Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Rich Are Different

edited June 2015 in Off-Topic
This study of polls of the wealthy's views on various political issues compared to the general populace is fascinating: faculty.wcas.northwestern.edu/~jnd260/cab/CAB2012%20-%20Page1.pdf Tables 4 through 10 are particularly worth a gander. There are a few areas which both the rich and average Americans agree on--they want more government infrastructure spending and scientific research and less foreign aid--but on most other things they disagree. But how they disagree shows a real gap in perception. The funny thing is even though almost everyone agrees we need more infrastructure spending on roads and bridges, we still can't seem to get it done as a nation.

Comments

• We can agree all we want as a nation except for the class known as politicians who will never agree because of who they are beholding to and who is lining their pockets. Also, when you are told to vote along party lines by your party's political leaders, or risk repercussions, it can only lead to endless stalemates. We need a complete flushing of nearly everyone currently holding office.
  • "The funny thing is even though almost everyone agrees we need more infrastructure spending on roads and bridges, we still can't seem to get it done as a nation."

Nothing funny about it... more like pathetic.
  • From Lewis Braham's link:

"Budget Committee Chair Mike Enzi (R-WY) said he and other Republicans are all for more infrastructure spending. They take issue, however, with Sanders essentially dictating tax reform policy to the Finance Committee by setting a long-term funding target. “That’s not the way we do it around here,” Enzi said Tuesday."

Q: So what, exactly, IS "the way we do it around here", Mr. Enzi? And when was the last time that any of you either cared or bothered?
  • Old_Joe said:

"The funny thing is even though almost everyone agrees we need more infrastructure spending on roads and bridges, we still can't seem to get it done as a nation."

Nothing funny about it... more like pathetic.

What he said. It's absolutely pathetic.
  • The time to execute on infrastructure is when borrowing costs are low. That, plus the employment boost is precisely what is/was needed.

We are going to miss that window of opportunity due to political bickering.
  • MJG
    edited June 2015
    Hi LewisBraham,

The article researchers openly acknowledge the shortcomings of this early study. From a statistical perspective, it is short on number size and also on fair geographic distribution representation. These factors alone make the contemporary findings unreliable and highly suspect. It is no shocking discovery that “the rich are different”. By definition that must be true.

The sub-population of survey respondents totaled merely 73 folks with 73% of that small cohort above the 5 million dollar wealth threshold. That’s not an impressive army, especially since they are all located in the Chicago area.

I doubt if this small sample represents the views and proclivities of the wealthy from Boston, or New York, or Los Angeles, or Dallas, or Miami. This is patently flawed statistical data collection methods. Additionally, most of the interviews were conducted on the telephone which likely corrupts the findings still further. Data compromise follows compromise. At this juncture, these findings border on junk science.

The university authors are not neutral political observers. They have an agenda that likely can be nicely summarized by two of their book titles: “Class War?: What Americans Really Think about Economic Inequality” and “Unequal Democracy: The Political Economy of the New Gilded Age”. This introductory survey appears to be an extension of their earlier work. There just might be some not so hidden bias here.

Even recognizing the pitfalls and traps inherent in its current design, the experimental results are not all that surprising. Although the authors highlight the two group disparities, most of the opinions expressed are similar, with less frequent divergences in expected areas. The rich prefer to more carefully husband their wealth, and are less egalitarian than the general population. The population wants free college for everyone without considering costs. What a surprise!

If I were offered the opportunity to choose having a financially-oriented lunch with an “average” citizen with an income of 60K dollars per year, or a self-made, multi-millionaire, I would not hesitate to select the latter. I would expect to learn more from his/her success story.

As Bismarck famously remarked: “Fools say they learn by experience. I prefer to profit by other people’s experience.”

As an aside, I answered many of the interview questions and bounced between those favored by the rich and by the general population. Does that mean I’m suffering from schizophrenia? Please don’t answer that.

Lewis, I noticed that the article was published in March, 2013, so it is somewhat dated. Have any updates been released? In its present form, there is hardly enough there to secure additional funding support.

Best Wishes.
  • edited June 2015
    @MJG Given that Chicago is a Democratic stronghold, the study's results would actually indicate that nationwide the perception gap on these issues is probably even wider. Also, you are apparently not aware of the significance of the "rich are different" allusion:
    quotecounterquote.com/2009/11/rich-are-different-famous-quote.html
    Best wishes.
  • @Davidmoran. Interesting article. The problem is that paralysis Kristof describes is sure to remain thanks to gerrymandering of political districts, increasingly onerous voting restrictions and the Citizen's United decision. By equating political contributions with free speech and corporations with people, the Supreme Court has ensured that plutocracy will triumph over democracy and inequality will probably worsen considerably before it gets better if it ever does.
  • edited June 2015
    From David Moran's NY Times article:

"The Wall Street bonus pool in 2014 was roughly twice the total annual earnings of all Americans working full time at the federal minimum wage.

You read that right: Just the annual bonuses for just the sliver of Americans who work just in finance just in New York City dwarfed the combined year-round earnings of all Americans earning the federal minimum wage.

That is just plain sick. If that bonus pool were simply cut in half in half we could double the earnings of every American working full time at the federal minimum wage. And virtually every cent of that income would immediately be spent, with a huge boost to the national economy.

• edited June 2015
    @Old Joe: Leftist Communist thinking - right down to the RED print (but seem to have forgotten your hammer and sickle).

"We will bury you." - Ha!

• @Hank- so you vant RED, comrade?? So there's RED!!
  • edited June 2015
    Old_Joe said:

So there's RED!!

And, I suppose you're rolling out those 50+ year old ICBMs and preparing to launch?
  • "preparing to launch?"

No, it's getting close to dinner time.
  • Old_Joe said:

...every American working full time at the federal minimum wage. And virtually every cent of that income would immediately be spent, with a huge boost to the national economy.

I wonder how many Americans work "full time AT the federal minimum wage."

• Anna,
    What do you mean? Every fastfood worker I have ever met works as many hours as allowed, so yeah, up to 40 if not more. Barbara Ehrenreich's books (at least Nickel and Dimed, IIRC) get into that thoroughly. See also
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/nyregion/board-hears-support-for-raising-food-workers-minimum-wage.html
  • Anna,
    What do you mean? Every fastfood worker I have ever met works as many hours as allowed, so yeah, up to 40 if not more. Barbara Ehrenreich's books (at least Nickel and Dimed, IIRC) get into that thoroughly. See also
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/nyregion/board-hears-support-for-raising-food-workers-minimum-wage.html

No, that's not what I meant. I was wondering if that stat was only people making exactly the minimum wage (presumably, in their state). The wording made it sound that way. I somehow was under the impression that most low wage workers made a little over the minimum wage. (That's why I capitalized "AT".) So I was requesting a clarification. I would have tracked it myself but the answer, if it exists, lies in a second article behind the wall at the NYT and I don't have a key to the door in that wall.

Not important though. I just thought someone might have already dug into this.
  • Actually I suspect a lot of "fast-food" & similiar workers who are adults with adult responsibilities work MORE than "x" hours because a lot of them work more than one job. So "less" than (or "up to") 40 ( or "as allowed") hours is not necessarily actuality. In fact, a lot of shift schedules are split such that "40 hour week" is not meaningful.
    Just sayin'..
  • "In fact, a lot of shift schedules are split such that "40 hour week" is not meaningful."

Yep. One employee works two jobs at less than full-time, at minimum wage, with no benefits because less than full-time. One day those folks are gonna wake up, and there will be hell to pay.
  • @OJ What, you mean all the benefits of low taxes and free market magic won't trickle down to them? How can this be?
  • @MFO Members: This is nothing more than an attempt by Lewis to engage MFO Members in a class warfare debate. He believes the state is more important the individuals , and therefore the rich are evil and their wealth should be distributed to the masses, you know power to the people, especially those dead beats who don't work.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @MFO Ted, the cyberbully strikes again, putting words into my mouth I've never spoken! Will his reign of terror ever end?
  • @Ted- well, if that's in fact what he was up to, he certainly engaged you. With respect to where the wealth is going in this country, AMONG THOSE WHO ARE WORKING, go ahead and make your case that the current situation is equitable. Should be an interesting revelation. Maybe you missed the info above re the Wall Street bonus pool.
  • "his reign of terror"

@LewisBraham- Oh, come on now... that's a bit harsh. A reign of grouchiness, maybe. Those of us who've been here awhile don't pay all that much attention, you know. Don't jump at the bait.
  • Anna, thanks for clarification. If you tell me more about the NYT article I will post it, or a section of it. (Don't forget you can often use an incognito session of the four major browsers and see the article n/p.) I agree that most low-wage are probably somewhat above the legal minimum, at least adult / experienced workers.