Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What were your "UP" funds today on a largely "down" day?

2»

Comments

• I sure hope Ted won't call me a liar for saying this, but quite honestly, I did not have any up funds yesterday (3/13/14).
  • The gift that keeps on giving so far FXP +4.77% yesterday.
  • 14 March, '14:
    MSCFX and SFGIX were up, all others down, but one standing pat.
  • edited June 2014

Quote: "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. --- BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR - per G.G., CHIEF OF ORDNANCE”
  • Long term Treasuries are showing periodic shine and it may be the asset that is shining for PRPFX.

At Vanguard, I like EDV (Extendeded Duration Treasuries) during these "flight to safety moments".

Here's EDV charted with VTI (Total US Market) along with FXI (China LC companies) and PRPFX. EDV seems to do a good job of moving opposite FXI. I think of EDV and PRPFX are "insurance policies" against market downturns.

• A brutal day today 7/31/2014:

Markets:
    Dow -1.88%
    Nasdaq -2.09%
    S&P -1.98%
    Russell 2000 -2.31%
    EFA -1.67%
    EEM -1.75%
    GLD -1.15%
    GDX -2.12.%
    AGG -0.12%

Alternative Funds:
    Whitebox Market Neutral Equity Investor WBLSX +0.09%
    Whitebox Tactical Opportunities Investor WBMAX +0.55%
    ASTON/River Road Long-Short N ARLSX -0.67%
    BlackRock Global Long/Short Equity Inv A BDMAX +0.17%
    PIMCO EqS Long/Short D PMHDX -1.53%
    MainStay Marketfield I MFLDX -0.91%
    Robeco Boston Partners L/S Equity Inv BPLEX +0.19%
    Robeco Boston Partners L/S Rsrch Inv BPRRX -0.87%
    RiverPark Structural Alpha Retail RSAFX -0.86%
    RiverPark Long/Short Opportunity Retail RLSFX -1.38%
    RiverPark/Gargoyle Hedged Value Retail RGHVX -1.59%
    AQR Multi-Strategy Alternative N ASANX -0.30%
    AQR Diversified Arbitrage N ADANX 0.00%
    AQR Risk Parity N AQRNX -1.44%
  • Whitebox
    APA
  • You had to ask:)

Whitebox and Hussman.

This is a good time to note which of your fund are truly "long/short" or "market neutral" or "tactical allocation" or "absolute return". It is days like today that confirm once for all whether a fund is really worth it.

Take a look at JAZZX. Did so well over past 3 years. Today drops 2%. Tells you this fund is really net long. PMHDX drop is surprising. I expected it to drop, but not that much. CLSVX is another that dropped big.

OTCRX, CGVAX are up.
  • edited August 2014
    Asia markets continued the down trend. Shanghai might have ended up but not sure why.

I was traveling so I missed it but by a stroke of luck, I sold my one last fund that had been doing poorly earlier this week and put that money into a short duration income fund. May have saved a percent or so there.

A lot of pressures from geopolitical to country defaults to Sanctions against Russia. Friday may be a tell?
  • edited August 2014
    mrc70 said:

My UP funds are

PCRIX
    PSPFX
    ARIVX
    GPGOX
    WAFMX
    ARTGX

Didn't realize how old this thread was LOL...I was looking at August, 2014.
  • Funny, from the original post a year ago WAFMX was one of the funds that was up and yesterday it was breakeven. It was my only non-negative fund, unless you count my position in SPXU, which is a 3x short S&P etf that I bought two months ago when the S&P closed more than 2 standard deviations above its 20 week moving average to hedge my exposure to the market. Yesterday it turned profitable for me and I think I should be unhappy about that since the position only reduced my exposure rather than eliminating it.
  • It is interesting that my only up fund was not a fund but AAPL. All my funds were red.
  • August 1st, 2014. My only fund that went up on the day was DLFNX, and that was just by a penny. Small monthly div. on 31st July. But I can't even log-in. If you caught my new discussion thread, I was asking if any of you others know where the DL webmaster hid the damn link so shareholders can actually LOG-IN to see their accounts. It's just plain too well-hidden for me to find. My usual bookmarks are unavailable to me at the moment, on the road. Jeez.