..." in my original post as you're right about that. Now you can work on your irrational fears of illegal immigrants.
  • @DanHardy, Fine, I'll admit I can't find any remark from you about Muslims if you admit that you have made comments about illegal immigrants and that while you are busy telling Crash "to stop living in fear" because of Glassner's work you need to stop living in fear of "illegal aliens" as Glassner thinks that fear is irrational too. Fear of illegal immigrants is all just a bunch of right-wing media hype or "fake news" as you're fond of saying.

I just took out the words "and Muslims" in the sentence "He acknowledges that fear of illegal immigrants and Muslims..." in my original post as you're right about that. Now you can work on your irrational fears of illegal immigrants.

I accept your apology for the Muslims comment you made.

Now please find where I wrote 'I or you should fear illegal aliens.' If you can not find it I would also accept your apology for that. Also, please do not take it out of context. I believe you are better than that.

• @DanHardy Sorry, no apology for that. You have stoked irrational fear of them with your comments as DavidMoran and others have pointed out.
  • edited February 2017

@DanHardy Sorry, no apology for that. You have stoked irrational fear of them with your comments as DavidMoran and others have pointed out.

Said another way - I never said it.

• edited February 2017
    @DanHardy It's been pointed out already that your arguments that illegal immigrants "bring down wages and take jobs" Americans want as opposed to jobs Americans don't want don't hold water. It is precisely those irrational fears used to stoke the hate. Stop living in fear of foreigners, Dan. Just embrace your inner child.
  • @DanHardy It's been pointed out already that your arguments that illegal immigrants "bring down wages and take jobs" Americans want as opposed to jobs Americans don't want don't hold water. It is precisely those irrational fears used to stoke the hate. Stop living in fear of foreigners, Dan. Just embrace your inner child.

Lewis,
    I know you wish to partake in these discussions. However, we've spent most of the time trying to get you to clarify what you are trying to say, correcting your errors and your apologies.
    Let's end this here and agree in the future you will endeavor to clearly and concisely make your point.
    Thanks
  • @DanHardy I understand you're afraid and that facts bother you, Dan. I'm so sorry. Just remember the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
  • @DanHardy I understand you're afraid and that facts bother you, Dan. I'm so sorry. Just remember the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

I'm sorry to say you even got the intent of that quote wrong.

" So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."

None of my comments fit into the above. Quite the opposite. I am have show my willingness to examine the facts and put forth my views - concisely and effectively.

• edited February 2017
    @DanHardy I'm sorry you're so frightened. It will be OK. Just remember every time you think this when you hear about illegal immigrants, image
    know that it is all an irrational fake-news induced fear and that your hero Barry Glassner would tell you to take a deep breath and move on with your life. It will be OK, Dan. Do you need a hug?
This discussion has been closed.