Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Rotation City. U.S. equity and bonds

13»

Comments

• edited July 24
    PRESSmUP said:

AT&T shareholders are basking in the limelight today. When's the last time THAT's ever happened?

I wonder how much of AT&T is still devoted to their old, core, legacy phone (and more recently, internet) business? I read your post, and noticed that my Bell Canada was my only winner today. BCE.

BCE owns the CTV and TSN networks, north of the border, plus licensing rights to a bunch of other popular stuff. But they are heavily invested in a modernization, with fiber build-out, which should be pretty nearly finished. Regulatory decisions lately have not been favorable. But it's such a fixture of their economy, there's not much to worry about, and the stock trades near 52-week lows at the moment--- though up 0.82% today, while the whole universe was busy cratering.

• @JD_co Could you tell me which one of Mag7 is leading the race to the most "down" since 7/11 ?
  • @Crash AT&T’s business and consumer wireline revenues account for ~25% of quarterly revenues, and show a slow but steady decline. This is offset by growth in their mobility segment plus fiber. 40% of fiber customers end up with their combined wireless plan. *I had their wireless plan and then went to fiber. I get better internet speeds, equal programming with DirectTV for $100 less a month than Spectrum. AT&T also expects a bump due to the upcoming upgrade cycle of the new Apple phones.

I’ve got to think BCE will benefit from many of the same technology shifts as AT&T with their similar fiber buildout, but the market doesn’t appear to be in agreement.

• edited September 3
    The link is now populated with August 2, Friday closing data (August 2, 4:20 pm)

POSTED: August 2, Friday at 12:30 am.

ADD: you may use the link to follow the sectors markets with the U.S. markets open on August 2, Friday.

NOTE: this link is for the August 1 close. You may see some active changes, depending when you view this and Asia markets are open.

I'll place this link again, so folks don't have to look back to the first page of this post.

Major global and U.S. etf categories This list is set with %Chg, which will be for changes for today, August 1, Thursday; being from most positive to most negative returns.
  • edited August 2
    FWIW: For the past week or so the great preponderance of financial news in the Business Section of the WSJ have been negative. Major layoffs, store closings, poor performance, failure to meet analyst expectations, bankruptcies.

Just sayin'...
  • Since the peak on July 10, the MAG 7 have given up -13.3%, or $2.26 trillion, in market cap, which has now fallen to a still very high $14.7 trillion, where they’d first been on May 28 (at highs ~$17 trillion).

They started out the year closer to $11.8 trillion. TRILLION.
  • Bumping up
  • For this early Monday morning (7 am), the futures are UGLY red for many sectors.
    FINVIZ futures.
  • Per WSJ, which to me kind of implies muted panic is in the air this morning...

Investors are piling into bets that the Federal Reserve will respond to signs of weakness in the economy with more aggressive interest-rate cuts.

Futures prices now imply the Fed will cut rates to a range of 4% to 4.25% by year-end, according to CME Group data. That would require 1.25 percentage points in cuts over its meetings in September, November and December.

A larger September rate cut is now expected by a majority of investors. Futures imply a 94.5% chance of a half-percentage point cut at that meeting, up from 74% on Friday and just 11% a week ago, according to CME Group.

A week ago, investors had expected just 0.75 percentage point of cuts this year, or three quarter-point reductions.

• Per WSJ- hardly a "crash", but certainly a tech correction:

S&P 500 -2.02%
    DJIA -1.92%

Technology -4.63%

and! ... DJT -8.56%
  • edited August 5
    Old_Joe said:

Per WSJ- hardly a "crash", but certainly a tech correction:

S&P 500 -2.02%
    DJIA -1.92%

Technology -4.63%

and! ... DJT -8.56%

DonOLD is already out with a screed blaming the swoon on Harris' candidacy ... and I'm sure he'll be out with a follow-up when the markets roar higher, claiming it's 'anticipation' of his return to power. The overgrown toddler still wants to live in a heads-I-win, tails-you-lose world.

I've not made any stock moves yet today, btw.

• I think the best we could do about the person who believes in any publicity is good publicity is to not give any publicity.

I wish the click bait and attention seeking media recognizes the above; unfortunately, the media depends on those for revenue but we can exercise restraint.
  • edited August 6
    Per a request, this link is added to this thread.
    The data shown is an indicative gauge of direction and isn't a monitor of trading in an open and active market. REF: Finviz shows about +5% at midnight for Japan; while the active and open market there is +10% at this time.
    FINVIZ futures
  • catch22 said:

Per a request, this link is added to this thread.
    The data shown is an indicative gauge of direction and isn't a monitor of trading in an open and active market. REF: Finviz shows about +5% at midnight for Japan; while the active and open market there is +10% at this time.
    FINVIZ futures

This post will get buried very soon. Is it not possible to add FinViz to your opening post?
    Thanks
  • Why not just bookmark the link on your browser? Then it's always easily available.
  • @BaluBalu I've added the FINVIZ link to the first page of this thread.
    @Old_Joe makes an excellent point about 'Bookmarks'. When viewing the list of threads, one will see the 'star symbol' at the right page edge for each thread. Select this star to bookmark a thread. The star will change to a 'gold' color. The bookmark will also now be placed into your Bookmarks, that can be viewed and selected in the list of choices under the 'start a discussion' area to the left page edge. You may also 'de-select' a bookmark that you no longer need. When a thread is bookmarked, one will also receive an email indicating a new comment for that thread has be posted.
    I use a laptop, so I can't provide how the MFO screens appear on a smart phone or tablet.
  • I regularly use the bookmark feature and have a few threads bookmarked.