Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bought some XOM

Howdy campers,

Bought some XOM yesterday. feh. Even if SLB is cutting, think of it. The explorers and drillers are going to get killed but while XOM and the big boys may get beat up, they're not a bankruptcy risk. Plus it's paying 3%.

I also just bought some GE (3.8% yield). They provide a huge amount of tv content and that's the sweet spot. Hell, like the drillers, you can probably short the deliverers like cable. Plus they're huge into wind. [and rono doesn't have to worry about them].

At the ripe old age of 66, I really like owning stocks that I use AND that pay me a dividend. I want to own all of my utes, etc., places where I shop.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Hi @rono,

Watching VDE for the big energy kids. Came and stayed off of a bottom for the past two days with small bumps up; and is up about 2.4% at 1:25 EST, Friday.

Is this a bottom? Don't know, but sure as hell off of a nasty low.

"VDE" 10/39 day chart

Take care of yourselves,
    Catch
  • XOM will be a very profitable business longer than anyone reading this will be alive...enjoy
  • Tampabay said:

XOM will be a very profitable business longer than anyone reading this will be alive...enjoy

Can you say the same for Chevron? I've owned Texaco which became Chevron since about '85 and have seen peaks and valleys before.

• XOM may remain profitable but not all the owners will fare as well. FWIW, I'm in deep on energy investments.
  • Still long COP.
  • edited January 2015
    Road HES, then APA, up early last year...under $80 to over $100.

Started watching XOM when Warren bought at around $95.

Then came June.

Exited APA at buy point. Ditto with GE, an energy proxy.

With the collapse under way, got into OXY.

Added as went down.

Went up nicely for short while, then it too fell back and I exited at buy point.

So, only frustration so far with energy.

Hoping recent bounce is indeed a bottoming-out.

It's been ugly and right or wrong, I've been worried about contagion. So, I'm thinking I'll follow Mr. Gundlach's advice on this one and wait to see some stability and upward momentum before I try again.

Break, break.

On my way home from down south, I drove through a huge Chevron oil field. It was eerie, I'd guess 90% of pumps where still. Zip. No movement. As if, they've stopped pumping 'cause of over-supply.
  • Have bought more REXX and COG; I hardly think it possible for anyone buying REXX at these prices to lose money given a wait of a year or more.
  • @Scott - long COP as well plus a handful of MLP's and their general partners and preferreds of some. Recently into PEO
  • wow. REXX down 86% over one year. i might have to throw some mad $ into that one too.
  • Have orders in for XOM, and Plains All-American PAA. I am still long COP and CVX.
    Also recently added small bits to existing positions in Permian Basin, PBT, Baytex BTE, Prudoe Bay BPT, Ferrellgas FGP, Niska NKA, Vanguard Nat Res VNR, and Global Partners GLP.
    Am watching PWE and PGH.
    In a few weeks if I am still solvent I'll throw remaining $$ into Vanguard Div Growth Fund VDIGX and call it a day.
    cheers, everyone,
    hawk

• @hawkmountain - "if I'm still solvent" . Gotta love it and I know the feeling
  • REXX is in solid financial shape too, say all their top execs
  • edited January 2015
    Been tough going lately.

Selectively, bears and perhaps value hunters seem to have gotten their wish.

Energy, certainly.

But some other big names well off their 52-week highs in last few weeks.

Bank of America
    Alcoa
    AIG
    Sears Holdings
    Leucadia
    General Electric
    Precision Castparts
    Citigtroup
    Archer Daniels
    Twitter
    Google
    Amazon
    IBM
    US Steel
    Schnitzer Steel (OK, not a big name but it was for me and I got hosed...back under $17 yesterday from high last year of over $30.)
    Pier One
    Yelp
    Netflicks
    Pandora
    Catepiller
    McDonalds
    JP Morgan
    Verizon
    Goldman Sachs
    ATT

I mean a lot of big names off 10-15-20% and more.

So, its Apple, Merck, Home Depot, Pfizer, Du Pont, Nike, Travelers, Unitedhealth Group, Proctor & Gamble and the like that have been carrying the overall market, seems like.

Ted recently posted similar observation, but with respect to sectors:

% From 52-Week Highs
  • edited January 2015
    M* still showing overall market 2% overvalued...

• edited January 2015
    Charles said:

Been tough going lately.

Selectively, bears and perhaps value hunters seem to have gotten their wish.

Ted recently posted similar observation, but with respect to sectors:

% From 52-Week Highs

I will be very happy to add to Archer Daniels, which to me is a very long-term, get and forget holding. You have the biggest grain logistics company around, with as many railroad cars as a class 1 railroad. Plus, you now have a flavor company (ADM bought Wild Flavors), which is a business that I absolutely love because it's in everything at the grocery store and a handful of companies dominate it. Overall, ADM has world class assets.

If Apple comes down a bit more towards the $100 level, it's well worth looking at.

I'm rather concerned about Verizon/ATT from the standpoint of the industry's ridiculous price wars. However, eventually you get into other things ("the connected car", etc.)

Leucadia just bailed out FXCM yesterday after the Swiss Franc move obliterated them.
  • Sold 50% of TMLPX and exchanged into INFIX. Saw the new one mentioned here in the last two weeks or so. After researching, looked good for its sector and longer track record. Decided to trade out only half because it is more concentrated than the other and higher % of bonds keeps it less volatile, but good in a down market.
  • Buyn time again...take advantage...IRA time
  • @ MFO Members: When it comes to energy, I'd keep my powder dry. Wait, and let the other guy with his money, get back in first.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited January 2015
    "But here is what I find personally interesting: the price of oil was unusually low throughout extended periods in the 1980s and 1990s, and these two oil stocks did especially well during this drought. In fact, it was a golden age of sorts. Look it up—Exxon delivered 21% annual returns from 1982 through 1998, and Chevron returned 16% annually from 1982 through 1998. Oil was at $30 per barrel in 1982, went down to $13 in 1987-1989, played between the $10 and $20 range for most of the 1990s, and then went down to $8 in 1998. Summing it all up, the measuring period from 1982 through 1998 saw the price of a barrel of oil go down from $30 to $8, and yet Exxon returned 21% and Chevron returned 16% over this time frame. It’s worth investigating why a crash in commodity prices corresponded with such significant wealth creation for the owners of both Exxon and Chevron......." Tim McAleenan JR

Tampabay said:
    XOM will be a very profitable business longer than anyone reading this will be alive...enjoy
  • edited January 2015
    Update From FPACX
    F P A Crescent Fund Q4
    Gross exposure to equities remains at approximately 55% and net exposure is circa 51%
    . Fixed Income remains
    extremely low at around 0.7 %
    Added to private investments, specifically real estate partnerships
    Cash is approximately 46.3 %.
    Outlook:
    Challenging to find bargains
    We maintain our investment discipline and continue to
    seek windows in which we can effectively deploy capital. We are mostly focused on the
    opportunities in energy sector right now.

http://www.fpafunds.com/docs/fpa-crescent-fund/q4-2014-crescent-update.pdf?sfvrsn=2sn=2

KKR Said to Target Oil, Asia With $3 Billion Distressed Fund
    By Sabrina Willmer and Devin Banerjee Jan 20, 2015 10:38 AM CT

KKR & Co. (KKR) is seeking as much as $3 billion to provide financing to troubled companies including those hurt by plunging oil prices, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The private equity firm, run by billionaires Henry Kravis and George Roberts, is targeting $2.5 billion to $3 billion for its second special situations fund after deploying the previous pool more quickly than it expected, said the people, who asked not to be named because the information isn’t public. KKR started marketing the fund to clients about six months after closing the first vehicle last January, the people said.

KKR is seeing opportunities to invest in oil and gas producers that came under pressure after the price of oil plunged about 57 since peaking in June. The firm also expects some Asian companies to become starved for capital as banks address their nonperforming loan portfolios, the people said.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-20/kkr-said-to-target-oil-asia-with-3-billion-distressed-fund-1-.html
    Sourced from;
    http://seekingalpha.com/news/2230456-report-kkr-putting-together-3b-fund-targeting-oil-and-asia