Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How much do you have in your savings account?

2»

Comments

• I'm not running for president (yet -- I may be the only one), so I don't feel the need to divulge that info.

If you decide to run for President, you still don't have to divulge that info. You can just lie. You don't know I'm not running for President

:P
  • Sapien nullam vel egestas molestie aliquam lorem suspendisse cum pretium sem pretium. Fusce iaculis tincidunt sagittis massa mattis elementum euismod tortor pulvinar. Rutrum dis porttitor dignissim parturient quisque dignissim ultricies rutrum, neque vel tristique.

Ridiculus duis quam Lacinia tempor tristique faucibus bibendum penatibus arcu dapibus eu litora feugiat. Ultricies lectus platea ut pretium. Dictumst vivamus est malesuada. Suspendisse. In bibendum. Suspendisse lacus consectetuer gravida. Feugiat aliquet cubilia. Integer, eros per etiam tristique facilisi feugiat.

Arcu augue neque commodo. Curae; platea scelerisque neque molestie at taciti pede per cubilia interdum. Sociis parturient amet taciti, posuere posuere habitasse. Eget litora feugiat. Pharetra.
  • Sepius nefas, nunquam in nuto. Found a lorem ipsum generator, did you?
  • @Old_Joe I agree, "absolutely."
    @Dex Wishing you a safe journey; may you come back to us soon.
  • About 4k for monthly expenses. If I need emergency cash which occur rarely would sell some bonds or get from margin account but pay it.back in full asap
  • @Dex and @Old Joe.

Can you guys please chat in Swahili so I can understand what you are saying?
  • "Wishing you a safe journey; may you come back to us soon."

@heezsafe: Well, I'm with you on part of that. ;)
  • >> or get from margin account

Yeah, I did not mention heloc, which is a good option to have at a low rate if you can get one.

Amazing the reactions in this thread to the simplest of questions (not mine). I myself would never ask the intrusive version of how much cash and what percentage is it? I can hardly believe the timid evasion in response to How much in savings?

A perhaps gentler way to put it is How many months of savings do you have?
    This gets asked and advised all the time on M* and everywhere else (AARP). Nobody takes umbrage or mentions turnip trucks.

I have never before seen someone express their displeasure online with a long pig latin spew. Tip o' the hat to Dex, again. Semper ubi sub ubi.

• edited October 2015
    "a long pig latin spew"

Actually, that's not pig latin, but rather a synthetic computer-generated space filler designed to help plan page layouts (cf: lorem ipsum). There are a number of freeware apps available. You input the space parameters available, and the generator comes up with synthetic meaningless text to provide a rough guess as to the space layouts possible. The premise is that this increases efficiency, as the layout person does not spend any time or mental energy reading the actual text which will eventually be placed within the allotted space.

In this instance, the poster is evidently bilingually proficient at posting meaningless text.
  • >>

Amazing the reactions in this thread to the simplest of questions (not mine). I myself would never ask the intrusive version of how much cash and what percentage is it? I can hardly believe the timid evasion in response to How much in savings?

Dex said:

How do companies spend $ on such poor surveys.

• @Dex,

Correct. It was not your own question.

OJ, as a longterm layout editor, I know filler (also pig latin). Do check out better modern ones (cupcakes, bacon, Pulp Fiction ....):

http://mashable.com/2013/07/11/lorem-ipsum/#ZcVH4Mit_qqy
  • @David- I'll take your word on that, for sure. My comment was just a quick summary of info that I got from Wickipedia & other. Don't use such things myself, but thanks for the suggestions.
  • Ah, I hadn't checked out your link. Now I see. :)
  • At age 81 I am through saving but doing some spending. We do have a cash/checking account at Schwab.
  • 81! How cool! Go with the spending!
  • edited October 2015
    Old_Joe said:

81! How cool! Go with the spending!

Thanks to ron for sharing and to Old Joe for re-affirming that spending does take place here.

Sometimes I get the impression that either (1) everyone here is 55 or younger and still in the accumulation/growth stage or (2) we're a bunch of old misers hanging on to accumulated $$ for dear life. (A third possibility is we've all been highly unsuccessful at investing and so have little now to spend).:)

Ways of spending money and methods of withdrawing it from investments do receive some attention from time to time, but not enough IMHO.
  • edited October 2015
    Hi @Dex,

In the cash area of my portfolio, which includes money held in currency and on deposit at two banks, I currently have enough cash to live off of for more than three years at my current spending rate should all other forms of income I receive (social security, a small pension and from investments) come to a halt. If I sold out of the markets today, I anticipate I'd have better than twenty years of worth of cash on hand at my current spending rate. Seems, I recall Ted chose to go to mostly to an all cash position this past summer. For me, being age 67 and my wife age 65 I think I am going to stay invested in the capital markets for many years to come. Should my portfolio return what I have projected over the next ten years, as detailed in another blurb and noted below, the returns will most likely be enough to support my lifestyle without a cash drawdown.

For easy reference, below is my post regarding my anticipated portfolio's return. It reads as follows ...

"Hi @MJG,

Thanks for posting your forecast of six percent average annual gain for stocks over the next ten years. Wonder what bonds are going to do? And, then there is cash?

Here is my thinking ... Like you say, I'll use six per cent for stocks, (my call) four percent for bonds and two percent for cash. With this and based upon my current asset allocation of 25% cash, 20% bonds and 55% stocks (which includes the 5% other assets as defined by M* within my portfolio) I can expect between a four to five percent annualized return over the next ten years on my portfolio. Sounds reasonable to me.

So, if I want to make more I will need to continue to employ some spiffs (special investment positions) from time-to-time as I have been doing in this low interest rate environment. Doing this, might add a percent or two. Or, I could take on more risk and raise my allocation to stocks and bonds while lowering my allocation to cash. Think I'll continue to play the spiffs and tweak my asset allocation form time-to-time as to how I am reading the markets. In doing a look back, Morningstar's Portfolio Manager indicates that my current fund possitions have a combinded returned for the past five years of about 8.5% and for the ten year period about 6.5%. With this, some adjustment (downward) would needed to be made to account for my cash position in use with the above percentages. So, let's knock a percent off of these percentages to derive at what the portfolio would have returned adjusting it for current cash held. Probally, not exact but close.

Currently, I think from a TTM P/E Ratio (21.5) stocks are more than fully valued along with most bonds. With this, I am going to stick with being cash heavy for the time being and employ the spiffs.

Thanks again for posting your insight. It is appreciated."

Best regards,
    Old_Skeet