Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Dr. Ben Carson

I had the honor of meeting Dr. Carson many years ago, when he was "merely" saving lives...he was a speaker at a MLK program at my sons' school. Besides having a compelling life story, he is an outstanding, decent and humble person...in other words, not a politician!

I am torn between wanting to see him kill it in the debate tonight and not wanting to see this good man ripped apart. I'm thinking of just DVR'ing the debate, so if it gets too nasty for Dr. Ben, I can fast forward through it. Anyone else planning to watch tonight? Should be entertaining when The Donald gets rolling!

Comments

• It is going to be a comedy show. Ben Carson might occasionally interrupt the Comedy I'm thinking. Just occasionally, because I don't think he is going to get much screen time. And if someone puts a fan behind Trump's hairdo, I don't think anyone else will get any screen time.
  • It's in my hometown, so of course I'll be watching. Not going near the venue of course, but it is almost picture perfect weather....absolutely glorious.
  • He's probably too nice to be a winning politician. You have to be somewhat ego-maniacal to win in politics and he doesn't strike me as that type.
  • Sorry but he lost me when he said Obamacare was the "worst thing since slavery" washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2013/10/11/ben-carson-obamacare-worst-thing-since-slavery/and America under Obama is equivalent to "Nazi Germany": cnn.com/2014/12/03/politics/carson-stands-by-nazi-germany-comparsion/
  • edited August 2015
    What remote relationship does this topic have with the mission of the Mutual Fund Observer? It seems more suitable for a Gawker chat room.
  • That is the "off" part of "off topic," I suppose. On whole, I'm more concerned that these peripheral discussions stay more or less civil, amiable and respectful.

Just a thought,

David

• I am torn between wanting to see him kill it in the debate tonight and not wanting to see this good man ripped apart.

You can only hurt yourself in those things.
  • It would surely be nice to hear a clear, enlightened, civil discussion of the things that matter going into the election process. I haven't a clue where that utopia is anymore however. I couldn't wait for the last election to be over and this one will be no different.
  • @David_Snowball,

I appreciate all of your hard work and wonderful contributions at Fundalarm and MFO, but if you want "civil, amiable and respectful," then you and your trusted moderators must enforce Roy's Rule from FundAlarm: "Commercial, off-topic, repetitive, or offensive postings will be ruthlessly deleted."

Personally, I don't think the Off-Topic forum adds anything to MFO, and I think that it actually subtracts from it, especially since it is poorly moderated. Would MFO be anything less if the Off-Topic forum was eliminated ? Personally, I don't think so. Of course, just my opinion.

Kevin
  • @kevindow: It's easy to ignore the Off-Topic forum- just choose "Fund Discussions". While it's true that some "Off-Topic" discussions become less than "civil, amiable and respectful", many others are perfectly reasonable and very interesting. No one is forcing you to either participate in or even monitor this section of MFO.
  • Yeah, this is no longer Weitz's FA, and is why we have categories and labels.

The Klown Kar was awesome tonight. Read the transcripts.
  • @Old_Joe,

Does the fact that one can ignore or not participate in an unnecessary and subtractive part of MFO justify its existence ? Roy Weitz is a smart guy -- why exactly didn't he see the need for an Off-Topic forum on a Mutual Fund Forum ?

@davidrmoran,

Yes, this is obviously no longer Roy Weitz's FundAlarm. Apparently, MFO has been "sanitized," as there is no longer an overt mention that MFO is "a site in the tradition of Fund Alarm."

Kevin
  • You make that sound like a bad thing.

Weitz did his thing, and now it's different.
  • "unnecessary and subtractive"

@kevindow: An opinion, not a fact.
  • edited August 2015
    ouch, ouch, ouch! I guess even political discussions are too "off topic" to be included in the "off topic" category. Since we're really "off topic" now, let's end this. Thanks @Old_Joe and @davidrmoran for having my back! @LewisBraham fair point...way too inflammatory...primary rhetoric that will never win in the general election. I still like Dr. Ben, though, but I just don't think he has the temperament for politics.
  • @MFO Members: The entire thread should be deleted !!!!!!! This is a Mutual Fund Discussion Board, not a chat-room !!!
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited August 2015
    I wonder what is going to happen to our respective investment(s) valuation(s) should any one of these current characters (all parties) get elected to the office of President?

In other words, who do you think of all those that are running for the office of President would serve investors the best? And, why?

Now the topic has "some" investment relevance.

Old_Skeet
  • Old_Skeet: "I wonder what is going to happen to our respective investment(s) valuation(s) should any one of these current characters (all parties) get elected to the office of President?" Long-Term Nothing !!!!!!!!
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Well, Trump's MO is to hose everyone except himself by declaring bankruptcy and starting over. That could be interesting.
  • edited August 2015
    I find when people say you shouldn't discuss politics it usually means the conversation isn't going in the direction that reaffirms their own political beliefs. I think political discussion is one of the things that makes our democracy great and embodies the very meaning of the First Amendment. As Larry Flynt once said about Jerry Fallwell's attempt to silence him: "If you're not going to offend somebody you don't need the First Amendment." It is dangerous speech that needs protection and if we're all just going to practice self censorship and only discuss mutual funds all the time, why bother living in America at all? In many other countries such political discussions are forbidden. So why not celebrate our diversity and allow it but try to keep it civil?
  • @little5bee:

>> don't think he has the temperament

Haha, among so many other other things. Tithing?

Ted, don't forget to skip some pages!

If leaders did not matter, then market behaviors would be similar under either party, and of course that has never been the case.
  • Unfortunately for several of the participants, it appears that FOX took the opportunity to begin to "cull the herd". The weekend gab-fests should start to tell us the results.