Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

intermediate-Bond Funds.. Best?

Morningstar:
" intermediate-term bond categories are funds intended to be safer havens--these generally take on less credit risk or less interest-rate risk than peers.
Last week, we published a checklist for taxable-bond-fund investors. In it, we suggested that investors select intermediate-term bond funds for the core of their fixed-income allocations. By dedicating a sizable chunk of your fixed-income allocation in such funds, your portfolio will be better positioned to withstand bond-market shocks from interest-rate increases or credit-quality scares. Plus, you'll get the diversification benefits that bonds can offer an equity-heavy portfolio(exactly...tb)
Securities mentioned in this article"
Ticker
Price($)
Change(%) Morningstar Rating Morningstar Analyst Report ...Gold Rated

DODIX 13.94 -0.14
FGMNX 11.69 -0.09
FGOVX 10.62 -0.19
NERYX 13.15 -0.38
MWTIX 11.02 -0.18
LSIIX 11.77 -0.34
VFIJX 10.86 -0.09
VBTLX 10.98 -0.27
FTBFX 10.81 -0.18

Comments

• @TPA: In the future sober up and just link the article.
    Regards,
    Ted

M* 8 Great Core Bond Funds:
    http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=689802
  • You do good work?
  • Looking at the returns, e.g., FTBFX vs. BCOIX, it seems to me that the Baird family does a slightly better job than Fidelity with their bond funds (while following a similar philosophy), yet M* doesn't seem to cover Baird at all. Too small?
  • @TPA "You do good work? " Truer works were never spoken !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Vert - thanks for mentioning Baird. It's a fine fund house that I like and Investor (where did he go?) also spoke highly of.
  • @Vert- I did come up with this M* page which lists the Baird funds. More individual fund detail is available starting from this page.

• Yes, that second link for "All Baird Funds" is the same one that I posted. Thanks for the additional link.
  • Sorry I always gotta check my Bond funds for comparison...Baird 5 yr avg +5.9
    PRHYX +8.28 VWEHX +8.2avg ...5-6 yr maturity
  • Most astute MFO readers would not compare high yield bond funds against intermediate core bond funds. Not being astute myself I don't even own any bond funds. Oh wait, I bought some PTY the other day.That moment of madness will probably last just long enough for me to decide on another dividend paying stock to invest in.
  • Based upon what I've seen over the years; that although Baird does have investor class shares, the majority of these funds ( I shares) that I have seen as portfolio choices were offerings inside of retirement plans, and that the "I" shares, being using by large institutions (pension funds, etc.)
    I am aware of a large pension plan that will be replacing PTTRX at the end of April with the institutional class of the Baird intermediate term bond fund.
    Another Pimco loss; although PTTRX is beating most of their related fund competition YTD.

Knee jerk stuff by managers (pension funds, etc.) , as was discussed here, last year.

@Mark . Agree. I was also trying to determine the value of a compare of HY funds to a more straight line bond fund. Oh, well.
  • Mark, if your comparing returns of intermediate length funds...why wouldn't you consider H/Y bonds?....you don't like money (returns)...your an "astute" investor or a "reader" ?
  • The average duration of active manged funds tend to move. Equally as important are the quality and oversea exposure. Dan Fuss's Loomis Sayles bond fund is difficult to into one these boxes. Downside risk should be part of the analysis in addition to the return.
  • Risk is a consideration in ANY investment....bonds are no different.....BUT I can say I have Never sold a bond fund at a loss...wish I could say that for all my other type investments in my lifetime....but I can't