Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

3 Mutual Funds To Play The Boom In Tech Stocks

FYI: With global uncertainties calming down and second-quarter corporate earnings for technology companies looking good, tech stocks are starting to hit their stride.
Regards,
Ted
http://investorplace.com/2015/07/3-mutual-funds-tech-stocks/print

Comments

• Can anyone shed some light on the comparative performance of PRGTX to PRMTX? Are these two funds too similar to own both?

I own PRMTX. Aside from 08/09 and 2014, PRMTX has outperformed PRGTX eight out of the last ten years.

• I probably am not telling you anything you don't already know, they each are technology sector funds who's fortunes tend to move in synch with QQQ. The returns for 2014 are interesting. I looked at each funds respective holdings and I'm thinking that PRGTX had or added some stocks which PRMTX either did not have or added later (maybe in a window-dressing exercise). OR possibly PRMTX held on to some losers longer than they should have.

Their titles (names) suggest different areas of concentration but in reality their individual holdings could overlap. Time to look at other areas of comparison.
  • TedTed
    edited July 2015
    @Mark; For your information here is a breakdown of the top holdings of PRGTX & PRMTX. As you can see, as it's name suggests, PRGTX holds a great deal more telecom stocks. The mention of PRMTX brings back some bad memories of the late 90's and early 2000 for the Linkster. I rode the crest of Chip Morris's PRSCX to a 100% gain in 1999 only to see it begin to implode in March 0f 2000.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.marketwatch.com/tools/mutual-fund/compare?Tickers=PRGTX+PRMTX&Compare=Holdings
  • @Ted - I think you meant PRMTX holds a great deal more telecom stocks, which one would think it should given the name of the fund. I believe that you, Bee and I all knew (expected) that so in my response to Bee's question I was trying to make some sense out of these holdings. While I question some of the individual holdings, which probably explains why I am not a fund manager, nothing else really jumps out at me as to why one would strongly choose one of these two funds over the other aside from the telecom issues. Performance of each still pretty much tracks that of QQQ albeit better than QQQ possibly because of active management.

If it makes you feel any better we share the PRSCX experience and possibly one or two Landis funds to boot.
  • @Mark: Thanks, I made the correction !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Bee - Please tell me how you created your table above or point me to the website where it can be done. Thank you.
  • beebee
    edited July 2015
    @Mark and for others who frequent M*,

A comparison table can be created by first entering the fund you are researching (PRMTX) using M* search tool.

Once you have the fund information page active, look for the "performance" tab

Select the "compare" button and enter your comparison fund (PRGTX).

I like to use the "Expanded View" which provides a 10 year comparison. It will look like this.

Hope that helps. you can compare multiple fund (I believe up to 5 funds).
  • Cool! Thank you.
  • Bee...you should see if M* needs assistance on their helpdesk. Very clear and precise instructions.

press
  • Nice!! Really appreciate this...thanks!
  • First tutorial I actually understood...
  • 30 years in front of "eager learners" (Public School Industrial Arts...which transistorized into Technology Education...which morphed into STEM) will cause this. Thanks.