Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

RPHYX / RSIVX: New commentary explains mistakes that resulted in credit losses

http://www.riverparkfunds.com/downloads/News/RiverPark-Cohanzick_3Q15_Shareholder_Letter.pdf

- RPHYX was hurt by Goodman Networks, a pre-IPO company that the manager thought would be a "money-good" investment until the company's largest customer cut back on orders, and the company cancelled its IPO plans. RPHYX has since reduced its position in the company.

- RSIVX was hurt by three problems: (i) Goodman Networks, as above, (ii) Verso/NewPage, a bet on a merger between two paper companies that ended up getting dragged out and weakened by regulatory review, and (iii) Hunt Companies, a real estate firm that had promised to get credit ratings for its bonds, but then decided to keep its ratings private. RSIVX has reduced its positions in Goodman and Verso/NewPage, but the manager believes Hunt is still a "money-good" investment and is adding more.

My quick takeaways:

- Those who thought the funds' NAV drop was just due to "mark-to-market" pricing problems are going to be disappointed. It seems the manager has thrown in the towel on Goodman (for both) and Verso/NewPage (for RSIVX); they have already sold off at least some of those bonds, so those losses are locked in. For Hunt, the manager is optimistic, but I don't understand the rationale for the company wanting to keep its ratings private.

- Despite the manager's emphasis on making "money-good" investments, it is pretty clear that there are significant risks involved in the funds' investments. Presumably this is still much less than what a typical high-yield bond fund goes through.

- Although the funds are relatively diversified (compared to say, ZEOIX), it's a good reminder of how even just one mistake can impact the funds' performance.

For what it's worth, I continue to hold RPHYX, but have been considering switching or splitting with ZEOIX.

Comments

• Thanks for posting, @clamui. It's good the manager is honest about his mistakes, but it is disappointing. I think your takeaways are wise. I've still got my retired mother in RSIVX, but it is only one of three bond funds I have her in for income.

RPHYX I hold, and it's outperforming money market with only a tad higher volatility, so I remain satisfied with it and hopeful that it will soon outperform some of its peers.
  • Is it possible that to much inflow ($$$) causes the managers to reach out to far. On the other hand I don't expect him to bat 1000 %.
    Derf
  • @claimui thanks for this post. I had suspected the volatility might be due to holding thinly traded but "money good" bonds. This info reminds me of a comment Junkster made that basically predicted this outcome. I will think some more about current investment in RSIVX.
  • msf
    edited October 2015
    I'm inclined to concur with Derf. The comments about investment grade bonds also defaulting did not make me comfortable, especially since they seemed to be telling only half the story.

Sure there are few AAA rated US corporates now, but that could be because of the sovereign ceiling (generally corporate bonds are not rated more highly than their country's debt). Exceptions are rarely made, and only when it can be shown that a default by the nation would not adversely impact the corporation's ability to service its debt.

That seems hard to do for financials. The report made a point of saying no financials are AAA rated, yet NY Life gets a AAA rating from three of four NRSRO. Only S&P rates it lower. Guess which ratings firm downgraded US sovereign debt.

There's a pie chart that purports to show that 25% of defaulted debt was originally rated investment grade. (The accompanying text says 26%.) But without more, one has to wonder whether this is a cooked number. It doesn't show the odds of investment grade debt defaulting vs. other debt defaulting. So it is useless in supporting the thesis presented that ratings are "less than indicative" of future defaults.

For example, suppose that $25B of debt issued (based on par value) were investment grade, and 1% of that defaulted over its lifetime. Suppose further that $6B of non-investment grade bonds were issued, and 12.5% of that defaulted over its lifetime.

You'd surely conclude that investment grade vs. non-investment grad was a good indicator of default probability. Yet there would be $1B in defaults: $250M of investment grade, and $750M of junk. So, 25% of the defaults would have been investment grade bonds.

• I chatted with Mr. Sherman a bit just before the publication of his quarterly letter. It seems to me that there are four factors weakening his relative performance:

1. mistaken judgments about three individual issues. On whole, those sort of goofs have been rare but when your performance edge might be fractions of a percent a year, they count. In this case, the goofs have cost nearly 380 bps. The fund trails its peers this year by 125 bps. He's written-off one, anticipates partial recovery in a second and hopes for full recovery in a third (Hunt).

2. herding in the high-yield space. In the first week of October, HY mutual funds saw $700 million in withdrawals but HY ETFs saw $1.4 billion in inflows. That dramatically boosted issues represented in the major ETFs but left orphan issues largely in the dust. It also may presage hot money trading in the sector.

3. a not-very-coherent peer group. Multi-sector bond, like "miscellaneous region," covered a huge variety of disparate strategies and asset allocations. In Mr. Sherman's case, his allocations differ dramatically from the peer group's in 16 of 17 bond sub-categories. On his allocation to BBB-rated bonds (21%) is typical.

4. a substantial commitment to ultra-conservative issues. About 40% of the portfolio overlaps the far more conservative Short Term High Yield fund and those issues aren't subject to the sort of rebound that longer-dated ones are.

The portfolio has a yield-to-maturity of 8.57%, rather better than its high-yield benchmark.

For me, the questions are (1) is there a systemic problem with the fund? And (2) what's the appropriate time-frame for assessing the fund's performance? I don't see one with the former, though we're scheduled to meet Mr. Sherman in November and will talk more. On the latter, the best bogey I've got is Osterweis Strategic Income (OSTIX), which Mr. Sherman considers a legitimate peer. In their worst stretch, it took them nine months to recover from a drawdown. Since OSTIX is still below its previous high, the drawdown underway now might last longer. So maybe this is your "in a year or two" money, which implies judging performance over a couple year cycle.

For what interest that holds,

David

• FWIW, RSIVX is underperforming OSTIX by about 3% so far this year after outperforming it by around 2.6% last year. So this is no disaster though I do own it and I am a bit disappointed in two permanent losses of capital in a market that hasn't had all that many blow ups so far. If the discounts for closed end funds like DSL and BGH hold up for the rest of the year, come January I'll be sorely tempted to accept the greater risk and move there from RSIVX (tax considerations preclude me from considering it now).
  • beebee
    edited October 2015
    @David_Snowball,

Just picking up on your thoughts for OSTIX as part of someone's "in a year or two" money. I went a bit further and added other time frames as well as other fund considerations to create kind of a "fund ladder".

For less than 1 year money - PSHDX, BSBSX, FOSIX,
    For 1 year money - RPHYX / RSIVX...or, maybe FIRJX or DLSNX
    For 1-2 year money - OSTIX,
    For 3-5 year money - PONDX, FAGIX

Anyone have thoughts on what your "fund ladder" might consist of?
  • Take a look at SCFIX (Shenkman Short Duration High Income Fund). Up to over $100m in AUM. Shenkman goes back decades in high yield and has a very loyal, deep following in the institutional world. Fits in the 1-2 year time period, cash good bonds. Low vol
  • SCFAX is the retail version. It'll turn three years old this week. Good performance, seems steady. Looks like Schwab might be the only way around the front load, unless TD knows of a different path?

David
  • Don't know that answer as I use Schwab.
  • It looks to me like this is a difficult environment for fixed income. I'm losing more on DODIX than I am on RPHYX. Seems like it's necessary to take a view on rates before deciding on an investment strategy. Then you either win or lose depending on whether your view is right.
  • RE: RSIVX and RPHYX, nothing is working for me this year.
  • It's been a rough three months for my largest holding Angel Oak Flexible Income fund ANFLX. It seemed (might still be) a promising young fund with an unconstrained approach from a good bond family. I thought of it as a young ANGLX. It is heavy into structured credit.

Mike_E
  • edited October 2015
    I’ve a different take on the Riverpark commentary. I’ve had an unwanted degree of familiarity for some time, with Verso, Newpage and the now-merged entity, due to my ‘day-job’. (and please excuse me, a lot of this is based on recollection). Riverpark’s explanation of the problems at Verso are incongruous with my perception/experience with them.

(Old-) Verso and the merged Verso have been bleeding cash perpetually. Without the merger, Verso would probably likely have had a “corporate event” already. Newpage itself, had entered, then emerged from BK a few years ago. Its trip through BK, allowed Newpage to de-lever somewhat. So along comes Verso, somewhat like a parasitic organism to extract Newpage’s cash to prolong its own existence.

Riverpark’s commentary states that Verso has “exceeded expectations with respect to achieving synergies (of the merger)”. I can tell you with certainty that is a (Verso-) management talking point they put out when their horrific Q2-2015 results came out. – Trying to seduce investors to have faith in a management team, DESPITE the poor results. Riverpark is just parroting Verso’s earnings release/presentation materials, presumably taking it at face value. I viewed the “exceeding expectations” comment from Verso as an indictment --- if they were ahead of the curve in terms of slashing costs, and STILL their reported results were so poor, then they must REALLY be in trouble – and presumably the low-hanging fruit of the synergies has been done. (So not much more to be done to help them.)

As part of the merger (which, I believe closed in January) they did some type of bond exchange. Seem to recall the effect of it was to cram down a principal haircut on some bondholders. In return, the bondholders got a token lump-sum cash-out payment (further draining the merged entity of needed liquidity!!), and higher interest rates on the “new” bonds, some/much of it PIK, not cash. Possibly also a lightening of covenants. Why would you want to lend to a borrower who is doing a principal haircut of its debt? Isn’t that a major red-flag?

A key problem is ownership – Verso is controlled by private-equity firm Apollo. If memory serves, Apollo had large (likely controlling) stakes in both Newpage and Verso. Apollo has a particularly ugly history of asset-stripping companies which it controls, leaving them debt-hobbled to such a degree that servicing the debts eventually becomes impossible. The (predictable-) outcome occurs frequently enough with Apollo, that I view it as a standard Apollo business model. I’ve seen them play this game time and again. Verso, like Apollo’s prior ‘projects’ need not face bankruptcy – all that needs to happen is for Apollo to a)buy a substantial amount of Verso’s bonds at the steep discount provided by Mr. Market, then b) surrender it to Verso in return for equity. In this way, Verso could de-lever. It’s remaining bonds would no doubt substantially rebound in price, lowering its cost of capital.

But doing so, is not in Apollo’s playbook. They extract cash, they don’t contribute cash. I could readily cite other ‘red flags’ over the past year on Verso, but am running long. Attributing Verso’s problems to the regulators is diverting blame. By the way, why didn’t Riverpark mention Apollo, its control of Verso, and its sordid history with other investments?

I’ve a small ‘stub’ holding in RPHYX, having sold most of it earlier in the year as junk spreads kept widening. At that time, also sold a ‘starter position’ in RSIVX which was doing nothing. I was contemplating adding to my RPHYX position shortly, as I suspect junk may continue to be buoyed. Frankly, I’d no idea Verso was a significant holding of Riverpark’s. That it was (is ?) is troubling to me, given my familiarity with Verso -- Verso was never (in the past 3 years) a credit that a prudent portfolio manager would own – at least not without hedging it (possibly by shorting the equity).

After reading the Riverpark commentary, I am rather dis-inclined to add to my Riverpark position at this time. Their explanation of Verso is absent some critical understanding of what they invested my money in. Verso should have been a VERY EASY problem to keep out of the portfolio.
  • edited October 2015
    @Edmond Thanks for this. The insight of someone who actually knows these companies is a rarity, and much appreciated. @David_Snowball, perhaps you could bring up Verso when you talk to Mr. Sherman?
  • I have to agree RPHYX and RSIVX are "hold" for me. I'm not going to add any more money at least for a couple of years, assuming I will still hold until then.
  • I'm disappointed to say the least; some of these investments (like Verso) sound particularly troublesome and perhaps not researched as well as they should have been. It's going to take some time for RPHYX and RSIVX (both of which I hold) to recover from this, and I won't lie; I'm tempted to take the tax loss.
  • Yes, I am slightly displeased by RPHYX and RSIVX's performance. However, they are still a hold for me.

And also a candidate for some tax loss harvesting. I'll be rolling my investments in Strategic Income into High Yield, waiting the requisite 30 days, and then rolling back.
  • edited November 2015
    @Edmond Thanks for the details. When Apollo, or Bain Capital, or private eq like them, get involved in a company's "turn-around" story, then may God or somebody have mercy on that company's soul. Most likely looking at the beginning of a Battan death march for that company, and the only thing that will be turning is earth by shovel, as their grave is prepared. Surprised the Sherman team got sucked into that one.
  • I mulled over the letter a bit more and had some further thoughts on the three mistakes. As mentioned, I only hold RPHYX, but given the funds share the same manager (and have substantial overlap), it's worth keeping tabs on both.

- Goodman: The problems mentioned in the letter -- IPO withdrawn, largest customer cancelling orders -- seem to me that they should have been equity risks, not credit risks. A company that cannot pay off its bondholders without completing an IPO and selling lots of product hardly strikes me as being "money-good." Was there some kind of convertible upside for these bonds (perhaps in the IPO) to justify this risk? Even then, I would not think it is suitable for the objectives of RPHYX.

- Versa/NewPage: Edmond's perspective is excellent, and I have nothing to add for this one.

- Hunt: I am a little troubled that the manager attributes this to a "mark-to-market" situation. I can understand if there was a fall in price solely due to a large bondholder suddenly liquidating and a shortage of buyers (for reasons unrelated to the company itself). But Mr. Sherman says the price was due to the company decided not to release is credit rating. Again I do not understand the rationale for the company's decision, but as an example, if Apple stops giving iPhone sales figures and the stock price drops because investors think it raises a red flag, I don't think you get to call that a "mark-to-market" problem.

Taking this a little further, I wonder what Mr. Sherman's initial assessments of these companies indicated. As others have pointed out, perhaps the large size of the fund means that Mr. Sherman cannot invest only in truly "money-good" opportunities, and he needs to put some money in in riskier issues than he would have preferred? Might be a point in favor of a smaller fund like ZEOIX.
  • Thanks to all the posters. After reviewing them and the 3rd quarter commentary, I decided to reduce my allocation to RPHYX. I now have $2 in ZEOIX for each $1 in RPHYX. However, as I had expected RSIVX to be higher risk and more volatile, I am inclined to leave that investment alone for another year to see how it performs going forward (assuming no more self inflicted wounds come to light during that period).
  • edited November 2015
    How many of us bought RSIVX believing the managers would buy conservative investments and avoid risky situations, while minimizing the downside when interest rates rose? I've kicked this fund to the curb. Good riddance!
  • Without taking a closer look at the specific holdings, I'll just give my instinctive feeling about the fund's issues. Basically a cop-out: the issues seem like a little bit all of the above.

The fund is supposed to hold around 50% in bonds that are due in under 90 days (or are expected to be called in that short a time). Sounds a little like prerefunded, but clearly more risky (no stash of cash backing up payments). The book value of a company is supposed to be enough to cover 100% of the bond's value, but that depends on the company's business (is it bleeding cash and so reducing book value, did it just fail to increase book value due to a failed IPO, etc.) And even if a company can cover bond payments if it goes bust (book value exceeding bond value), that doesn't mean it will go through bankruptcy and pay off when the bonds mature.

Remember too that most of the bonds held are junk. That rating can include expected defaults, even for truly "money good" bonds. The fund has an interesting strategy, and one that should generally work well in small doses (thus the concern raised by a poster above about the fund being too large). But by definition, junk bonds, even ultra short ones, carry risk.

I'm still uncomfortable about the explanations given. Maybe I'm just looking for something along the lines: there is judgment involved here, otherwise we could not get this sort of yield. Judgment isn't 100% perfect - even when everything looks good, stuff happens. Here's what happened in these cases ...

I figured that the yield was good enough to provide a buffer in case of a blow up (i.e. it would still come out better than a bank account). So far, that's true, but without much margin of error left, at least until the fund resumes performing better.

• "but without much margin of error left, at least until the fund resumes performing better."

@msf: Yes.
  • The one thing I would upset me / please me, is knowing if manager reduced / increased his own holdings. When something like this happens, and as an investor I want to be re-assured, the most important words I want to hear in manager communication is "...i bought more shares for my personal account...".

Come on, Mr. Sherman. Give!
  • Question for David Snowball -- In your November commentary, you informed that we may have a conference call this month with David Sherman, portfolio manager of RPHYX and RSIVX. Have you fixed the date and time for it? It would be very timely to hear Sherman's thoughts on the funds' recent performance as well as any expectations as we move forward.

Mohan
  • edited November 2015
    Update: On 11/16/2015, Verso released its Q3 results.

Included in the results were management comments (essentially) that Verso is "going concern" risk and that they don't have adequate liquidity and that "restructuring" is a real possibility.

I don't recall seeing that verbiage in earlier press releases.

Foreseeable. Predictable. Apollo Investments does it again!
  • I have reduced my holdings a bit this year
  • I was sufficiently impressed by David Sherman to commit a large percentage of my bond portfolio to RSIIX about 21 months ago. Since then, after reinvesting distributions, my investment in RSIIX is down by over 2.25 percent. This loss did not particularly bother me until after the recent disclosed credit mistakes. Although all managers are entitled to mistakes, these were errors which apparently, with a modicum of due diligence, could have been avoided. I expected and am paying for extraordinarily prudent security selection, and feel like I am not getting what I bargained for. Unfortunately, now I am watching this thing daily like a hawk, hoping for a some evidence of stabilization or a rebound. It's a crazy way to approach investing. On a day like today, when there is a 32 basis point loss when other high yield funds did well, I wonder if this reflects another mark-to-market situation or another permanent loss due to poor credit selection. I wish I had as much faith in the manager now as when I bought the fund. Can anyone give me comfort that the manager's long term record (which is undisclosed) and current portfolio positioning makes it likely that the performance of the fund will turn around soon? I am losing patience and close to closing out my position.
  • I was sufficiently impressed by David Sherman to commit a large percentage of my bond portfolio to RSIIX about 21 months ago. Since then, after reinvesting distributions, my investment in RSIIX is down by over 2.25 percent. This loss did not particularly bother me until after the recent disclosed credit mistakes. Although all managers are entitled to mistakes, these were errors which apparently, with a modicum of due diligence, could have been avoided. I expected and am paying for extraordinarily prudent security selection, and feel like I am not getting what I bargained for. Unfortunately, now I am watching this thing daily like a hawk, hoping for a some evidence of stabilization or a rebound. It's a crazy way to approach investing. On a day like today, when there is a 32 basis point loss when other high yield funds did well, I wonder if this reflects another mark-to-market situation or another permanent loss due to poor credit selection. I wish I had as much faith in the manager now as when I bought the fund. Can anyone give me comfort that the manager's long term record (which is undisclosed) and current portfolio positioning makes it likely that the performance of the fund will turn around soon? I am losing patience and close to closing out my position.

Sorry, this is no way to live. Either exit, or stop monitoring it. Just my 2 cents. I have chosen to not monitor it. I will look at it quarterly only.