Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Stop-loss orders to be eliminated on the NYSE in February

edited November 2015 in Off-Topic
Oh boy.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-18/nyse-kills-land-mine-order-type-some-blame-for-august-mayhem

Stop orders -- or instructions to immediately trade once a stock hits a certain price, even if the price is far worse than the one on the order -- will no longer be available starting on Feb. 26, NYSE said this week.
On Aug. 24, “retail investors who had standing stop-loss orders were especially impacted -- once the stop price was reached, the orders were converted into market orders, which were often executed at prices that were markedly lower than the stop price,” according to BlackRock’s report.

NYSE is also discontinuing a type of order called "good-till-canceled" that remain active until an investor decides to cancel it or the trade has been executed, the exchange said in its notification this week.

Comments

• stupid move. stupid stupid stupid. like i said, stupid.
  • @linter On those occasions when the family goes dysfunctional, we can't hold the adults in the room accountable, because that's who delivers the Big Bacon to us. Sooooo, I guess we go to Option B--- get the stick, and go give the redheaded stepchild a good beating?

Here's Blackrock's "analysis" (without quantifiable support for their conclusions)
    http://www.blackrock.com/corporate/en-us/literature/whitepaper/viewpoint-us-equity-market-structure-october-2015.pdf
  • edited November 2015
    Let me make sure that I've got this right: traditional trading options that protected the small investor are being removed because they overwhelm the marketplace, but as many automated rapid-trades as desired by the large players are no problem at all?
  • I believe GTC orders will be eliminated also. We small investors must really be screwing up Wall Street.
  • edited November 2015
    Old_Joe said:

Let me make sure that I've got this right: traditional trading options that protected the small investor are being removed because they overwhelm the marketplace, but as many automated rapid-trades as desired by the large players are no problem at all?

Yep. Apparently Nasdaq doing the same thing.

(long ICE)