Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Legitimate, non-snark/sarcasm question: are any Democrats disgruntled by Harris selection process?

I know the timing of President Biden’s withdrawal does not allow for a normal primary process to choose a new candidate, but is anyone (Democratic voters) frustrated by Vice President Harris being chosen by a small group of Democratic leaders? We have said this in our house a lot, and how it seems non-Democratic.

Again, I am not arguing, being sarcastic or snarky, I just don’t have access to as many potential Democrat voters as are on this site. And yes, I am a registered Republican. I am truly curious. And do not hear this discussed much in the media or via Google searches. And it is difficult to determine a pulse from reading X (man, that’s such a site for reading some truly awful things posted by people who can hide behind anonymity).

And yes, I know that the large majority of us vote for the party that supports the handful of values and issues that are most important to them, and usually acknowledge that said party frustrates us due to other issues pushed (or at least that is what I have seen in my personal experiences).

Thank you in advance for reading and responding!

Comments

• edited July 25
    And I also know that “elites” are involved in ALL candidate, fundraising, and electoral races and decisions (both/all sides). That’s why they are called elite haha.
  • edited July 25
    Nope, as you said I think many people vote for a party. Sometimes I split my vote but this year I'm voting for a party. I have too many women I care about to vote against their freedom of medical care choice. I'm hoping and think that women will come out of the woodwork to protect themselves too. As far as Harris being a replacement that's not a big deal to me. Whenever you vote for the president you're automatically voting for two people, Pres and VP and the policies they believe in. I've never seen a way to split your vote for a president and a different VP.
  • edited July 25
    ADD: I'm actually glad that Harris is replacing Biden. I, like many people think they are both too old. I would like to see a law no presidential candidates over 70. I.E. If you're elected and then after 4 years you're over 70 you can only serve one term. I'm 71 and know the majority of folks my age have senior moments. Anyone that age shouldn't be President IMHO. ADD: There used to be a law pilots had to retire at 65 (maybe it still exists). There's a good reason for that. Someone that controls a nuclear arsenal can't have a senior moment!!
  • (Also for disclosure purposes: I voted for Trump both times but I was REALLY hoping his candidates would lose in ‘22, and he would go away. So I’m not a mindless acolyte.

But he also has won me back)
  • Nope. Kamala is a good choice. She's sharp as a tack, tough when she needs to be, carries strong positions and has bigger boils then her opposition.

The proposition that she just inherited the mantle of being the Democratic front-runner is without a whole lot of basis IMHO. We can conjecture all manner of under handed scheming by a group of elites if we want to but so far no one else has stepped forward and said whoa. There's still time to do so if they want.

Lastly, how come nobody in the other party says boo when seemingly only one person decides what will and won't be.
  • I feel like her being young is a HUGE factor in revitalizing this race for the Democrats. I am not a fan of her….mostly because I have not seen clips of her speeches where the words are meaningful, but I have also only seen “clips”…..and taken out of context, even Bill Clinton or Obama (masterful orators even if I disagree with them) could be made to sound like idiots.

Correct, @gman57, but most people were casting their vote for Biden (regardless of who the VP is/was) or Trump (I don’t care who he picked….my vote is for Trump). And now, the vote will be for VP Harris, not for who her running mate will be.
  • Follow up questions for you or anyone:

Is it because she was on the “ticket” that you vote for, that it is ok?

If they had chosen someone completely different (such as Newsome, Whitmer, Michelle Obama, etc.)…would your answer be the same? Follow up to that would be if they had chosen Senator Bernie Sanders or someone of a similar age to President Biden, would the answer also be the same? Obviously these are hypotheticals.

My (obviously biased) feeling is the democratic process was subverted…..out of necessity or not, by “choosing” the Democratic candidate. Just an interesting thing to happen to the party that deems Trump as a threat to democracy.

Feel free to eviscerate me for my statements, especially the last paragraph…but my curiosity is sincere.

(I also differ from Republicans in not being a pro life diehard….Roe v Wade being overturned turned the decisions back to the states, and did not by itself restrict abortion)

Truly, Thanks in advance for participation and discourse!:)
  • edited July 25
    Actually yes, I would support anyone other than Trump. He made fun of a disabled person. Was found guilty of sexual abuse ***BY A JURY***, was found guilty of fraud ***BY A JURY***. If you or I had those docs and delayed, *ignored* the governments request to give them back we'd be in jail. He had 44 cabinet members and only FOUR willingly endorsed him, 90% of his "hand picked by him" cabinet members won't endorse him! 9 out of 10 saying basically he sucks. Doesn't that say something about him? His own VP won't endorse him. The GOP actually has some positive ideas but Trump is just an abysmal person. ADD: I actually think the GOP would do much better if they had the balls to throw him out for being an old blowhard like the DEM's threw out Biden for being too old.
  • edited July 25
    Thanks for visiting the OT section @Graust

Of course I’m not disgruntled. I voted for the Biden / Harris ticket in 2020 believing both were qualified for the two highest positions in the executive branch. Why would serving 3.5 years in that capacity render Harris less qualified today than when I first voted for her?

The process? When a candidate qualifies to appear on primary ballots, is he / she bound by some contractual agreement to mount a campaign right up until the election date and then to serve out a full term, come hell or high water? Can the candidate change his or her mind if his life circumstances change? Let’s consider the ramifications of such a law …

Could a candidate drop out if diagnosed with terminal cancer? If bereaved at the loss of one or more family members? If he suffered paralysis or brain damage following an accident? If convicted of some crime? ISTM any candidate for office (or any other job) has the ”inalienable human right “ to change his mind for any reason. Biden is 81. The job has been known to prematurely age much younger men (as a look at pre and post photos may reveal). I think Biden has aged a lot in the job. It’s not for you or me to insist he continue to pursue election and serve out another 4-year term if he, in consultation with his doctors, family members, party members and others comes to a different conclusion. He has the right to change his mind.

I’m a Democrat. I believe their policies are more inclusive / more in sympathy with those of us of average and below average means. I do occasionally support Republicans. In fact, the only political sign I ever posted in my front yard was in support of a local Republican candidate for state office several years back. And I’ve contributed about equal amounts over the years to candidates of both parties. But what you have running now is so unlike Republicans of old that I could never support him. Were the Bushes (George & Jeb) at your convention? How about former Republican Vice Presidents Mike Pence and Dick Cheney? Did either attend? Did the widow or children of John McCain show up? Why not? ….. I’ll tell you why. There was a stench in that room.

• Personally, I have no problem with the process. Every presidential election reflects to some degree people's innermost feelings regarding a spectrum of circumstances- the perceived character and personality of a candidate, the degree of experience in national and international politics (track record, if you will), perceived positions on social, financial, business and tax matters, and then also things that are never spoken aloud- bias (for or against) a candidates sex, race, color, religion...

The many factors which are going to influence this particular election present an unusually complex mix of the above. There are going to be lots of voters who will make their decision based on some of those "never spoken aloud" factors. The political elites who steer the electoral process are well aware of the delicate balances involved, and I think that the choice of Kamala Harris was about the best option available. I'd also be willing to bet that she will pick a white male southern politician to help neutralize some of those "never spoken aloud" factors.

Reality.

By the way, I was very unhappy with the prospect of Biden for another four years. I'm 85, and of course I'm aware of the ever increasing challenges, both mental and physical, of advanced age. You can just look at the man and see the deterioration compared to even four years ago. The job of president of the United States is going to take a heavy toll on the strengths of any person. It's no place for anyone past their seventies, in my view.
  • Thanks again everyone for responding! I appreciate everyone’s thoughts. And agree with a some of what was written. I was genuinely curious what you all thought about the unconventional selection process (arguably not really bc maybe people thought a high probability that Harris would have to step in and be president at some point). Cheers!
  • "I was genuinely curious what you all thought about the unconventional selection process (arguably not really bc maybe people thought a high probability that Harris would have to step in and be president at some point)."

As the GOP now has to think about Vance if they win.
  • @Mark, thanks….I would say the party leader/lead candidate kind of decides how most things go. And would posit that Obama and the Clintons also have a lot of say how things go (look at Biden’s tweets and interviews from the first week or two of July vs now…this was not by choice, IMHO).

@gman57, some (Republicans lol) would say the court cases were not completely fair etc. And there are always dissenters, on both sides. Even Zuckerberg was impressed by Trump’s actions after the shooting (OBVIOUSLY diff from supporting him as a candidate).

Agreed @Old_Joe….it was sad that these two octogenarians were the best the country had to choose from (or a third party candidate who may be attractive for certain reasons but had no organization to stand behind them). Democrats are turning the page/passing the torch…..next election, the Republicans will too (finally).

@hank, thanks for your thoughts! I am sure the choices of voting for the person came down to some core beliefs (reproductive rights, taxation, etc.) that that candidate was the most closely aligned with you.

I will say, as a “message to Democrats,” that the more that Trump is hammered and disliked, the stronger he is supported. Again, IMHO, I feel the same may be happening to Democrats, as the more Harris is hammered by Republicans, the stronger her support gets.
  • @gman57…..very true about JD Vance!
  • edited July 25
    "I will say, as a “message to Democrats,” that the more that Trump is hammered and disliked, the stronger he is supported. Again, IMHO, I feel the same may be happening to Democrats, as the more Harris is hammered by Republicans, the stronger her support gets."

That is what's strange to me and maybe you can answer why? A lot of the hammering is (was) done by fellow Republicans. Almost all the witnesses for the Jan 6th trial etc... were guess what... Republican. Are there really that many Rhinos? I see it more of an us against them and them is anyone who doesn't agree with us no matter who it is. I will give him that, he is an expert in building the us against them mentality.
  • I think it is a vocal minority (again, IMHO)….the Republican’s are pretty unified behind Trump. He even won JD Vance and his former opponents for this year’s election (DeSantis and Haley). Both sides magnify the critics beyond what their actual numbers or influence are. I’m sure reasonable republicans (like myself) were horrified at what happened, and would convict the people that did the actions, though not condemn Trump for dangerous idiots jumping aboard and taking it to an evil extreme.

Jan 6th was horrible….and Trump should have done ANYTHING to get in front of it and prevent the terrible escalation. There was also destruction, rioting, crime, and even injuries/deaths from the summer riots of 2020 (that many Democrat leaders also fanned the flames of) and the pro-Palestine protests of the last 9 months (which blow me away…..how can people support Hamas, who would literally kill many of the protesters if they lived in Palestine due to their lifestyle/sexuality/opinions….but that’s not for me to decide!). NOT EQUATING THEM….just saying that neither side is unblemished.
  • ...There was a stench in that room.
    You said it.

But I've not seen a decent explanation about this item in particular: before Biden left the race, there was to be a pre-convention "virtual roll-call" to pre-nominate him, in order to get "in" under the Ohio deadline, so that Joe could appear on the Ohio ballots. (In this crazy country, the election must still be won, State by State by State.) But Repub. Gov. Mike DeWine extended that deadline. So, where's the problem, by now? I think I've heard the pre-convention roll-call for Harris is still planned. I just don't get it. I'd say there were some serious "geniuses" at work, when it came to choosing such a late date for the Dems' convention in the first place.

Anyhow, when Nixon resigned in disgrace, his Veep took over. So, why shouldn't Harris be the current presumptive nominee? Joe did not resign the Presidency, so it's a bit different, OK.

I mentioned DeWine is a "Repub---" not by my current favorite designation, "Repug." There's a difference. And currently, the Repugs have a firm grip on the Party of Lincoln, Grant, T. Roosevelt, Eisenhower. It is a betrayal. Neither of the major Party candidates will get my vote this time, anyhow.
  • edited July 25
    "He even won JD Vance and his former opponents for this year’s election (DeSantis and Haley)."

Yeah, power is an aphrodisiac to politicians. Most will say and do anything for it with no regard for the truth. The more power they have the worse it becomes. CEO's/oligarchs are right behind them in that department. I think it was Graham during one interview who put it best. He didn't say it directly but basically said I'll say and do anything to remain relevant.
  • edited July 25
    … the more that Trump is hammered and disliked, the stronger he is

@Graust,

If anyone “hammered” Trump (metaphorically speaking) it was his own former Vice President who, as far as I know, will not endorse him. Who should know him better? You and I get to view media clips or read his immodest self-assessment on TruthSocial. Mike Pence worked side by side with him for 4 years.

The Dem’s process was unconventional. Making the best of a bad situation as there is a race to be run and the campaign needs to get moving. I was thrilled to send a generous contribution Monday morning as many others who’d been holding out did.

Regards

• @Crash: similar things could be said about the party of FDR, Truman, and JFK….unifiers, not “identity politics.” But I know you would disagree! Trump also appears to have won over more “classically non-Republican” voters (union members—NOT union leaders, minorities, etc.). But of course I see a slanted view that potentially magnifies the actual numbers. .

@gman57 and @hank agreed on some of it.

Anyhow, no one will be convinced of anything….truly, thanks for engaging my curiosity! I appreciate it.
  • similar things could be said about the party of FDR, Truman, and JFK….unifiers, not “identity politics.” But I know you would disagree! Trump also appears to have won over more “classically non-Republican” voters (union members—NOT union leaders, minorities, etc.). @Graust

Identity politics. Ya. I was watching PBS as per usual tonight. Their WH reporter is shatteringly beautiful. But she was reporting that Harris had phone calls or zoom meetings or in-person rallies with Racial Bloc A, Racial Bloc B, Racial Bloc C, Racial Bloc D. And even white voters. (These were all-women events.) I'm so tired of that junk, I admit. How about addressing AMERICAN voters, eh? Jaypers. And neither can I do "woke." ..."Woke" just means: forget about common sense. Re-make reality in your own image. You don't like the way things are? Like a two-sex universe? Just ignore it and spend your days fighting windmills, like Don Quixote. Some things are simply foundational and not subject to debate. Gay and lesbian? OK. Just don't try to feed me this 8-gender Alternative Reality. There. I guess I just exploded someone's day.
  • @Crash
    Neither of the major Party candidates will get my vote this time, anyhow.
    What other choices do you have in HI?

Thank you.
  • @Graust
    You and everyone have been civil in this thread. We should all appreciate this. You have been honest about your moderate R political feelings.
    I can't vote for the 'R' presidential/VP ticket and related state and local R's who fully support that ticket.
    If we were chatting at the local restaurant and having coffee; what are 3 items you would express to me as to why I should consider voting the R ticket vs the D ticket?
    I chose 3 major items, as I feel this may be enough for many voters to lean in one direction or another. If there are more, please feel free to list those, too.

Thank you.
  • edited July 26
    I can answer maybe... of course it's going to be the R talking points. The border and city crime. I'm not sure what the 3rd item will be. I agree they need to be addressed and I think there are many common concerns that "normal" D and R voters agree on. The problem is the us against them discourse rather than how can we work together on our common problems and compromise on the others. The extreme factions of the parties along with their media partners are now at the point of ANYTHING you are for we're against and that continues to divide us. As far as the media, the disagreements draw eyeballs. They figured out long ago if you can divide people, make them mad at each other you make more money. Our society eats it up, just look at our sports teams etc... We're great, you suck rah, rah,rah... old time tribalism.
  • edited July 26
    @Graust - if we could for a moment let's discuss the border thing for a minute. It's been contentious for a long time and after much give and take the two parties settled on a compromise of sorts to move forward. STOP. Trump stepped in and said no way. Other than some political grandstanding (who gets the credit for finding a solution) can you explain why the compromise was blown up?

As for crime in the cities numerous reports and studies indicate that it went up during Trumps term and has gone down since then. I'm guessing that you can do a web search as easily as I can but I'll start you out anyway.

ABC News says it's a misperception

NBC News

PEW Research Center What the Data Says About Crime in the US
  • catch22 said:

@Crash

Neither of the major Party candidates will get my vote this time, anyhow.
    What other choices do you have in HI?

Thank you.
    My primary ballot is already counted and registered. In Nov, there's Harris, Trump, Kennedy, West, Stein. Assuming they all qualify to get on the ballot, as with the other States.:)
  • edited July 28
    @Graust, you said:
    is anyone (Democratic voters) frustrated by Vice President Harris being chosen by a small group of Democratic leaders? We have said this in our house a lot, and how it seems non-Democratic.
    Your description of the process is wrong. Harris has been, or will be, nominated to run by the vote of delegates to the convention. It has worked that way for a very long time. Nothing has changed.

No one else chose to run against Harris. She was endorsed by every realistic potential candidate against her.

It should be obvious that there can't be a contest without competition. This just happened at the GOP convention. All of the candidates opposed to Trump dropped out and endorsed him. None of them forced a floor vote. None of them can be credibly thought of as a small group of Republican leaders that chose Trump. End of story.

• @WABAC. Could never have said it better.
  • @WABAC- Well, to answer the original question, you appear to be gruntled. Me too.