Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fairholme.. Will It Close In The Black YTD Today?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Higher interest rates would be a plus for BAC and I'd think AIG.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maurice said:

Do you think that the banking and loan industry will benefit? Maybe financial services will replace healthcare as the go to sector for 2015.

You know, I think for a number of reasons mortgages and loans will probably still not have the kind of demand that the industry would hope for, but I think if there was a noticeable and sustained move higher in rates that would likely get people who have been waiting around to move.

Rates have been low enough for long enough that perhaps some people interested in a loan have become complacent and have been waiting for even lower rates or they think rates aren't going anywhere.

I really don't have any interest in the financials from the standpoint of I don't think anyone truly has any real visibility. Several years after the financial crisis, the major banks are still fined for some bad deed at a rate that seems to be once every month or two.

If you look at the ten year, it wandered around the 1.50-1.70 neighborhood for 2012 into 2013, then in Spring of 2013, it ramped higher. Early this year, it fell back into that neighborhood again and bounced. Perhaps that area is/was the bottom?
  • beebee
    edited March 2015

M* seems to have a love / hate relationship with this fund. One Star yet gets a Silver badge. I wonder if there are any One Star / Gold funds out there?

FAIRX may soon be the first.

YTD, SHLD has had some surprising "ups"...19% since New Years Eve.

I believe this funds will raise or fall on its AIG bet.

AIG has a PE of just over 10.6, Price to book of 0.7 and some other impressive financials:

As of 8/2014, FAIRX sold 6M shares of AIG...has Bruce B. mention his reasons for reducing AIG by nearly 9%?
  • @Bee - one report I read with respect to the AIG position is that between the stock + the warrants he doesn't want the issue to get to far beyond a 50% holding in the fund. FWIW that could have been the writer's/analyst's best guess.
  • In response to bee's query about one-star Gold funds:

No, there are none at the moment. There are five two-star Gold funds; three are Vanguard indexes and two are actively managed Manning & Napier funds.

There are four one-star Silver funds: Vanguard FTSE All-World exUSA Small Cap Index , Fairholme, FPA Capital and Perkins Mid-Cap Value.

David
  • beebee
    edited March 2015
    @Mark...thanks for responding. Even with the trimming, AIG is still a 40% holding for FAIRX...I may have to suggest it be renamed F-AIG-X.

@David_Snowball...This M* "dual descriptor" reminds me of the oxymoron, "Jumbo Shrimp".

Should one be more impressed at the twinkle of the stars or the mettle of the medal?

Thanks for your uncanny ability to uncover the other funds?

• bee said:

@Mark...thanks for responding. Even with the trimming, AIG is still a 40% holding for FAIRX...I may have to suggest it be renamed F-AIG-X.

@David_Snowball...This M* "dual descriptor" reminds me of the oxymoron, "Jumbo Shrimp".

Should one be more impressed at the twinkle of the stars or the mettle of the medal?

Great sense of humor @bee.
    BTW, I see AIG as a 47% holding of FAIRX, when you take the common stock plus the warrants

IIRC, at one point it was about 52% common stock plus warrants.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.